Cheapest soundbar with HDMI in/out?

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
I handed down my old projector (Mits HC1500) and screen, and a Chromecast dongle, to my girlfriend's sister. It set up perfectly at her apartment until we realized that it has no speaker and she therefore has no sound.

Seems like the easiest and cheapest solution is to add a soundbar with HDMI in/out - cheaper even than some hand-me-down speakers which would require her to buy a receiver.

The best options I could find were the Yamaha YAS-107 and the Vizio SB3830, both 200 bucks. Is there anything out there cheaper? Hoping to find a solution for $100 if possible. Willing to buy used. Also willing to consider alternatives to the soundbar, but trying to keep it simple and user-friendly for her.

edit: the clarify what might be obvious, I'm thinking chromecast plugged into soundbar HDMI in, with the soundbar HDMI out sending video to the projector. If she wanted to she could also plug her laptop into the soundbar by pulling the chromecast.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I handed down my old projector (Mits HC1500) and screen, and a Chromecast dongle, to my girlfriend's sister. It set up perfectly at her apartment until we realized that it has no speaker and she therefore has no sound.

Seems like the easiest and cheapest solution is to add a soundbar with HDMI in/out - cheaper even than some hand-me-down speakers which would require her to buy a receiver.

The best options I could find were the Yamaha YAS-107 and the Vizio SB3830, both 200 bucks. Is there anything out there cheaper? Hoping to find a solution for $100 if possible. Willing to buy used. Also willing to consider alternatives to the soundbar, but trying to keep it simple and user-friendly for her.

edit: the clarify what might be obvious, I'm thinking chromecast plugged into soundbar HDMI in, with the soundbar HDMI out sending video to the projector. If she wanted to she could also plug her laptop into the soundbar by pulling the chromecast.
Honestly you're asking a lot for a soundbar to have HDMI and sound quality that will significantly better your TV for under $200. Your best bet is to buy used.

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
Well, considering my TV is a projector with no speaker in this case, literally ANY sound is infinitely better than what she has ;). So I'm truly looking for the cheapest box that I can plug the chromecast into that will send the video to the projector and make sound.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Checkout both Crutchfield and Bestbuy. Hontestly, you would not be happy with a $100 price range soundbar. Good luck!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis