Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
At $6500, the bass from full range speakers would cause as much problem as a subwoofer so good isolation would be a good idea whether speakers or subwoofer.
Who would actually spend $6500 on a turn table just hear more clicks and pops.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
LOL, you obviously know little about analog (vinyl)
Yes I do, I'm actually old enough to remember when vinyl was the only way to listen music. However it's time has come and go. Anyway, unless you tell me that vinyl doesn't have clicks and pops then maybe I don't know.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes I do, I'm actually old enough to remember when vinyl was the only way to listen music. However it's time has come and go. Anyway, unless you tell me that vinyl doesn't have clicks and pops then maybe I don't know.
Apparently, vinyl is out living the CD format. Properly maintained albums shouldn't have clicks and pops due to playing the album. The biggest culprit attributing to clicks and pops is static charge.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yes I do, I'm actually old enough to remember when vinyl was the only way to listen music.
the only way ?? oh and BTW it's turntable not 'turn table' !

However it's time has come and go. Anyway, unless you tell me that vinyl doesn't have clicks and pops then maybe I don't know.
properly cared for LP's have minimal clicks and pops, listened to my 40 plus year old copy of Steely Dan's Aja the other night and it is still pristine.

While you no longer listen to or enjoy 'black pizza', that's fine, continuing to insist it's time has come and gone just shows your ignorance........

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, vinyl's time has definitely gone. Just some clinging to it still.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Who would actually spend $6500 on a turn table just hear more clicks and pops.
You apparently have never sat down and listened to a high quality turntable with a well-matched cartridge playing a clean LP. I have, and there were ZERO clicks or pops. I couldn't even tell it was a turntable playing. I have a much lower level turntable and quite a few perfectly clean LP's, people who visit and get a demo always remark that it sounds better than any 'record player' they've ever heard.

Not true at all. Vinyl sales have increased dramatically the past few years. Many new releases. We'll see if it sustains, but there's been two new pressing plants opened in the US in the past year, with all new equipment, and they've adding more presses.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You apparently have never sat down and listened to a high quality turntable with a well-matched cartridge playing a clean LP. I have, and there were ZERO clicks or pops. I couldn't even tell it was a turntable playing. I have a much lower level turntable and quite a few perfectly clean LP's, people who visit and get a demo always remark that it sounds better than any 'record player' they've ever heard.

Not true at all. Vinyl sales have increased dramatically the past few years. Many new releases. We'll see if it sustains, but there's been two new pressing plants opened in the US in the past year, with all new equipment, and they've adding more presses.
I have a high quality tt and cartridge and clicks and pops still bother me, why I stopped buying vinyl for the most part. If one needs to buy a player for $6500 and maybe still need to use a filter to eliminate noises, it just seems an awfully expensive route to enjoying music (unless maybe you had many times that invested in vinyl records already perhaps).

I prefer the silence of digital as well as less maintenance required not to mention ease of use and versatility. Some records are better quality vinyl, which can help, but long time use, or buying used records, can definitely bring some surface noise into the equation. While a record is actually playing musical content much of that noise can be masked, it's those quiet passages disturbed by surface noise that make the experience less than stellar for me.

What's not true? That vinyl is a very small part of overall sales? A fad among the hipsters and 2ch marketers? Vinyl is now being made with digital masters, so what's the point? Just to play with vinyl in a tactile sense? Get hands on and read liner notes on a 12x12 piece of cardboard? Use some archaic mechanical devices to play "black pizza" on? I guess I'm jaded having grown up with the medium. :)

I also have surprised visitors when I get up to change a record and they thought it was a cd playing...the quality of vinyl can be quite good but still....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
New vinyl sales continues to grow but I too recognize that it will never sell in numbers like it before the lzunch of CD. Its inaccurate to describe it as clinging as its not. It remains a healthy niche market.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your memory is bad, there has always been options as to how to listen to music. Even before the 20th century you have the option of cylinder machines and the Berliner disc. And of course you had the player piano, with Pianola rolls and the equivalent for organs and don't forget the musical box.

Since 1948 we have had the LP which coexisted with the 78. AM radio started to be widely broadcast in the early 20s. 1948 also saw the introduction of FM broadcasting. The reel to reel recorder made great strides fast after WW II, and magnetic tape was found in Germany.

So this is the front end we had around 1955 at home.

Sugden turntable.

That plinth would have been added later. Our equipment was installed in an antique clothes chest. Tracking force was 10 GM!

Leak AM radio tuner.

FM broadcasting cam to the UK in 1955 and an HMV FM tuner was added. I can't find a picture of it.

The quality was then good enough to justify a Ferrograph tape recorder like this.

Preamp Leak RC/PA/U

Power amp Leak TL 10

So we had more than LP.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In a way it has gone. I have a large collection of LPs collected from about 1954 to 1984. I have added very little vinyl since. I do enjoy listening to my vinyl collection and there are very few pops and crackles. After leaving the UK I bought from a source that imported European pressings. The quality of a UK HMV pressing for instance was much higher than the US stamped Angel version of the same recording. I still have the first LP I bought, mono of course. I have the first stereo LP I bought, I seem to have lost the second, but I think that was the only one to go AWOL.

I have kept the playback gear of the period in good condition. So there is a museum aspect to it.

Truthfully though I find it hard to understand buying a turntable if you don't have a legacy collection. I would not do that anymore than I would master a recording on a reel to reel recorder rather than my DAW. I have to say there are some who would say I should.

I think I correctly regard my fine analog equipment as museum pieces, whose main function in addition to enabling me to enjoy my legacy collection, is to show how very well it worked. I must post some of the sound from my turntables in YouTube, I have already done a post of the reel to reel machines.

The fact is that digital technology has been a big advance, and the better the playback system, especially the speakers, the more obvious that becomes.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Apparently, vinyl is out living the CD format. Properly maintained albums shouldn't have clicks and pops due to playing the album. The biggest culprit attributing to clicks and pops is static charge.
But vinyl, which is analog, is not living out the digital era.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Your memory is bad, there has always been options as to how to listen to music. Even before the 20th century you have the option of cylinder machines and the Berliner disc. And of course you had the player piano, with Pianola rolls and the equivalent for organs and don't forget the musical box.

Since 1948 we have had the LP which coexisted with the 78. AM radio started to be widely broadcast in the early 20s. 1948 also saw the introduction of FM broadcasting. The reel to reel recorder made great strides fast after WW II, and magnetic tape was found in Germany.

So this is the front end we had around 1955 at home.

Sugden turntable.

Radio isn't playback material. I didn't think was relevant to this conversation to bring up radio.

That plinth would have been added later. Our equipment was installed in an antique clothes chest. Tracking force was 10 GM!

Leak AM radio tuner.

FM broadcasting cam to the UK in 1955 and an HMV FM tuner was added. I can't find a picture of it.

The quality was then good enough to justify a Ferrograph tape recorder like this.

Preamp Leak RC/PA/U

Power amp Leak TL 10

So we had more than LP.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
the only way ?? oh and BTW it's turntable not 'turn table' !

properly cared for LP's have minimal clicks and pops, listened to my 40 plus year old copy of Steely Dan's Aja the other night and it is still pristine.

While you no longer listen to or enjoy 'black pizza', that's fine, continuing to insist it's time has come and gone just shows your ignorance........
It's time has come and gone. That's not to say that vinyl doesn't exist all. However as a mainstream source for playback of music, it's time has gone. It was once a mainstream format, but it's not that today.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It's time has come and gone.
You said that the other day. You were wrong then as you are now. While it's mainstream status is clearly no longer, it for sure has had a 'cult' resurrection, whether you want to believe it or not.

If you don't have an interest, that's fine, but don't think those of us that still enjoy it can't do so to a high degree of satisfaction !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But vinyl, which is analog, is not living out the digital era.
Well in a way it is since the recordings themselves are made digitally for the most part now before being put on the analog format.....

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Well in a way it is since the recordings themselves are made digitally for the most part now before being put on the analog format.....
lovin, there are those us that are still serious about analog that know better, have you ever heard of Chad Kassem ??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis