Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice results. Can't wait to go through it all in my room.

I wonder if the minidsp could help with 50hz and the 80-95hz range? I bet you wanna try it. Don't you?
I do, won't be long either. Pogre actually has the gear in the box, he just have to take it out and use it.:D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I do, won't be long either. Pogre actually has the gear in the box, he just have to take it out and use it.:D
Exactly. I'm going to grab one too. Guess I'll need a mic as well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Again, I am not saying the problem is not a phase thing, it probably is, but I am saying with DEQ on, especially if plotted at low spl level, you will see a steeper slope (but not a trough) because the DEQ boost varies inversely with frequency and volume. They did it that way to match human hearing characteristics, that we are less sensitive to the lower frequencies at low spl. That's what make DEQ so much better than the simple "loudness" button in the old days.

Put it this way, a slope down towards the higher bass frequencies would be at least partially attributable to DEQ, Pogre can prove it simply by overlaying the DEQ on Vs off as I did in August 2014. If there is a trough, then it could well be a phase issue. The two things are not mutually exclusive, though the DEQ effect is normal and good, the phase effect, if resulted in a trough, is not good and can be fixed.
See peng, I'm only dealing with one functioning brain cell so bear with me. Lol!
While I am familiar with the reasons for deq, and even mostly what it does, there's something I didn't know(and still need clarification). Let's say deq is working from 200hz all the way to 3hz where the lfe channel stops. In that range, does it treat different frequencies differently? Or is it like a shelf filter hinged at say 200hz(since I don't know where it effectively stops, maybe even around the XO range?) that decreases its contribution as volume increases, and vice versa?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
See peng, I'm only dealing with one functioning brain cell so bear with me. Lol!
While I am familiar with the reasons for deq, and even mostly what it does, there's something I didn't know(and still need clarification). Let's say deq is working from 200hz all the way to 3hz where the lfe channel stops. In that range, does it treat different frequencies differently? Or is it like a shelf filter hinged at say 200hz(since I don't know where it effectively stops, maybe even around the XO range?) that decreases its contribution as volume increases, and vice versa?
Yes it treat different frequencies differently and inversely (for the low frequencies), that means the dB boost decreases as frequency increases. The dB boost also varies with output level, the lower you set the volume, the higher the boost.

I don't know where the DEQ effects will fall to zero, but based on my REW plots, it appeared to be around the 600 Hz mark. It boosts the very high frequencies too, appeared to start at around 9KHz. From that point on, the boost increases as frequency increases.

If we want to know for sure, we will have to ask Dr. Chris Kyriakakis, via Facebook or Twitter. IIRC he did respond to Pogre's question about the editor app once.

upload_2017-8-23_22-27-40.png

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
It does goose the top octave as well...here's what it does at different levels

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It does goose the top octave as well...here's what it does at different levels

I don't know where you get that from. If I understood right, at reference level, the boost for LF and HF should decrease to 0, according to Audyssey. I am still trying to find their old web page but no luck so far.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes it treat different frequencies differently and inversely (for the low frequencies), that means the dB boost decreases as frequency increases. The dB boost also varies with output level, the lower you set the volume, the higher the boost.

I don't know where the DEQ effects will fall to zero, but based on my REW plots, it appeared to be around the 600 Hz mark. It boosts the very high frequencies too, appeared to start at around 9KHz. From that point on, the boost increases as frequency increases.

If we want to know for sure, we will have to ask Dr. Chris Kyriakakis, via Facebook or Twitter. IIRC he did respond to Pogre's question about the editor app once.

View attachment 21981
I do get how it works I relation to MV, but what I didn't know was the slope as ski2xblack's sweet graph showed.
Based on your graphs here, it looks like it's hinged at 600hz(as you said).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know where you get that from. If I understood right, at reference level, the boost for LF and HF should decrease to 0, according to Audyssey. I am still trying to find their old web page but no luck so far.
I did see Chris say in a response deq does work above -0 MV.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did see Chris say in a response deq does work above -0 MV.
Okay then I remember wrong. By the way it also boosts surround effects. When I first went separate, I thought sound quality improved, only to realize later deq was turned on. If Audyssey has done one thing right, it is DEQ.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Okay then I remember wrong. By the way it also boosts surround effects. When I first went separate, I thought sound quality improved, only to realize later deq was turned on. If Audyssey has done one thing right, it is DEQ.
For me, I think it makes the surround channels too hot. But I do like the bottom end support. He didn't say what it did specifically though. Too bad.
Btw, anybody else getting all these Chinese posts?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've seen that before too. I wish I knew what he meant when he said that.
It's a few responses down the list. Number 8 I think.
I read the whole thing and it seems clear DEQ has no effects at volume setting 0 because that should be reference level if Audyssey was run properly.

The offsets (not MV) allow you to lessen the effects so it you increase the offset to 5 or 10, you will get less boost regardless of the volume setting so at volume 0 DEQ will still have no effects by design.

He recommends leaving offset at 0 for movies that is mixed to THX standard. Obviously one may feel THX mix is too hot and too loud so one may prefer yto have an offset.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis