SVS Prime Center Channel or Ultra?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These look more reasonably priced and "no ugly logo" :) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GROP5K2/ref=dp_cerb_3
Now we're getting somewhere. Me no likey ugly logos. I'll keep it under consideration. For now I'm pretty good.I'm gonna let this upgrade sink in, then when I start getting itchy again I'll revisit. I do like the ones you linked here. they're not gaudy looking and they don't look like they'd raise them up much higher.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's not bad, but I need 3. I'll search Amazon some more and see if they sell singles.
Yeah I only needed one and had to buy 2 because they only come on pairs. Now I want another single because I want to put them under my main speakers on their stands. I have one left over from the first pair so all I need is a second. That one there for 20 bucks looks like a winner. I might be ordering that myself.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They are expensive I agree and I was skeptical but they worked out for me in the end. I agree though they should probably be 20 bucks or something. There are other brands I saw cheaper. Check them out. Actually I remember a bunch of other brands now that I'm thinking about it. Also check out the pro pads I think they are called, they are 150 for the pair. Those should be 50 but these.

You mean these? Yeah, that's getting into silly money for what they are.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pogre, just get the towers......
. Sorry man, couldn't hep masef.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, you just made me do a spit take! ha ha!

*Edit: That's not saying I don't have the Ultra Towers in my sights...
Nice! I love being responsible for a spit take. I know you've mentioned them casually. I just had to to rib ya.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Fuh-sho!

I'm beginning to rethink what I'm doing here. I absolutely want to go with the BS for my center, but I'm beginning to see how high the tv is going to be. the bottom edge of the screen is gonna be 40-41" off the floor. I might abandon my pedestal idea (which sucks because I made the damn thing), set the speaker on the stand and tilt it up instead.

I hate making compromises like this. Especially when either outcome doesn't quite give me what I want.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's a pic so you can see how much higher the tv's gonna be. I put the box underneath the pedestal because that's how tall the new tv stand is gonna be.

20170504_165500-1305x734.jpg

I dunno man. It might just be too ridiculously high.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a pic so you can see how much higher the tv's gonna be. I put the box underneath the pedestal because that's how tall the new tv stand is gonna be.

View attachment 20824

I dunno man. It might just be too ridiculously high.
Yeah I see what you are talking about now. I wouldn't want it like that either. My center channel which is a bookshelf as you know is pretty low and I just angled it up with Auralex pads and it sounds great. I have no issues at all.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I'm thinking if I just set the speaker flat on the stand and angle it up then I won't have to mount the tv so high. It might work that way. Either way, I'm committed to the bookshelf for my center. I'll figure something out.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If I just set the speaker flat on the stand and angle it up then I won't have to mount the tv so high.
And that's the way I think you should go. I think you'll like it. TV's look bad when up too high.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And that's the way I think you should go. I think you'll like it. TV's look bad when up too high.

I agree. I'm thinking hospital rooms and waiting rooms with the tv up so high. Even if I don't have to crane my neck to see it I think it won't look right.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I agree. I'm thinking hospital rooms and waiting rooms with the tv up so high. Even if I don't have to crane my neck to see it I think it won't look right.
Exactly, it will be annoying and make the picture look bad. Looking up all the time would drive me to drink.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Raising it 10 more inches doesn't seem nearly as bad. The center of the screen will be ~49-50" off the ground. I have trouble picturing it. I think it'll be on the high side, but still in viewing range. I dunno. Is that too high for the center of the screen? Eyeball level from my mvp is 36" and I sit 13' from the screen.

I've never seriously looked into mounting heights or anything. I think I need to do some googling.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, according to this my tv is currently at the optimum viewing height, and it makes sense. However, I can tilt it with the mount I'm getting.

This one just confused me. are they suggesting the middle of the screen should be 66" off the floor? that doesn't seem right, or I'm reading that chart entirely wrong.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think the contractor John link is bunk. Seems convoluted and didn't make sense to me. I'm toopid?
Mine,IIRC is at 40" at center and is perfect for L/R off screen pans since the tweeters are exactly the same height. Ideally I think you'll want your center and L/R tweeters within 12"(height wise). Mine are like 18" but at 14' distance the front end is seamless, so putting that center directly on the tv stand won't give you any problems. Agree with hetfield(be cool if it was James!), that's the way to go. Actually, it would be better to install a fireplace to mount the tv over. It's all the rage these days. Totally sweet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis