William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
just pointing out the hypocrisy here

---------------------------

I did not call Nike shady

there is nothing shady about what Nike does or what Audioquest does.

If they break the law they are subject to prosecution.

It seems both fail in double blind tests is all.

You have every right and it is prudent, to point out how some cables are likely not providing any audible improvement.

Incessantly, with such malice?

Making one way name calling and insulting posts acceptable in the name of social activism?

Maybe that is extreme behavior that ought to change?

See my point?

BTW, you never said, what branded goods do you wear? Do people on apparel forums call you the equivalent of audiopool, maybe, fashionidiot, with impunity because they wear unbranded?

Why, only in my most beloved endeavor, audio/music, is this so common?
Can't look for the links now but audioquest has been known to fudge demonstrations. I'd call that shady, at the very least.
Don't know about fashion forums but if I were to join one I'd be sure to point out that under armor shoes are garbage. Overpriced and will fall apart.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
just pointing out the hypocrisy here

---------------------------

I did not call Nike shady

there is nothing shady about what Nike does or what Audioquest does.

If they break the law they are subject to prosecution.

It seems both fail in double blind tests is all.

You have every right and it is prudent, to point out how some cables are likely not providing any audible improvement.

Incessantly, with such malice?

Making one way name calling and insulting posts acceptable in the name of social activism?

Maybe that is extreme behavior that ought to change?

See my point?

BTW, you never said, what branded goods do you wear? Do people on apparel forums call you the equivalent of audiopool, maybe, fashionidiot, with impunity because they wear unbranded?

LOL. What does breaking the law have to do with it? Nike is a bit shady in their seeking out cheap labor abroad, something the shoe industry is famous for. Audioquest on the other hand not only does that but sells imaginary science at exorbitant (and criminal IMO) prices and have been known to rig demonstrations....there's just no law to make them stop. That doesn't justify it. If you are a proud audiophool then so be it, just don't expect much support except from other audiophools.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Don't know about fashion forums but if I were to join one I'd be sure to point out that under armor shoes are garbage. Overpriced and will fall apart.

So would I, as I point out that expensive cables don't improve sound. But would you do it incessantly with malice?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
If you are a proud audiophool then so be it, just don't expect much support except from other audiophools.
I still find it hard to believe that an audio forum allows this constant name calling.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So would I, as I point out that expensive cables don't improve sound. But would you do it incessantly with malice?
Well to be fair, I have in the past. Bose is a company that gets under my skin too and I've gone on tirades. Today? Not so much.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Can't look for the links now but audioquest has been known to fudge demonstrations. I'd call that shady, at the very least.
I think you're thinking of Nordost at AXPONA. Or did Audioquest do it too?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
there is nothing shady about what Nike does or what Audioquest does...there is nothing shady about what Nike does or what Audioquest does. If they break the law they are subject to prosecution.
I'll have to disagree with you there. Shady doesn't necessarily equal illegal. There are a great many things that are totally legal that are entirely unethical.

Incessantly, with such malice? Making one way name calling and insulting posts acceptable in the name of social activism? Maybe that is extreme behavior that ought to change? See my point?
Depends on who the malice is against. As far as I'm concerned, companies like Audioquest certainly deserve every bit of scorn they receive. As for people who buy their wares, I might consider the purchasing decision mis-informed or *gasp*, foolish, but I have no particular malice towards them.

Why on earth do you think I care what they call me? I wear what I wear for utility, not because I'm seeking an award from the Fashion Police.

Because you're not the only one passionate about the subject.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Iirc audioquest was also guilty. I think gene posted an article about it.
Monster fudges tests too. I got a guide from them on how to set up an "Monster HDMI vs other" and found that they used HDMI for their side and COMPOSITE for the other. I told my boss I wasn't putting up that display as it was a blatant lie.

He had to do it since they were a vendor. I pretty much refused to sell their products after that.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Monster fudges tests too. I got a guide from them on how to set up an "Monster HDMI vs other" and found that they used HDMI for their side and COMPOSITE for the other. I told my boss I wasn't putting up that display as it was a blatant lie.

He had to do it since they were a vendor. I pretty much refused to sell their products after that.
Wow! That is disgusting. THAT is why people get so enflamed.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Why on earth do you think I care what they call me? I wear what I wear for utility, not because I'm seeking an award from the Fashion Police.

Because i am just that kind of guy, Steve.

You know I'd have you back. :p

I think unethical is very different than promoting your product. If you think Nike and Audioquest are unethical (I admit, a case can be made) then essentially all of retail is unethical.

Much of what big pharma does is unethical and frankly immoral. My reaction to Pfizer and cast is that of the over zealous here toward high end gear.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

Yeah, I saw a similar apples to oranges comparison with Monster's speaker wire when I worked at Circuit City. Roger Russell has a photo of the same demo, where they compared a 50' roll of 16AWG Monster Cable to a 50' roll of 24AWG "other". Well, of course 50' of 24AWG is going to struggle. With that much resistance it's a wonder it didn't glow. Just for kicks, I looked around the store to see whether we sold the 24AWG wire. We didn't. So really, it wasn't even apples and oranges. It was apples and straw man fiction.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
There's no malice, that's your imagination. It is a descriptive term.
On the receiving end, it's insulting, it turns to malice when it is used repeatedly and alongside other insulting "descriptions." .

I, one time, in response, honestly stated a fact, how immature, childish this practice is. My post was removed and I was warned.

I don't get it. Don't we all just enjoy audio? Music, principally for me.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

I love when a sales person stand tall to deception. Well done.

Let me tell you, I made a career out of this. Genuinely putting the customer first.

It comes back in spades. Not so much in retail sales because that is not relationship driven but it's still admirable and to be respected.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I love when a sales person stand tall to deception. Well done.

Let me tell you, I made a career out of this. Genuinely putting the customer first.

It comes back in spades. Not so much in retail sales because that is not relationship driven but it's still admirable and to be respected.
I got a lot of repeat customers and referrals. I was totally honest. People never returned what I sold.

If I find a salesman like that, I'm their customer until they give me a reason not to be.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I saw a similar apples to oranges comparison with Monster's speaker wire when I worked at Circuit City. Roger Russell has a photo of the same demo, where they compared a 50' roll of 16AWG Monster Cable to a 50' roll of 24AWG "other". Well, of course 50' of 24AWG is going to struggle. With that much resistance it's a wonder it didn't glow. Just for kicks, I looked around the store to see whether we sold the 24AWG wire. We didn't. So really, it wasn't even apples and oranges. It was apples and straw man fiction.
Yep. Same thing I've seen as well.

I think that's why some of us get so bent out of shape when we read these claims made by the high end cable manufacturers. It just brings back memories of the BS we've been told and have proven wrong.

None of us would be like this if the claims were measurable.

I was once told by a very good mom and pop that Audioquest HDMI was better because it's bit loss was less than the cheaper brands and could be proven by a computer that measured such.

I asked if this resulted in a better picture. He said it did not. I then asked what the point was then.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
"This is fraud". Tell us how you really feel! That was a good read. Nice quote from one of Audioquests reps too.

“the truth is bad for enterprise”

Doesn't surprise me a bit. They're making a ton of money fleecing the masses.
Pogre
When you were checking out my Salks (a completely ethical thing to do) I don't believe you spent anytime at all marveling at my cables. My cables are stunning. They are blue. They are soft on the outside. They conduct all the music from my high tech data center to the incredibly beautiful (and stylish) Songtowers. I probably spent close to $30 on them and you didn't even give them a sniff. (I actually don't know what I paid for them). I may have been offended at the oversite.:D

I on the other hand spent at least 10 or 15 seconds thinking about your cabling choices when we were taking the SVS Ultra tour at your home. I know I did because its good manners. I may have forgotten to make an actual comment about them. But, I know I thought about them for at least 10 to 15 seconds because I know how much they added to the wonderful sound in your house.

Let this be a lesson to everyone on the AH. We should all give another man's cables the praise they deserve for their contribution and the ceaseless battle they wage against distortion, brightness and thin bass.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Right, I'm just using the data I had available to make a guess as to actual cost. I of course don't know the exact number.

People should really be aware of how high markup is in cables. Sure, Audioquest may have lower margins than some (maybe) but that means there is still at least 60% markup at a minimum.
If a dealer gets to make $2K in profit on a $6999.99 pair of cables, I have a problem with that if they're not pure Gold, Platinum and diamonds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis