lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting part from the article:
Yet, while vinyl sales are growing, some who buy the records don't actually play them. Last year a BBC/ICM poll found 48% of those questioned said they'd never played the vinyl they'd bought and 7% said they didn't even own a turntable.

These fans buy a vinyl album for the "feel" of owning a physical object and for the artwork that often comes with it - but they never actually play it.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yet, while vinyl sales are growing, some who buy the records don't actually play them. Last year a BBC/ICM poll found 48% of those questioned said they'd never played the vinyl they'd bought and 7% said they didn't even own a turntable.

These fans buy a vinyl album for the "feel" of owning a physical object and for the artwork that often comes with it - but they never actually play it.
wow......that's a little weird in my book !

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
There's a few motorcycle and car collectors who buy vehicles and never drive them, feeling their investment loses value. While perhaps true for very few limited edition vehicles, LP's are mass produced and someone else will always have an "unopened" copy of the one I've been listening to and enjoying for many years.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
I used to have a box full of vinyl but it got “lost” in the move. I think my ex must have ended up with it. That sucks. I asked, she said nope, didn’t have it. Still have a crappy Technics player that moved laterally across the disc. Sigh...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

I have something like 10 or 15 vinyls in my collection of ~200, never played, never opened. That's why it is a "collection".

Perhaps if it is something that I really want to listen to, then I have my "listening copy", and my unopened "collectors copy". :cool:

Or, you know, if you buy vinyl from Amazon, you get the auto-rip for free.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
What file type/size is the download Amazon affords?
It's just MP3. Honestly, I rarely even use their auto-rip feature, so I'm not a good resource on that.

It is kind of nice that once you order the vinyl (or CD), you can at least listen to the MP3 while you are waiting for the physical copy.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So in other words....garbage.

I ripped about 2200 songs in my collection to a MicroSD card down to MP3 format with Foobar so I could insert the card into my Garmin Zumo 665LM unit and listen to music while riding my motorbike. I ripped them as 320kbps and that's really the minimum I ever want to listen to.
Garbage is a bit overstated I think but YMMV and imagine doesn't matter on a motorcycle in any case, never tried that as I want to hear as much as I can when I'm on two wheels, altho I pedal my own two wheels mostly and never block my hearing, I either want to hear traffic or the sounds of the forest depending what I'm riding.

256 vbr is quite decent quality...be pretty hard to tell them from 320....I don't notice the difference when I mix them with the 320s I make whatsoever but then I'm usually in the van when I listen to them myself. I can use my FLAC files throughout the house....

I assume the auto rip on a vinyl purchase is not a needle drop in any case.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
CBS Records did dreadful jobs on sone of their half speed mssters. Billy Joel's "Stranger" album was one of them.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
No Vinyl but interesting.
EAGLES TO RELEASE HOTEL CALIFORNIA 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION ON NOVEMBER 24

Landmark Album Is Remastered And Expanded For The First Time
2-CD/1-Blu-ray Audio Collection Featuring Previously Unreleased Live Recordings

The Eagles’ Hotel California was a critical and commercial phenomenon when it was released in December 1976. The album topped the Billboard charts for eight weeks in the U.S., won two GRAMMY® Awards, sold more than 32 million copies around the world, and featured two Billboard #1 hit singles. 40 years later, it still ranks as one of the best-selling albums of all time.

This fall, the milestone album will add to its legendary lore with HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION, a new 2-CD/1-Blu-ray Audio that includes newly remastered sound, ten previously unreleased live recordings, as well as hi-res stereo and 5.1 mixes. Presented in an 11 x 11 hardbound book, the set also features rare and unseen photos from the era, a replica tour book, and an 11 x 22 poster. The collection will be available on November 24. Both a 2-CD Expanded Edition and 1-CD will also be available, along with digital download and streaming versions. Pre-order now on iTunes and Amazon HERE.

Exclusive bundles are also available for pre-order in the official Eagles Online Store, including the album, T-Shirt and keychain.

HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION opens with a newly remastered version of the original album, featuring two Billboard #1 singles — “New Kid In Town” and the title track — plus the smash hit “Life In the Fast Lane.” The album was nominated for five GRAMMY® Awards, and won for “Record of the Year” and “Best Arrangement For Voices.”

The set also marks the debut of ten live tracks that were recorded during the band’s three-night stand at the Los Angeles Forum in October 1976. The concert recordings — which were recorded about a month before the album came out — feature one of the first ever live performances of “Hotel California” and “New Kid In Town” along with other Eagles classics including “Already Gone,” “Take It To the Limit,” and “Witchy Woman.”

The Blu-ray Audio disc that accompanies HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION features the 5.1 Surround Sound mix originally released on DVD-A in 2001 along with a hi-resolution, 192 KHz/24-Bit stereo mix.

HOTEL CALIFORNIA: 40TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION
Track Listing

Disc One: Original Album
Hotel California
New Kid In Town
Life In The Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Wasted Time (Reprise)
Victim Of Love
Pretty Maids All In A Row
Try And Love Again
The Last Resort

Disc Two: Live at The Los Angeles Forum (October 1976)
Take It Easy
Take It To The Limit
New Kid In Town
James Dean
Good Day In Hell
Witchy Woman
Funk #49
One Of These Nights
Hotel California
Already Gone

Blu-ray Audio
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Advanced Resolution Multi-Channel Surround Sound (96 KHz/24-Bit)
Advanced Resolution Stereo (192 KHz/24-Bit)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis