Mounting Speakers Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
Hello everyone!

I am very proud to have just joined this forum. I am upgrading my theater and had some questions I have not been able to find the answer to. I have just upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha RX-A3070. I have a 7.2 set up and would like to add the height or ceiling speakers. I will be using the speakers in the link below. These can be mounted flush to the ceiling firing straight down. Is this an optimal set up?

Also how should the speaker be mounted? The tweeter facing the the front ot the room, which would basically be upside-down or facing toward the back of the room

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&CollId=PSeriesBravoII(BostonAcoustics_US)&Pid=Bravo20(BostonAcoustics)

Thanks in advance for any advice provided!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello everyone!

I am very proud to have just joined this forum. I am upgrading my theater and had some questions I have not been able to find the answer to. I have just upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha RX-A3070. I have a 7.2 set up and would like to add the height or ceiling speakers. I will be using the speakers in the link below. These can be mounted flush to the ceiling firing straight down. Is this an optimal set up?

Also how should the speaker be mounted? The tweeter facing the the front ot the room, which would basically be upside-down or facing toward the back of the room

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&CollId=PSeriesBravoII(BostonAcoustics_US)&Pid=Bravo20(BostonAcoustics)

Thanks in advance for any advice provided!
Both links from the other guys are solid and I think your plan is good enough. I would personally go in ceiling but I understand that’s a lot more invasive. My biggest question is the dispersion of the BA speakers. Will it be wide enough? As far as the tweeters are concerned, I would try to aim them toward the LP.

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
Hey thanks everyone!

The dispersion pattern was another thing I was wondering about on these speakers. Unfortunately I could not find out any information on that. I can't aim the tweeters either, so they would face directly down overhead. I could mount them on the side wall like in the diagram below. I just don't know if that is better or worse.

Attachments

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey thanks everyone!

The dispersion pattern was another thing I was wondering about on these speakers. Unfortunately I could not find out any information on that. I can't aim the tweeters either, so they would face directly down overhead. I could mount them on the side wall like in the diagram below. I just don't know if that is better or worse.
I think if you can't tilt the speakers down if they're on the wall, it might be more detrimental depending on what angle that is. If you mount them as front heights instead of overhead I think that would almost definitely give you a worse angle. Most likely directly overhead with the narrowest angle allowed might be best since you don't know the dispersion pattern.

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
Those were my initial thoughts. Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. Always good to get second and third opinions!

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
Does anyone know if Boston Acoustics would know the dispersion pattern on these speakers? I guess I could call and ask. What specifically do I need to know?

Thanks

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Hi Thom B

If you have not done so already google Dolby Atoms White Paper dated July 2017. I think this will answer most of your questions.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
fwiw, without knowing the speakers characteristics I would mount them in the traditional locations as marked on this pic and if possible aim them at the LP. If you have a higher ceiling you can aim them straight down and get wider coverage over the listening area(if that matters). Do you have enough processing, and amplifier channels available to do this?

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
Hey thanks everyone!

I should have enough power. I am using the Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070. I went with the Boston Bravo 20's because they match my main Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR975. I have matching center and surrounds. The Bravo 20's have the same style tweeter.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok that sounds good. I only asked because it wasn’t clear if you were going for 7.1.2, or 7.1.4. If the latter, you’ll need an external amp. Fwiw, you might consider a 5.2.4, as that would still be an upgrade to 7.1 AND 7.1.2.

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
So I looked in detail at everything provided and did my own research as well. I still don't know how the speakers should be mounted. I am using standard rectangular speakers not in-ceiling speakers. They have a tweeter at the top and woofer at the bottom. Does anyone know which direction the tweeter and woofer should be facing? If it is mounted firing straight down on the ceiling, should the tweeter (top of the speaker) face the listener (back of the room) or other way around? I'm assuming the top of the speaker would face the listener. If using 4 then the back ceiling speakers ,the top of the speaker again would face the listener. I included a diagram to help. If this is common knowledge I apologize, but I want to mount these speakers correctly. Thanks again.

upload_2018-2-3_10-26-28.png

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
that’s how I could do it if I were mounting them on the ceiling.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think I might mount them the opposite way. The reason(in my little brain) is since the tweeters baffle is at a pretty good angle. To me, having the tweeters closer to the center of the room(opposite of your diagram) would put them too far off axis, and they would not jive either the bed channels as well as they should. I would mount them so as to point the tweeter more squarely to the LP. I also think looking at 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2. Hope I’m making some sense.

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
I think I might mount them the opposite way. The reason(in my little brain) is since the tweeters baffle is at a pretty good angle. To me, having the tweeters closer to the center of the room(opposite of your diagram) would put them too far off axis, and they would not jive either the bed channels as well as they should. I would mount them so as to point the tweeter more squarely to the LP. I also think looking at 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2. Hope I’m making some sense.
So, if I am understanding the Woofer (bottom of speaker) would face the side wall? and top of speaker would face the other side wall but toward the listener. I'm so confused lol. Hmmmm I never considered 5.1.4 I will have to look into that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ummm I’ll try again. Need more coffee lol.
So please forgive my archaic iPhone art. I would mount the speakers so the back of them is flush against the ceiling, so the front of the speaker is pointing straight toward the floor. Since the front of the speaker has the tweeter and the woofer at different angles(vs one flat baffle) it’s important to aim the tweeter towards the LP. In this example the tweeters are to the outside edges, therefore pointing them at the LP.

Alternately, having the speakers mounted so the tweeter is fore and aft, the tweeter would fire like this.

Does that help any? I can doodle up some more HD diagrams per request LOL!!!!!

Thom B

Thom B

Audiophyte
I think I got it! In your first diagram the speakers are basically sideways from my diagram. In your second the speakers are opposite of my diagram. What would be the advantage to this set up as opposed to the other? Just curious.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis