SVS Prime Center Channel or Ultra?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So, would something like this this do the trick or is it going to be a flimsy pos? I don't care about the look because I'd want to mount it flat to the wall. It just needs to support my 58" tv.

*Edit: One thing that I think might bug me is, I already sit 13' away from the screen. Wall mounting it will push it back by almost 2' more.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Get the PE Shadow mount ones. They are good quality. I've been using them for years. You can get a articulated mount so you can extend to view and push back after.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-shadow-mount-am5516-articulating-tv-wall-mount-150-lb-capacity--182-327
Hey! That one is in the ballpark of reason for the price, and I'll be able to move my tv forward 16" when fully extended? Looks like a winner to me. Wish I had funds handy right now for the bookshelf. They have one reduced that doesn't look like it's in bad shape cosmetically for $349 in their outlet right now.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Also, if you haven't thought that far ahead, check your local Home Depot for wall-plates to accommodate AC and HDMI connections. That is a huge plus for WAf.
It is easiest to install these when you are installing the TV mount so neither gets in the way of the other.

I installed female HDMI plates, but think I would just go with a setup like this if I did it again. HDMI cables do not always snap fit and I worry that the in-wall HDMI cable might come loose from the wall plate. With the bulk cable port as below, all of the connections are out in the open.

This one is recessed for flush mounting the TV which you probably don't need.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, if you haven't thought that far ahead, check your local Home Depot for wall-plates to accommodate AC and HDMI connections. That is a huge plus for WAf.
It is easiest to install these when you are installing the TV mount so neither gets in the way of the other.

I installed female HDMI plates, but think I would just go with a setup like this if I did it again. HDMI cables do not always snap fit and I worry that the in-wall HDMI cable might come loose from the wall plate. With the bulk cable port as below, all of the connections are out in the open.

This one is recessed for flush mounting the TV which you probably don't need.
You know, as usual I didn't think that far ahead. That's a pretty nice way to deal with it. I'm already thinking about just zip tying the cables together and make sure the wires dangle right down the middle, like in the first pic, then put the third Ultra BS right in front of that. I'm thinking that I can hide most, if not all the wires behind the speaker that way.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just ran a paintable wire track, but at my dad's house I did in the wall with receptacles. MUCH cleaner.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also like the BS Ultra idea for a center, can't get much more OCD than that! :)

Yeah, cable management, gotta do something about that some day...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I also like the BS Ultra idea for a center, can't get much more OCD than that! :)

Yeah, cable management, gotta do something about that some day...
You and I are about the same when it comes to cable management. Tucking and hiding is good enough for me.

BAM!

Ultra Order Confirmation-1024x640.png

Outlet Special: Crack in the finish on the bottom edge, scratch on the front around the grill cup. See additional pics. Factory inspected and tested. 5-Year Unconditional Warranty and complete Bill of Right coverage.

Screenshot_2017-04-28-15-10-59-1024x640.png

Screenshot_2017-04-28-15-10-47-1024x640.png

$349 from their outlet! You can see in the pics that there's a small scratch on the front and a pretty small crack in the finish. It's on the bottom edge though so it'll be out of sight and I really can't complain with a full warranty and $150 off. If it bugs me enough I'll put the grilles on.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I busted out some of my best one liners and shmoozed my wife up pretty good. She knows I've been wanting a matching center channel and would eventually get one. Half price ($699 for matching center channel) was a pretty compelling pitch.

I really think that speaker looks pretty good for the price I paid. They're both tiny blemishes and I'm sure I'll figure out a way to hide that scratch on the front.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just had an idea. I still have enough lumber left over to build some short little stands that will match the ones I made for my mains. It'll match up perfect with the other stands. I'm getting stoked about it now. I was worried about the height being right and looking odd. I think a little matching custom stand will look really nice.

I'll probably order the mount next week. I wanted to grab that speaker before someone else did. This also postpones my MiniDSP and mic, but I think this is worth it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I busted out some of my best one liners and shmoozed my wife up pretty good. She knows I've been wanting a matching center channel and would eventually get one. Half price ($699 for matching center channel) was a pretty compelling pitch.

I really think that speaker looks pretty good for the price I paid. They're both tiny blemishes and I'm sure I'll figure out a way to hide that scratch on the front.
I think you did great. I would try to polish any scratches, but I have a lot of experience with that. You might ask em what they use. It might be too deep too. Still, great score, and the front of your system will be awesome.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Awesome job on getting the speaker you wanted. I think most wives understand and except this obsession we have for this hobby. They also even if they don't want to admit it, they hear the results. Do you think our wives could go back to listening to TV speakers? I don't.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you did great. I would try to polish any scratches, but I have a lot of experience with that. You might ask em what they use. It might be too deep too. Still, great score, and the front of your system will be awesome.
When it actually gets here I'll get a good look at that scratch on the front. I think I might be able to polish it out. I'll be hitting you up for tips on that.

The crack on the bottom I can't do much about, but it's very small and on the bottom of the speaker.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I buy everything open box or scratch and dent. My last SM 65 was scratch and dent and I can't find anything about it that would make it scratch and dent, I mean nothing so I don't get it. Best value, who cares what it looks like, it's the sound that matters, the only thing that matters

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I buy everything open box or scratch and dent. My last SM 65 was scratch and dent and I can't find anything about it that would make it scratch and dent, I mean nothing so I don't get it. Best value, who cares what it looks like, it's the sound that matters, the only thing that matters

I bought the other 2 as b stock too. Each one has a teeny tiny chip in one corner.You can't find a mark on either without a bright light and very close scrutiny. Paid $399 apiece for them.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I bought the other 2 as b stock too. Each one has a teeny tiny chip in one corner.You can't find a mark on either without a bright light and very close scrutiny.
Awesome, that's the way I do it. I actually this morning ordered 2 CG3 speakers for a bedroom set up in starting to put together. Can't wait to get them and see what they are all about.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got my little speaker stand built. Just need to get it stained now. It's going to be a perfect match with the mains, with the exception that, that speaker won't be at the same height at 5 1/2" shorter than my mains from the floor up. I'm gonna put it on the tv stand right under the tv which will put the tweeter at ear level. The stands for my mains are a little too tall, but I shimmed the speakers and angled them down a little. I just hope it doesn't look odd because of the height difference, but I don't think it will since they'll otherwise match pretty much perfectly.

I will have to raise the tv 13" so everything fits. I don't think that's going to be a big deal. Right now I tilt my head just slightly forward. Moving the tv up I'll be leaning back in my chair. Might even be an improvement. I sit pretty far from the screen and my chair is nice and comfy to sink into.

20170429_113358-1305x734.jpg

20170429_113412-1305x734.jpg

20170429_113533-1305x734.jpg

I used 4x4 for the columns instead of 4x6 since I had it lying around. Plus it's a much shorter stand and doesn't need the weight like the mains and 4x4 is a lot easier to cut on my neighbor's saw. It's going to look just like the other ones viewed straight on. Wish I had boat's woodworking skills and equipment. I know I could make them a lot nicer. I'll probably stain tomorrow.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Got my little speaker stand built. Just need to get it stained now. It's going to be a perfect match with the mains, with the exception that, that speaker won't be at the same height at 5 1/2" shorter than my mains from the floor up. I'm gonna put it on the tv stand right under the tv which will put the tweeter at ear level. The stands for my mains are a little too tall, but I shimmed the speakers and angled them down a little. I just hope it doesn't look odd because of the height difference, but I don't think it will since they'll otherwise match pretty much perfectly.

I will have to raise the tv 13" so everything fits. I don't think that's going to be a big deal. Right now I tilt my head just slightly forward. Moving the tv up I'll be leaning back in my chair. Might even be an improvement. I sit pretty far from the screen and my chair is nice and comfy to sink into.

View attachment 20775

View attachment 20776

View attachment 20777

I used 4x4 for the columns instead of 4x6 since I had it lying around. Plus it's a much shorter stand and doesn't need the weight like the mains and 4x4 is a lot easier to cut on my neighbor's saw. It's going to look just like the other ones viewed straight on. Wish I had boat's woodworking skills and equipment. I know I could make them a lot nicer. I'll probably stain tomorrow.
I have just a small suggestion, and that stand is awesome, I wish I were handy at all but I am not. My suggestion would he up get a Auralex speaker pad to decouple the speaker from the stand. I was not a believer till I got one and now I swear by it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have just a small suggestion, and that stand is awesome, I wish I were handy at all but I am not. My suggestion would he up get a Auralex speaker pad to decouple the speaker from the stand. I was not a believer till I got one and now I swear by it.

Thanks! I was just going to get some, sticky on one side, little rubber thingies to put on the top platform, but I'll google that up.

*Edit: I'd have to get 3. If they're a little pricey, my budget is shot. I still have to buy the wall mount for the tv.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis