highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Pogre
When you were checking out my Salks (a completely ethical thing to do) I don't believe you spent anytime at all marveling at my cables. My cables are stunning. They are blue. They are soft on the outside. They conduct all the music from my high tech data center to the incredibly beautiful (and stylish) Songtowers. I probably spent close to $30 on them and you didn't even give them a sniff. (I actually don't know what I paid for them). I may have been offended at the oversite.:D

I on the other hand spent at least 10 or 15 seconds thinking about your cabling choices when we were taking the SVS Ultra tour at your home. I know I did because its good manners. I may have forgotten to make an actual comment about them. But, I know I thought about them for at least 10 to 15 seconds because I know how much they added to the wonderful sound in your house.

Let this be a lesson to everyone on the AH. We should all give another man's cables the praise they deserve for their contribution and the ceaseless battle they wage against distortion, brightness and thin bass.
I had mine blessed by a Druid high priest and now, they sound kind of woody.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On the receiving end, it's insulting, it turns to malice when it is used repeatedly and alongside other insulting "descriptions." .

I, one time, in response, honestly stated a fact, how immature, childish this practice is. My post was removed and I was warned.

I don't get it. Don't we all just enjoy audio? Music, principally for me.
Sorry you want to include yourself in the audiophool camp but your continued harping on the subject just makes me want to use it more ;)

What on earth does enjoying audio have to do with ripoff cable vendors catering to audiophoolery like Audioquest? They get in the way of audiophiles being able to afford actual music content to enjoy. Stand up for the artist, not the bullshit cable salesmen. Where is your stand-up salesman ethos here? You would have sold Audioquest if you had the chance or would have refused to do so on ethical basis? Or do we go back to it being "legal" meaning it has some sort of ethical validity?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If a dealer gets to make $2K in profit on a $6999.99 pair of cables, I have a problem with that if they're not pure Gold, Platinum and diamonds.
Let alone the cable guy's profit margin, holy crap! $5k for a few bucks worth of material?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I had mine blessed by a Druid high priest and now, they sound kind of woody.
highfigh
Anytime one gets to use the word woody in a sentence, especially at my advanced age, its a good day.
I do not know the man protocol on commenting on another man's woodiness.
I shall have to look it up in the man book.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Let alone the cable guy's profit margin, holy crap! $5k for a few bucks worth of material?
I'm telling you most people would flip if they knew how high markup is on some things. Speakers are shockingly high on certain brands as well.

highfigh

highfigh

highfigh
Anytime one gets to use the word woody in a sentence, especially at my advanced age, its a good day.
I do not know the man protocol on commenting on another man's woodiness.
I shall have to look it up in the man book.
What are you, 40, 45?

IT'S THE SOUND THAT'S 'WOODY'!

(in case your eyesight has also gone to hell)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Last I checked Coca Cola wasn't trying to get $1000 a can by lying to consumers...

Though I'm sure a few audiophools would buy it.
But they were trying to sell a vintage Coca Cola bottle containing the original recipe. :D

highfigh

highfigh

I'm telling you most people would flip if they knew how high markup is on some things. Speakers are shockingly high on certain brands as well.
Some brands, others are far less and it takes longer to sell speakers than just about anything else. Then, if the customer doesn't like them or the SWMBO doesn't like them, they come back and can't be sold as new.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Some brands, others are far less and it takes longer to sell speakers than just about anything else. Then, if the customer doesn't like them or the SWMBO doesn't like them, they come back and can't be sold as new.
You are very correct. I had a high end shop tell me it was easier to sell a $30k set of speakers than a $3k set of speakers. People are weird with their money on certain things.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Honest, I don't believe you understand pricing in the least. It just "seems" like a lot of profit per unit to you and fits the narrative of the board so you go unchallenged.

If you think you do, please reply to some of the specifics I have asked of you in this thread. You may learn something. ;)

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
You are very correct. I had a high end shop tell me it was easier to sell a $30k set of speakers than a $3k set of speakers. People are weird with their money on certain things.

or, maybe, someone shopping luxury goods is less restrained by price?

Also, luxury goods is much more relationship driven.

Salespeople keep contact info and send personal greeting cards for birthdays, holidays...

If an event is coming up, they will call each in their customer base with a personal invitation. Ask how the wife is, were they out on their boat over the weekend....

The hard part in luxury goods is finding the well-heeled customer and nurturing a relationship not in getting him to spend.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Sorry you want to include yourself in the audiophool camp but your continued harping on the subject just makes me want to use it more ;)
see, if I said to you, "sorry you want to include yourself in the children's camp" I would get banned.

But you insult me yet again and it's fine.

Honest, are we both not HiFi enthusiasts?

So why the need to ridicule fellow hobbyists?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
see, if I said to you, "sorry you want to include yourself in the children's camp" I would get banned.

But you insult me yet again and it's fine.

Honest, are we both not HiFi enthusiasts?

So why the need to ridicule fellow hobbyists?
Your crusade against "audiophool" and swearing can't be healthy. Have you considered, you know, growing some thicker skin? Because you're on the Internet and stuff? Audiophool is pretty tame as far as name calling goes. Believe me, the zealots who evangelize the glory of luxury cables need to be called names.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your crusade against "audiophool" and swearing can't be healthy. Have you considered, you know, growing some thicker skin? Because you're on the Internet and stuff? Audiophool is pretty tame as far as name calling goes. Believe me, the zealots who evangelize the glory of luxury cables need to be called names.
Careful rojo... you're perilously close to micro-aggressing. You're gonna chase him off to a "safe space". Thought crimes are next.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
What are you, 40, 45?

IT'S THE SOUND THAT'S 'WOODY'!

(in case your eyesight has also gone to hell)
Oh, I understood what you said. I may be old (63), but I can still read.
Just goofin'. Having a bit of fun. Amidst all the terrible seriousness of this thread a little levity seemed in order.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
or, maybe, someone shopping luxury goods is less restrained by price?
Nope. Not that at all. They'll spend $10k on a TV, video components, installation, a bit of automation to make it work easier, but won't even consider spending a third on a half way decent audio system.

I've seen it first hand. I had a customer way back when buy 3 TVs with the cheapest being $2500. When I asked about an audio system he said he didn't want to spend more than $300. That happened a lot more often than I ever thought it would have.

I found that unless they had a dedicated room (even the richest folks I dealt with didn't) their wife usually won out because "speakers are big and ugly" or too expensive.

I'll never understand that way of thinking.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope. Not that at all. They'll spend $10k on a TV, video components, installation, a bit of automation to make it work easier, but won't even consider spending a third on a half way decent audio system.

I've seen it first hand. I had a customer way back when buy 3 TVs with the cheapest being $2500. When I asked about an audio system he said he didn't want to spend more than $300. That happened a lot more often than I ever thought it would have.

I found that unless they had a dedicated room (even the richest folks I dealt with didn't) their wife usually won out because "speakers are big and ugly" or too expensive.

I went the opposite route. I got my audio squared away first. I'm gonna wait until the market gets populated with more OLEDs before I get a new one.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

panteragstk
I have a wife that I would wager is in the normal range when it comes to her reaction to audio. No one really knows what normal is, but, I think she would fit that general description.

Knowing what her reaction would be to expanding my audio system, I decided to convert a room in our home to a dedicated listening room. I didn't ask. I gave her a room to do with what she wanted and I took one for me. (all the kids are gone). Having a dedicated space let me buy the Salk Songtowers and put as much audio stuff where I wanted it as I could afford.

We had a discussion about speakers during the process and she was firmly of the mindset that said "this is 2017. speakers don't need to be big. you can get all the sound you need with little tiny ones and you only need a few". When I got the Salks set up, we had some listening sessions together and she did admit they were pretty nice. But, she still thinks I'm nuts for even having an interest.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis