SVS Prime Center Channel or Ultra?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
As much as I love Def Tech speakers if I were the real James I'd have much more expensive home theater speakers. Ha ha

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As much as I love Def Tech speakers if I were the real James I'd have much more expensive home theater speakers. Ha ha

Lol! I would've thought so but hey, ya never know man. If you were I'd beg you to fire Lars.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Lol! I would've thought so but hey, ya never know man. If you were I'd beg you to fire Lars.
Yeah no can do. That's my little buddy behind the drum kit. Ha ha.
On an audio note my RSL CG3 speakers are being delivered (another indication I'm not the real Hetfield, 135 dollar speakers) and I can't v wait to check these inexpensive babies out. I have read only great stuff about them.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah no can do. That's my little buddy behind the drum kit. Ha ha.
On an audio note my RSL CG3 speakers are being delivered (another indication I'm not the real Hetfield, 135 dollar speakers) and I can't v wait to check these inexpensive babies out. I have read only great stuff about them.

I'm curious about them too. I've been looking to upgrade my bedroom 5.1 speakers, and rsl seems like a good choice. I like RBH too, and of course diy looks interesting. It's also garage sale season, lol. Ya nevva kno...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm curious about them too. I've been looking to upgrade my bedroom 5.1 speakers, and rsl seems like a good choice. I like RBH too, and of course diy looks interesting. It's also garage sale season, lol. Ya nevva kno...
I was between RSL and RBH but went with RSL because of Joe. He is so awesome to email with. He gives the most detailed responses. He really made the difference and the RBH was actually cheaper.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's hard to beat great customer service. Seems like a waning art form these days. Most CS guys I talk to now are "Steve" from the Middle East.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It's hard to beat great customer service. Seems like a waning art form these days. Most CS guys I talk to now are "Steve" from the Middle East.
Even Def Tech is not nearly as good as they used to be with CS. Chet was awesome but I guess he is gone since they were bought out he is gone. I have a pretty good contact I just got but still not as good as it used to be with Def Tech. It's a guy from the parent company, not Def Tech itself.
RSL on the other hand, incredible.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh SVS same thing, incredible.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Heh. We have the real James Hetfield here?!? :p

Okay guys, this formula keeps popping up and apparently it's a THX thing?

(2)TV Mounting Height (TVMH) =ELH+(VD*0.22)—To the midpoint of the TV

For example when I sit on my couch my ELH from the floor is 39 inches and the VD is 100 inches (see previous example) so my TVMH is 39+(100*0.22)=61 inches from the floor to the midpoint of the TV. So here is a table:

TV Size (in) Viewing Distance (in) TV Mounting Height (in) at ELH=39in

32 58 (4.8ft) ELH+13 = 52 in

37 67 (5.6ft) ELH+15 = 54 in

42 76 (6.4ft) ELH+17 = 56 in

46 84 (7.0ft) ELH+18 = 57 in

55 100 (8.3ft) ELH+22 = 61 in

65 118 (10.0ft) ELH+26 = 65 in

70 127 (10.6ft) ELH+28 = 67 in

Formula 1 is based to about 30 degrees of viewing angle that are within the limits of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, THX and manufacturers’ recommendations for 16:9 HDTV’s.

Formula 2 is based on the average reclining angle of about 12.5 degrees from vertical ( sitting up straight) for casual sitting. Manufacturers range for casual sitting is 10-15 degrees.

Clicky

Opinions? When I run the formula through Google there are a ton of hits. My mount arrives today and I'm not sure how high to mount it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about the calculations, and mount it a) where it's comfortable, and b) where you have good handoff from the screen to the mains. IMO that would mean the tweeters not being below the lower 1/3 mark of the screen. Sorry I can't offer anything scientific, but that's all's I got.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about the calculations, and mount it a) where it's comfortable, and b) where you have good handoff from the screen to the mains. IMO that would mean the tweeters not being below the lower 1/3 mark of the screen. Sorry I can't offer anything scientific, but that's all's I got.
That's my problem. I will need to raise it a little higher than that for my speaker to fit. That puts the middle of the screen about 9 or 10 inches higher than the tweeters. So the bottom 5 inches of the screen will be level with the tweeters.

I really hate this. All these conflicting opinions and formulas and sh!t. It's impossible to get a straight answer. The only thing that's consistent is that formula I posted earlier. It comes up over and over, but no one here has heard of it? sigh

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay! got the mount up and I think it looks pretty good! I left a gap between the top of the speaker and the bottom of the tv because the new entertainment stand we ordered is a few inches taller. I also haven't addressed cable management yet, but I'll probably get going on that tomorrow.

I do believe I'll need to tilt it down very slightly. I'm not having to crane my neck back to look at it, and it's more than acceptable. Just gotta get used to seeing it up higher. wouldn't want to sit much closer to it though.

I'm glad it came early enough. I have a wedding to go to in a little bit. So whadaya guys think? I've never installed one before. I think it turned out pretty good.

20170505_144113-1305x734.jpg
20170505_145547-1305x734.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just tilted it. It's perfect! I'm really liking the look too. I just need to reorganize the entertainment stand and get everything somewhat symmetrical and deal with the 2 cables coming down from the tv. It'll be easy to hide them behind the speaker. The new stand is a few inches taller too. I don't think I'll need much more than a few velcro strips to wrap the rest up.

I want to watch a movie now, but I have a wedding to get ready for... poop. :(

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I just tilted it. It's perfect! I'm really liking the look too. I just need to reorganize the entertainment stand and get everything somewhat symmetrical and deal with the 2 cables coming down from the tv. It'll be easy to hide them behind the speaker. The new stand is a few inches taller too. I don't think I'll need much more than a few velcro strips to wrap the rest up.

I want to watch a movie now, but I have a wedding to get ready for... poop. :(
I know you feel but in just a few short hours after a fun party you'll be listening to the system. Give us a review.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I love it. I was really worried the tv was going to be mounted too high, but it's not. I love, love, love the mount. It swivels, it tilts... I'm so glad I got the articulating one (thanks @rojo for the suggestion). Due to the way the studs were spaced I had to mount it an inch off center. :mad: However, since it swivels I can nudge it over that one inch and it's centered. :D

Haven't had a chance to watch any movies yet, but we did watch a little tv last night. I did not think having a perfect match for a center would make that much of a difference, but I found myself really enjoying it. The Ultra BS sounds so much better, and it's perfectly timbre matched.

This is one of the more fun projects I've done and I think aesthetically it even looks better. Ultimately I think we're going to have more room in the living room too. I'll update with some more pics when I get reorganized and hide the wires.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this one!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Awesome! I know full well having the same exact speakers up front from mains to center is incredible. Like you I didn't know how much difference it would make but having 3 SM65s up front is awesome. It's a uniform sound, identical speakers up front is the way to go.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice job poges!
Btw, is it "poger " as in poker playing ogre, or "pogray" as in.....I have no idea lol! When I see it I hear pogray in my head. Anyway, nice job. You have even more reference points to share with others. The value of timbre matching for one. And wall mounting!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice job poges!
Btw, is it "poger " as in poker playing ogre, or "pogray" as in.....I have no idea lol! When I see it I hear pogray in my head. Anyway, nice job. You have even more reference points to share with others. The value of timbre matching for one. And wall mounting!
It's "poger" as in poker playing ogre. Although my eBay account name is "Pohgrey" as kind of a joke because people always hear that in their head.

And thank you! I can't believe how smoothly it went. Probably because I followed the old addage, "measure 15 times and drill once" (I think it's actually measure twice, but I go overboard). I got it on the first try. Correct height, level and only had to drill 4 holes for the mount. I think it was rojo again, who suggested using a template. That helped too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It looks really nice too. I have one articulated mount for an LCD and my plasma on a fixed one. Love the clean look. Except those damn wires.... lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis