ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Purchased a set from KEF when they went on sale. I have tried three different times to like them, but just can't seem to take to them. Now I haven't tried them in a different room yet but I'm considering selling them. Problem I have is I normally regret selling my gear once it's gone. I really regret letting some JBL speakers go and now you can't get them. Just wandering if these KEF's are going to be one of those speakers that get discontinued and then I can't give them another go later on. I always loose money too on speakers so that weighs in on the questions to sell.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Purchased a set from KEF when they went on sale. I have tried three different times to like them, but just can't seem to take to them. Now I haven't tried them in a different room yet but I'm considering selling them. Problem I have is I normally regret selling my gear once it's gone. I really regret letting some JBL speakers go and now you can't get them. Just wandering if these KEF's are going to be one of those speakers that get discontinued and then I can't give them another go later on. I always loose money too on speakers so that weighs in on the questions to sell.
I'm with you (but this is "only" my second time). I bought a pair at the recent $1000 price, but they are going back to Amazon.
They do lots of things very well, and I can understand why they are popular. I have been procrastinating listening to them for specifics, but in general terms, they just seem a bit too closed in - not as open or airy.
I believe it is an artifact of the tweeter's waveguide (the surrounding woofer).
I listened to the new Klipsch Reference Premeir RP-150m vs the ls50 and it is amazing how similar they are in how they present the sound, but I liked the Klipsch better which kind of kills consideration of the ls50.
Until the latest generation of JBL and Klipsch, I always preferred minimal or no wave guides (not saying the JBL/Klipsch are better, just that they no longer stand out as a problem for me). I suspect you are experiencing the same.
I still want to try them as a ~3' near-field speaker to see if that changes the game.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I am looking at getting me a set of the LS50's. I agree it is a good deal at the $1K price range. Am also looking at the new Q350's. But, they are $650 a set so I might as well opt for the LS50's. Just can't order yet until I get some more things paid off first. No need to drown in debt. Hope to have a set in the very near future! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I also have a set of the Q100 in my bedroom and they are a great set of small speakers. Running in a 2.1 set up.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Purchased a set from KEF when they went on sale. I have tried three different times to like them, but just can't seem to take to them.
Babe Ruth even left home plate with 3 strikes

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I also have a set of the Q100 in my bedroom and they are a great set of small speakers. Running in a 2.1 set up.
How would you say the Q100's compare to the LS50's? Do you believe the LS50's are that much better than the Q100's? More specifically, do the LS50's offer more low end extension? Have read a lot of good things regarding the new Q350's. Would love to see just how these (3) compare. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The Q100 are not as bright but also not as detailed. Low end is a wash to me as I can't tell the difference between the two. The Q100 are more enjoyable to listen to for me. Yes the LS50 is a better speaker as the Q100 can touch it in respect to instrument separation and sound stage.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Q100 are not as bright but also not as detailed. Low end is a wash to me as I can't tell the difference between the two. The Q100 are more enjoyable to listen to for me. Yes the LS50 is a better speaker as the Q100 can touch it in respect to instrument separation and sound stage.
So, the LS50's are brighter and more detailed as compared to the Q100's? Sounds like the low end is very similar if nothing stands out between the two, no? My interests are using the Q100's, LS50's, or the Q350's w/o a sub only for 2 CH. That is why I am asking you such questions. The real question is, however, are the LS50's worth the $750 price difference? That is what I am really trying to ascertain here. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Personally, I REALLY want the LS50Ws as a pair of insanely awesome computer speakers. I got to demo the LS50s and really enjoyed them, but think they shine as a near-field speaker so always thought they'd be really great on my desktop for gaming and music when working.

As always though, only YOU can say what is most pleasing to you. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" has never been more true than when it comes to loudspeakers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I REALLY want the LS50Ws as a pair of insanely awesome computer speakers. I got to demo the LS50s and really enjoyed them, but think they shine as a near-field speaker so always thought they'd be really great on my desktop for gaming and music when working.

As always though, only YOU can say what is most pleasing to you. "One man's trash is another man's treasure" has never been more true than when it comes to loudspeakers.
Yeah, the LS50W's are very highly regarded. Some claim that they are much better sounding than the LS50's. However, they are also out of my price range. If I opt for the LS50's they will be used as desktop speakers. Glad to hear that they work well that way (nearfield). :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am going to set them up in my den where I have my RBH towers and see how they do. Acoustically the room is great. If I still don't take to them, then up for sale they go.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am going to set them up in my den where I have my RBH towers and see how they do. Acoustically the room is great. If I still don't take to them, then up for sale they go.
You have some very nice gear. Congrats to you on that. Looking forward to seeing if the LS50's do better for you in the Den. Appreciate the info!

Cheers,

Phil

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
https://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=941:nrc-measurements-kef-ls50-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

You can see a low q resonance centered at 2khz that covers a whole octave. That wavelength is 6.5 inches, so clearly the coaxial design has its limitations, and for this loudspeaker, that results in the coloration of a lot of midrange sounds. There are sounds that I hear on other loudspeakers with a singers voice, that I can't hear on the LS50. If you ignore that, they sound great, but when I heard them I couldn't ignore that given the price and recommended KEW send the first pair back.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
So if I'm reading your signature correctly the LSiM 703s are you mains and the Sierra & LS50 are being auditioned? Is that correct?

What do you like about the 703s and how do they compare to the others including the RBH in your opinion?

Thanks

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Try them with a good sub and if you still don't like them, return them. For me, they are very good with a sub. Most other speakers now sound to me like they are not very clear, like they are behind a curtain or pillow. It is hard to explain. But the imaging, clarity and separation of instruments, intricacies of singer's voice etc etc.

YMMV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
https://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=941:nrc-measurements-kef-ls50-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

You can see a low q resonance centered at 2khz that covers a whole octave. That wavelength is 6.5 inches, so clearly the coaxial design has its limitations, and for this loudspeaker, that results in the coloration of a lot of midrange sounds. There are sounds that I hear on other loudspeakers with a singers voice, that I can't hear on the LS50. If you ignore that, they sound great, but when I heard them I couldn't ignore that given the price and recommended KEW send the first pair back.
Yours is the first review I've ever seen that mentions this. I don't know what you know about "low q resonance", so I blissfully hear no such coloration. Every time I listen to LS50's I'm impressed, so I guess I can ignore that which I don't hear.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
KEF speakers are well regarded by many, and as a company were amongst the first to apply extensive research to loudspeaker technology. A great deal that we know about loudspeakers is due to research performed by KEF, going back to the 1970's.

I find KEF speakers to be decent performers but I rarely prefer them to other similarly priced candidates. I haven't heard the LS-50's so can't comment specifically, but I'm not surprised by your results.

I have heard many speakers constructed with KEF components (in particular, tweeters and mid drivers) that sounded excellent. So I don't feel they are poorly made, just that KEF's idea of the ideal overall balance isn't the same as my own.

Broadly speaking I would not expect someone who liked JBLs to like KEFs, and vice versa.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I agree that the LS50's bass and treble are superb, but I personally felt the cost of entry did not justify such a glaring, measurable, design error that resulted in inaccurate reproduction of sung voices - simply, there were notes left off the page.

The proof is in the off axis measurements. I'm not offering that to offend satisfied listeners, but there is uncertainty from some as to why they weren't quite so satisfied. A measured resonance in the midrange might explain that.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
I know that Dr. Toole had done extensive testing that showed that Spinorama could predict speaker performace as determined through user preferences. But, I personally have not been able to figure out which speaker will sound good by its frequency response or any other measurement. I have to hear the speaker to see if I like it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis