What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Have only heard the Red. I have a good relationship with a bricks-and-mortar dealer here, maybe I'll stop by and see if he has one mounted. Having just bought the Clearaudio I probably won't be in the market for a new moving magnet cartridge but I am restoring a SANYO belt drive table, it isn't much but someone will want it.

So you never know, I will have to put something on it and I don't think I want to get rid of anything I have. Maybe I can find a low mileage Ortofon Red. Would be better than the Audio-Technica AT95 or Shure M91 that usually go with something like that, neither of which I'm too crazy about.

Even though there is supposed to be some kind of "vinyl revival' going on the reality is even HiFi nuts are about 98% digital today. But it's not about the hardware, it's about the 90+ % of music that will never be released on digital that we want to play.

Regards.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Bought this KEF Kube 10b sub off a fellow Facebook KEF Owner's Group member for $450, list is $600. Figured with KEF's success in the LS50 Wireless' amps, they may have finally figured out what to do with subwoofers. For the first time in a long while, the specs for frequency response of their subs actually shows below 25hz +/-3dB. For a 10" one with 300 watt amp, showing 24hz is fair. It's the DSP work they've done lately that appealed too; it's got a 3-position switch for Corner, Wall/Cabinet, or Open (area.) They've also incorporated "iBX" Intelligent Bass Extension to keep excursion controlled for various volume levels.

I'd fixed two older KEF PSW2150 subs for a friend just last year and swore I'd never buy one because 'they make great speakers but should stay out of the subwoofer business.' I now needed a decent sub for tight spaces in my office, to pair with my KEF R100 bookshelf speakers and NAD D3020 amp. The amp has a simple 80hz crossover or high pass filter to engage and send a signal to a sub. I set the sub's crossover to 90hz and gain at about 1/3rd up. Set the DSP to "wall" and threw it next to my desk. Seemed to work best angled toward me a little, still zero localization. Sounds great! Fingers crossed on reliability but the previous owner will cover me with the warranty, he bought it from an authorized dealer he named.
As_recvd.jpg
wrapped.jpg

Attachments

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
This might be against the forum rules, as it will eventually be a commercial product. To that end I have obscured some parts of the assembly so that the brand can't be read, and I'm not at this point offering any clues as to price point, where to buy (eventually), and so on. Hopefully that gives me the room to leave this up. This is the first and only forum where this will be posted.

If anyone has had the patience and curiosity to read my sig, they might have noticed the lines:
" ...
Under Evaluation:
Various Phono Preamp designs (DIY)
Currently developing a commercial Moving Coil Step-Up Transformer product.
..."

Well, the first prototype has been built, and it will be making the rounds for evaluation over the next few months. I'm excited about the whole project and just want to share. It is, technically ... some "new stuff that I've bought (for much more than just one copy is worth) and I do "care to share". That's all I will say as of now.

Rear_LG copy800x redacted.jpg
Front_LG copy800x redacted.jpg

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
New Toy:

Is replacing an old one - see below (nothing wrong with it, just wanted an upgrade and have minor gripes with some of its design)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Ordered the Echo Dot so I can play my LSR305's at work. Hopefully the headphone out isn't controlled by the fooltard nanny like cell phones volume control is.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ordered the Echo Dot so I can play my LSR305's at work. Hopefully the headphone out isn't controlled by the fooltard nanny like cell phones volume control is.
I got one for free when i signed back up for dish Network. It does have volume buttons on top. I’ve never tried volume control by Alexa, but would assume if you DID want to, it would work. Siri can set the volume on my phone when I airplay to my airport express. “Hey Siri, set volume to xx percent” or whatever.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It should work just fine, I've used Dots with studio monitors and other small powered speakers and you can control volume via the Dot's volume buttons or voice commands.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My Very first one. :)

H2ofloss(hf-8) professional oral irrigator--- easy to use

• Easy to use:
Water control on handle
There are 5 pressure setting,from low(L)-high(H),and one pause(P) setting on handle,
the user can adjust pressure setting or stop it conveniently.
Enabled with 120V/60HZ outlet.

You just need 3 steps to make your teeth cleaner and brighter.
1) filling water into the tank;
2) then install the tips;
3) finnally press "on "button;
It is suggested that point the tips along the gum to floss.

• High volume water reservoir with cover:
It is 800ml and can last at least 150 seconds per tank of water, the cover keeps water reservoir dust-proof.

• Smart tip storage with cover:
Inside the tip storage space, a removable plastic slot is included,easy to take out and keep tips.
At least 7 tips can be inserted in order with plastic slot.
20 tips can be storaged together if no need for plastic slot.
Powerful pulse water

• Powerful pulse water:
5-110 PSI with pause (p) button----Choose your best pressure setting.
Pulse water frequency is 1200 times/minute, since 1200 times/minute is the most comfortable frequency according to survey.

• What can pulsating water do ?
Pulsating water from h2ofloss oral irrigator can quickly clean up plague, food debris,bacteria
between your teeth and gum which is hard for teethbrush and floss to clean.
What's more, pulsating water could also massage teeth gum and keep them healthy.

Multifunctional uses

• Including 12 Multifunctional tips:

Jet tips: 4 pieces
Periodontal tips: 2 pieces
Orthodontic tips: 2 pieces
Tongue cleaning tips: 2 pieces
Nasal tip(water spray): 1 piece
Nasal tip(water column):1 piece

• The multi-function irrigator that satisfied your daily hygiene needs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No worries!
I have that set-up and love it!
If the output of the dot is holding back the LSR305, it is not enough to bother me.
The best approach volume command is "Alexa, set volume to 6". This is 6 on a scale of 10 and where I like it for listening in my living room (I normally run it at 3 as back-ground music). I tested level 10 and it was over-bearing for me, but I wouldn't say it blasts me out of the room.
Generally, I would conclude that unless you are in a wide open space and like it loud, you will be happy.
Note that I have the volume knob on the backs of the monitors at their max setting.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A pair of Philharminic BMR's!
Should be shipping soon (Probably Friday or Monday)!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nice speakers. I have a question about all the measurement graphs for Dennis' speakers. Why are all the graphs showing only from 200hz on up? Of course they're ruler flat across in that way, but most others show how a speaker drops off at it's lower end. Why the difference?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My Very first one. :)

H2ofloss(hf-8) professional oral irrigator--- easy to use

• Easy to use:
Water control on handle
There are 5 pressure setting,from low(L)-high(H),and one pause(P) setting on handle,
the user can adjust pressure setting or stop it conveniently.
Enabled with 120V/60HZ outlet.

You just need 3 steps to make your teeth cleaner and brighter.
1) filling water into the tank;
2) then install the tips;
3) finnally press "on "button;
It is suggested that point the tips along the gum to floss.

• High volume water reservoir with cover:
It is 800ml and can last at least 150 seconds per tank of water, the cover keeps water reservoir dust-proof.

• Smart tip storage with cover:
Inside the tip storage space, a removable plastic slot is included,easy to take out and keep tips.
At least 7 tips can be inserted in order with plastic slot.
20 tips can be storaged together if no need for plastic slot.
Powerful pulse water

• Powerful pulse water:
5-110 PSI with pause (p) button----Choose your best pressure setting.
Pulse water frequency is 1200 times/minute, since 1200 times/minute is the most comfortable frequency according to survey.

• What can pulsating water do ?
Pulsating water from h2ofloss oral irrigator can quickly clean up plague, food debris,bacteria
between your teeth and gum which is hard for teethbrush and floss to clean.
What's more, pulsating water could also massage teeth gum and keep them healthy.

Multifunctional uses

• Including 12 Multifunctional tips:

Jet tips: 4 pieces
Periodontal tips: 2 pieces
Orthodontic tips: 2 pieces
Tongue cleaning tips: 2 pieces
Nasal tip(water spray): 1 piece
Nasal tip(water column):1 piece

• The multi-function irrigator that satisfied your daily hygiene needs.
Nice, I just bought a new Remington Lithium powered personal hair trimmer .........

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nice speakers. I have a question about all the measurement graphs for Dennis' speakers. Why are all the graphs showing only from 200hz on up? Of course they're ruler flat across in that way, but most others show how a speaker drops off at it's lower end. Why the difference?
I'd prefer @Dennis Murphy answer that, but I think it has to do with his measurement technique not being able to properly eliminate room interactions at lower frequencies. Hopefully Dennis will check in before long and give you a more specific answer.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
No worries!
I have that set-up and love it!
If the output of the dot is holding back the LSR305, it is not enough to bother me.
The best approach volume command is "Alexa, set volume to 6". This is 6 on a scale of 10 and where I like it for listening in my living room (I normally run it at 3 as back-ground music). I tested level 10 and it was over-bearing for me, but I wouldn't say it blasts me out of the room.
Generally, I would conclude that unless you are in a wide open space and like it loud, you will be happy.
Note that I have the volume knob on the backs of the monitors at their max setting.
My phone, among others at work are nearly inaudible on their own speaker to start with. Then a msg pops up warning against excessive volume. I would have to root access my phone to get it to output more.

It has to be better than that.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I'd prefer @Dennis Murphy answer that, but I think it has to do with his measurement technique not being able to properly eliminate room interactions at lower frequencies. Hopefully Dennis will check in before long and give you a more specific answer.
That's about it. My measurement software is anechoic (free from any room reflections) down to around 250 Hz. At that point the wave lengths are too long to be captured by the very short anechoic burst signal, and my software widens the duration of the test signal to capture some of the bass response. But that also allows time for room reflections to reach the mic, and what you see with any speaker is pretty messy. There will be a big dip around 120 Hz caused by floor bounce cancellation. The woofer response hits the floor and bounces back out of phase, to create a cavity in the response. Below that point, you generally see a peak at around 70 Hz, which is the area for a room mode in most modest sized rooms. Below that, the measurements don't have enough resolution to capture bass response accurately. Even the Canadian NRC's anechoic chamber can only measure bass response down to about 80 Hz. An alternative is to do a nearfield measurement of the woofer and port (with the mic only 1/4" away from the driver to avoid room effects), but splicing the port response and the woofer response onto the anechoic response is very tricky.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That's about it. My measurement software is anechoic (free from any room reflections) down to around 250 Hz. At that point the wave lengths are too long to be captured by the very short anechoic burst signal, and my software widens the duration of the test signal to capture some of the bass response. But that also allows time for room reflections to reach the mic, and what you see with any speaker is pretty messy. There will be a big dip around 120 Hz caused by floor bounce cancellation. The woofer response hits the floor and bounces back out of phase, to create a cavity in the response. Below that point, you generally see a peak at around 70 Hz, which is the area for a room mode in most modest sized rooms. Below that, the measurements don't have enough resolution to capture bass response accurately. Even the Canadian NRC's anechoic chamber can only measure bass response down to about 80 Hz. An alternative is to do a nearfield measurement of the woofer and port (with the mic only 1/4" away from the driver to avoid room effects), but splicing the port response and the woofer response onto the anechoic response is very tricky.
Dennis, I sent you a PM asking if there was anyone in my zip code area that has bought from you. Would like to meet up with them and give your speakers a listen if at all possible. Have not heard back from you. Please get back to me in a PM as soon as you can. It would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMG_1504.JPG

The Magician was a short-lived (one season) TV show starring Bill Bixby. The claim is he performed his own magic tricks (no trick photography). Series ran in the 1973-74 season. I barely remembered it, that's why I snapped up the DVD as soon as available. And am a major Joan Crawford fan, added another to my collection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis