Crown XLS 1502 amp Impression

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That may be the trend in terms of efficiency/watt/lb, Crown Audio XLS digital class D > Lyngdorf's 100% (claimed) digital > QSC DCA or Emotiva Gen3 SMPS+class AB+H rail tracking > Benchmark AHB1 SMPS+class AB > ATI's class AB > Passlab's class A/AB..etc. I have no idea why Lyngforf TDAI-2107 is so much heavier than Crown's class D, when both are very digital, it could be the heat sinks because the Lyngdorf is most likely fanless.

Geez, I wish the Crown amp looked like this Lyngdorf amp (minus the price tag). :D

I mean it’s nothing special, but just simple.

I guess the Outlaw mono-block amp looks pretty good.

One thing I like about the Crown XLS 2nd Gen is the sensitivity setting. I can’t remember if the 1st gen also allows you to turn off all the lights/display.

I also love the volume/gain knob no these amps, which I think helps make setup even easier. Audiophile amps don’t have these gain/volume knobs. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Geez, I wish the Crown amp looked like this Lyngdorf amp (minus the price tag). :D

One thing I like about the Crown XLS 2nd Gen is the sensitivity setting. I can’t remember if the 1st gen also allows you to turn off all the lights/display.

I also love the volume/gain knob no these amps, which I think helps make setup even easier. Audiophile amps don’t have these gain/volume knobs. :D
No, gen 1 had no way to turn off the lights....I taped little pieces of black cardboard over the blue headlights :) Nice to have clipping indicators, too...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd love to hear your impressions. I have no experience with Crown stuff, but, it seems to me like they have the whole power thing figured out.
Well, let me tell you. I am 100% impressed with this Crown XLS 1502.

I’ve been listening all day today (I’m off work today since I worked this weekend :D) to most of my music (classical, pop, rock, folk, jazz).

BTW, Sarah Jarosz “Song Up in Her Head” is a sweet sweet album! Love it! :D

I don’t want to use any colorful adjectives because I don’t want to sound like Stereophile. :D

But I might as well just copy and paste those adjectives from Stereophile here.

The singers and instruments sound like they are in my freaking room - as lively, dynamic, and real as can possibly be.

The objective: cool temp that never seems to get even warm, 8 LBS weight, fan does come on but is as silent as they get (inaudible).

The subjective: this Crown (XLS 2nd Gen amp that I paid a little over $300 from Amazon) sounds every damn bit as awesome as any amp I have ever heard in my life.

The aesthetics: getting better, but somebody please put this thing in an inexpensive simple case like the Outlaw amp and we would have ourselves a total winner. :D

In conclusion, I love the sensitivity setting, the gain knobs, and the settings on this amp. The sound is as sweet and awesome as any amp I have ever heard.

But, of course, to be real, all this awesome dynamic prestige sound is more dependent on the actual speakers, room, and Dynamic EQ, than the amp itself. ;)

I highly recommend this amp.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, gen 1 had no way to turn off the lights....I taped little pieces of black cardboard over the blue headlights :) Nice to have clipping indicators, too...
Yeah, love the clipping indicators for sure. The indicators never go higher than the 1st notch, though. :D

But it is cool to see it. :D

Love: ability to turn off all lights (except green clipping indicators); 0.77v or 1.4v sensitive option; cool and light; silent fan; awesome sound.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well, let me tell you. I am 100% impressed with this Crown XLS 1502.

I’ve been listening all day today (I’m off work today since I worked this weekend :D) to most of my music (classical, pop, rock, folk, jazz).

I don’t want to use any colorful adjectives because I don’t want to sound like Stereophile. :D

But I might as well just copy and paste those adjectives from Stereophile here.

The singers and instruments sound like they are in my freaking room - as lively, dynamic, and real as can possibly be.

The objective: cool temp that never seems to get even warm, 8 LBS weight, fan does come on but is as silent as they get (inaudible).

The subjective: this Crown (XLS 2nd Gen amp that I paid a little over $300 from Amazon) sounds every damn bit as awesome as any amp I have ever heard in my life.

The aesthetics: getting better, but somebody please put this thing in an inexpensive simple case like the Outlaw amp and we would have ourselves a total winner. :D

In conclusion, I love the sensitivity setting, the gain knobs, and the settings on this amp. The sound is as sweet and awesome as any amp I have ever heard.

But, of course, to be real, all this awesome dynamic prestige sound is more dependent on the actual speakers, room, and Dynamic EQ, than the amp itself. ;)

I highly recommend this amp.
I really like the Hypex N Core modules that ATI is using, they just are not cost prohibitive for many (excellent distortion #s), and may not have a noticeable or discernible difference.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Alright, I just got a Crown XLS 1502 amp from Amazon.

To level match with the ATI 3005 amp (using Galaxy digital SPL), the Crown front volume knobs need to be set 2 clicks down from Max volume (18 clicks from zero). There are 20 clicks total from zero to max. At 100% max volume (20 clicks), the Crown is 3dB louder than the ATI amp.

I will be listening to my music the next few days with the Crown amp. Will it sound as good as other audiophile amps?

I will see if the fans come on after 6 hours of continuous play.

Will also post a pic or two when I get a chance.
Lolo, You just couldn't help yourself huh?.lol The comparison with anesthetics between the old car could be used as a cover front on Crown's next magazine cover. Every DJ that Clubs, private parties all that I have seen use Crown amps. Never had the chance to demo one for home use. I was at a club recently and have to say them amps have gonads. Sure hope that last sentence doesn't make me sound like a stereophile. Would You say that You may have over paid for your other amps now? I pretty much already know what you're going to say it's your hobbie and your money. Can't disagree with that nice thread ADGT. Two thumbs up and a 3 and 1/2 star entertainment rating.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
AcuDefTechGuy said:
"The subjective: this Crown (XLS 2nd Gen amp that I paid a little over $300 from Amazon) sounds every damn bit as awesome as any amp I have ever heard in my life."

Love it! So true!

Hear that Mark Levinson?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
AcuDefTechGuy said:
"The subjective: this Crown (XLS 2nd Gen amp that I paid a little over $300 from Amazon) sounds every damn bit as awesome as any amp I have ever heard in my life."

Love it! So true!

Hear that Mark Levinson?
Well, they are both technically owned by the same company...

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
The only thing I've noticed with my XLS 2502 Series 2 at idle (with the volume all the way down) is a slight hiss. But you have to put your ear next to the speaker to hear it. No biggy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only thing I've noticed with my XLS 2502 Series 2 at idle (with the volume all the way down) is a slight hiss. But you have to put your ear next to the speaker to hear it. No biggy.
No biggie for sure. When I auditioned the B&W 800D and Classe Amp at a dealer, I heard plenty of hiss sound also.

When I owned the Emotiva 200x7 amp, I heard plenty of hiss.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, but the Crown is more reasonably priced and easier to lift. ;)
And isn't pumping excess heat into the area where your electronics are?
You mean like it is not 1970?!
Whaa? When did that happen?
Is this the future!?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Gain knobs are a luxury item, for sure. Same with the sensitivity setting.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have several electronics pieces that have electrical tape over the lights. If you are careful with it, you can do a really good job and nobody will even notice it.

Last time I had an internet tech in the house for troubleshooting, the first thing he said was "your modem is dead", then I showed him the strip of tape that just looked like plastic trim :cool:

Yeah, I also hate lights in my HT stack.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
"Hiss" is typically indicative of a little gain-structure mismatch (i.e. too much gain).

You "should" be able to dial that out with the gain knobs on the amp, turn them down slightly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And isn't pumping excess heat into the area where your electronics are?
You mean like it is not 1970?!
Whaa? When did that happen?
Is this the future!?
I wonder if it's also more reliable?

Great sound, more power, more control (sensitivity, gain knob, lights) Less heat, light weight, lower cost, reliability?

If so, it is truly the future of amps (as long as they at least make it look more like the Outlaw mono-block :D).

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Fine adjusting the gain structure of the whole setup could minimize hiss, but all amps hiss if you glue your ear to the grille and if you have normal hearing with no loss at the hiss frequency band.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Fine adjusting the gain structure of the whole setup could minimize hiss, but all amps hiss if you glue your ear to the grille and if you have normal hearing with no loss at the hiss frequency band.
Are we talking about hiss or (mechanical) hum?

I have more than 1 system where I can power everything up, crank up all of my gains and volume knobs with no material playing, put my ear right on the tweeter, and hear absolute silence.

I cannot always achieve that goal, but that is my goal. If I can't achieve that, then you can start tweaking down the gain knob until you get dead silence. At that point, any hiss won't be audible once the music is playing anyway.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis