Under 10k - where to go?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The measurements look terrific to me. The only departure from linearity is the bass bump, which is an artifact of the measurement technique of splicing in a near field woofer plot below 300 Hz. The actual response is actually flat or nearly flat.
Agreed. I wonder if he is not looking at the spikiness in high frequencies in the dispersion measurement? Of course, that stuff isn't likely to be very offensive or notable, since it is so high up in frequency.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Agreed. I wonder if he is not looking at the spikiness in high frequencies in the dispersion measurement? Of course, that stuff isn't likely to be very offensive or notable, since it is so high up in frequency.
Probably only relevant for teenagers and golden retrievers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...The tricky part is that I already have something I like very much...
Yeah, the NHT is very good. Why change? :D Like big tower aesthetics?

I prefer towers that will allow active control of the bass/woofer section, instead of passive.

I think the previous XTZ Devine tower allows you to actively bi-amp the woofer. I'm not sure if the newer tower is the same here.

The NHT Classic Four tower's woofer can also be actively bi-amp.

Check out the RBH SVT Tower if you can. It's a modular tower (SV-831 top and SV-1212 bottom). The bottom cabinet (SV-1212) is actually a true big subwoofer that requires active amp.

http://www.audioholics.com/recommended-systems/towers-of-power-a-look-at-the-best-super-speakers

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, what are you looking for out of new speakers?
Is the NHT feeling too civilized/sophisticated?
Was it that Audioholics classed them with "Soundbars and satellite systems"?:p
Looking for something to dominate the room with excellent dynamics?
I say "Go big or go home!"

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Tough crowd here - I might just live with my active crossover speakers. To be honest I start doubting my initiative. The NHT xd kicks arse.
Speaking of the Cantons - I didn’t like the CSD

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Tough crowd here - I might just live with my active crossover speakers. To be honest I start doubting my initiative. The NHT xd keep kicks arse.
Speaking of the Cantons - I didn’t like the CDS
I still say that you might want to look closer at the Philharmonic 3's. As you can clearly see, they measure extremely flat even as far as 45 degrees off-axis. The RAAL tweeter is so highly regarded. Dennis has mentioned a few times that he makes like $6 an hour doing this. That being said, you will get a lot more for your money with Dennis's speakers. Not to mention he is a straight-shooter and is very active on this and several other forums. Just saying...........good luck w/your decision.

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Tough crowd here - I might just live with my active crossover speakers. To be honest I start doubting my initiative. The NHT xd keep kicks arse.
Speaking of the Cantons - I didn’t like the CDS
Damn, I was hoping you'd give me a deal on that "tired old speaker system".;)

Seriously, I came close to buying one several years ago when they had a few discounted close-outs being sold. NHT has good engineering/design and I figure this was their effort at the ultimate sound system. At the time, I just wasn't ready to part with that much coin. Always regretted that I didn't... and curious what they sound like.

Last edited:
B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Damn, I was hoping you'd give me a deal on that tired old speaker system.

Seriously, I came close to buying one several years ago when they had a few discounted close-outs being sold. NHT has good engineering/design and I figure this was their effort at the ultimate sound system. At the time, I just wasn't ready to part with that much coin. Always regretted that I didn't... and curious what they sound like.
At some point they were selling a 2.2 system for 3k. No one should pass on such deal. Love the sound but it may be missing a bit of lower mids. It has a 5”(4.5” piston) crossed to a 2x11” sub. And the tweeter is not a top one. That being said, it’s hard to beat a digital xover. It uses the drivers in the range they are most effective. And the xover slope is ridiculous- 108db or so

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
In my opinion you need a 4 way system to have drivers used properly without stretching them outside their true range. PBN B741 would be good with a big bad subwoofer I guess

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
With the tax season coming I might be able to pony up some money to upgrade my speakers. The tricky part is that I already have something I like very much (see signature). I've been looking at 2 towers:
if you have another speaker please speak up :) !
Coming from the speakers you have. Thoughts on upgrades I have heard.

OEM speakers.

REVEL F208, excellent all around speaker, best low end in the $3-$7k price range...these were roughly $5k.

Monitor Audio G300, I heard these right after the B&W session. More airy, open, but I wasn't crazy about this speaker 2.0...w/sub I like them a lot more...roughly $6k

B&W804D3, I noticed you didn't care much for the B&W line, but sinc eI heard this one a great deal...nice speaker but if you've been listening to flat speakers for a long time, the "B&W" sound is a tad warmer in the mids, but they have ramped up the tweeter in the D3. I've owned B&W for 20 yrs and I like the sound...now that I have Salks...I think B&W 800 series are really over priced now.

Legacy...If I were any where near the $10k price range, I think you have to hear the Focus Se.

Custom speakers.

Philharmonic audio.

Phil3...if you have the space to accommodate them. $4kish shipped...I haven't heard these, but I know 2 people that own them, one posts here on AH. The driver pkg, and the reputation of Dennis Murphy...these should be on your list.

Salk Sound

Song3A...$4k (shipped)...Jim Salk's new 3way model with the Accuton Midrange driver....I own a pair and will be posting my initial impression in a few days. I'll share this in the meantime...in a smallish room (seated 6-8' away), these will be great as 2.0 speakers. In a larger room, they would be a little light in the bass for my taste. Paired with the HSU subs, these speakers go to another price level entirely imo. The dual subs blended in just enough to add that extra little weight on the low end...when the drummer kicks the bass drum hard, you feel it a tad bit....awesome.

From the 4 weeks I've spent with this pairing...everything is there, clarity, detail, transparency, and loads of bass with the HSUs...for <$6k for the main/dual sub combo, I don't think I would spend $10k on a pair of speakers unless I just had an enormous listening room.

The con...transparency doesn't discriminate, your weaker recordings will be exposed maybe more than you anticipated or realized. Wait time.

JHMO...the Song3-A is going to go up in price soon.

VeracityST or HT2 TL...slightly more expensive, maybe even more transparent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Tough crowd here - I might just live with my active crossover speakers. To be honest I start doubting my initiative. The NHT xd kicks arse.
I don't think you need to spend more than $5K for some kick-a$$ towers of power.

Just go and listen to as many recommended speakers as you can and see if any of them actually sound better than the NHT XD system.

Towers of Power may offer more Dynamics and Bass, but they may not be your thing. Never know.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think you need to spend more than $5K for some kick-a$$ towers of power.

Just go and listen to as many recommended speakers as you can and see if any of them actually sound better than the NHT XD system.

Towers of Power may offer more Dynamics and Bass, but they may not be your thing. Never know.
For $5k stereo speaker pair, what I would do is stack two JBL LSR6332s on top of two Hsu VTF15h mk2 subwoofers. That will get you ruler flat frequency response, excellent dispersion characteristics, very wide dynamic range, and very low bass extension.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Would you take those over the Salon2? :D
More than anything I was looking for a great speaker that would be a totally radical change from the NHT Xd 2.2 (here is a pic and some links for anyone curious about the NHT):

https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1105nht/index.html
http://www.audioholics.com/soundbar-and-satellite-speaker-reviews/nht-xd-loudspeaker-system-review

As for the Salons, I have heard neither; but suspect the M2 has the advantage for sound quality, so it would get down to a question of looks vs SQ. Looks matter, but so does SQ! I'd have to listen to see how big the SQ gap really is.
OTOH, if I spent lots of time in the garage, it'd be the M2! Hands down! No question!:p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Tough crowd here - I might just live with my active crossover speakers. To be honest I start doubting my initiative. The NHT xd kicks arse!
Just a couple of ideas...
Do you have any other systems in your home?

What are you using for your PC system?
Why not experience some of that RAAL goodness on the cheap:
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/Mini-Monitor.html

Last year I happened upon a pair of M-L electrostatic Vistas on Craigslist for $1500. While they need 2-3 feet to the side and behind, I had room in my BR to set up a 6' on a side equilateral triangle with a bench at the foot of my bed and have really enjoyed the amazing electrostatic sound in the sweetdot (it is too small to call it a spot). Unlike the first time I heard e-stats 10 years ago, these do not fall completely apart when you leave the sweetdot, but the sweetdot is where the magic really happens. I am still undecided on adding subwoofers. The 8" bass modules M-L uses on these lower end e-stats does a very good job in my BR.

At this point, I don't think of the M-L as better or worse. More than anything, they sound different without sounding bad and that difference makes my favorite music (especially stuff with light details... but everything) new in an exciting way! Variety is the spice of life!

Good luck!

Edit: I wonder if you got that Philharmonic minis, how hard it would be to do a trial using them as your satellites in the Xd 2.2? They may be SPL limited (check with Dennis), but you could try at lower levels/sit closer. If you can properly integrate them, that might give you perspective on what you might realize from a world class tweeter!

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I never would have been happy to upgrade to an expensive speaker that supposedly does it all.

Just keep the good ones and collect more great ones. Every time I rotate another pair of speakers into play for whatever reason, it's like a new, great day.

Single brand audiophilia is for easy people. Multiple systems is where it's at if you're just out to blow money on this hobby.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis