Would like suggestions for low-end audiophile towers

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I did look at Ascend Acoustics. I like the Song3s the best so far out of everything I looked at.

FWIW - I found a picture of someone elses' theater that is similar to what I have in mind, at least for the main towers. I'm thinking the closeness of the adjacent walls will have more of an impact on sound quality than anything else.

Home theater wall.jpg

I also found the crude layout sketch for my room.
HT floor plan.JPG

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did look at Ascend Acoustics. I like the Song3s the best so far out of everything I looked at.

FWIW - I found a picture of someone elses' theater that is similar to what I have in mind, at least for the main towers. I'm thinking the closeness of the adjacent walls will have more of an impact on sound quality than anything else.

View attachment 18788

I also found the crude layout sketch for my room.
View attachment 18789
How are those apparent in-wall speakers similar to the towers you're considering? Do you have a link to that system's details?

J

Jack N

Audioholic
No. I don't. I'm just using the picture to give a general idea of how the doors will be constructed. The speakers would be placed immediately behind the speaker cloth in the doors.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Agreed. That's one reason why I want to get the opinion of a speaker designer.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Since your room is massive I'd look at something like these
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-210rt/
The Salks are awesome speakers but I'm not sure your doing them justice in that room. If your goal is HT, you need some high output speakers. Jeff is great to deal with and his speakers work very well as music only also.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You had earlier said your room is roughly 13 ft wide, 40 ft long. Your diagram shows roughly 24 ft wide × 39 ft long. I assume the diagram is correct. Right?

What matters most is not how long the room is overall, but how far the seats are from the 3 front speakers. I think the Salk Song3s can easily handle that size room. The web site recommends 50 watts as a minimum, but these speakers can easily handle much more power for a larger room such as yours. I suggest looking for power in the range of 150 to 200 watts per channel.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
No. I don't. I'm just using the picture to give a general idea of how the doors will be constructed. The speakers would be placed immediately behind the speaker cloth in the doors.
Agreed. That's one reason why I want to get the opinion of a speaker designer.
I urge you to phone or email Jim Salk about this question. He is experienced at this and will have some good ideas.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 18788
]
Behold my awesomeness Google-Fu mad skillz!

That photo is from custom (designer) built HT in Mc Kinney, TX (Dallas suburbs) .
They have used In Wall Klipsch THX Ultra speakers
It was sold last year for what I consider living near NYC is laughable money all considering.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1005-Barre-Meadow-Ln-Mc-Kinney-TX-75071/83739711_zpid/

Rest of build and details are here (and before/in-process and after images there)
http://www.theateradvice.com/before-after-media-rooms.php#demo

Dallas Theater Demo Room

Our Demo Home theater installation in Mckinney Texas is extreme and very custom. However not all of our clients do media room installations like this in their homes. But it is easy to pull aspects from our THX demo theater to use in your own home theater. This room on top of the home theater design aspects includes acoustic treatments on all sides of the room and in the cabinet. Huge 133” Stewart Filmscreen that is 2.40:1 ratio with anamorphic lens. Acoustic fabrics covering speakers, custom seating and much more. Come see it if nothing else than to see that we really are the best and we are the only ones that can prove it.

Stewart filmscreen Firehawk
JVC X35 projector
Panamorph anamorphic lens
Klipsch THX Ultra2 speaker system full 7.2
Parasound Halo Amplifier

Another vendor for hi-end in-wall speakers is http://www.wisdomaudio.com/index.php

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Something else to consider would be simply getting an acoustically transparent screen, and placing the speakers behind that like so.
1.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Salk speakers would be wasted in such a setup. You need speakers which are designed to be used in that kind of situation. I would be looking at pro-audio solutions for that kind of setup, not regular tower speakers. JBL Pro, JTR, Triad, Atlantic Technology, Seaton Sound, etc. I would steer clear of full range tower speakers, their bass will be pathetic in a room like that, unless you get a true monster tower like any of these. You will need a couple good subs, and I would aim at getting three or four.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
everettT – Thanks for the suggestion.

Swerd – I don’t think you’re looking at the plans correctly. Yes it’s 24ft wide but that’s the back of the theater where the concession stand is. The screen wall is on the opposite end of the room.

The ears in the first row of seats will be approx. 12ft away from the front of the speakers. As for power, I already have 2 Outlaw Model 7900 amps. As far as I can tell, they’re simply a rebranded version of the ATI 6707 Morris Kessler Signatures which are 300wpc into 8ohms.

Yes, I fully intend to get in touch with Mr. Salk or Mr. Murphy.

BoredSysAdmin – I agree, house should have gone for a lot more. Love the island in the pool and the TV in the shower! Thanks for the info and the links.

Steve81 – I considered that at first but for some reason it just doesn’t wind my binder. However I’m not ruling it out. I’ll go that route if I have to.

shadyJ – Thanks for the suggestions and yes, I already have 2 SVS PB12+. Plans allow for 2 more in the back if need be.

AcuDefTechGuy & rojo – Ha Ha! I like your sense of humor. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone - feel free to make more. Please keep in mind that I want this room to double as a music listening room as well. I’m not looking for a HT only set-up or sheer loudness. I’m sure this system will have sufficient power to drive the speakers to levels too high for my own good.

J

Jaybeez

Junior Audioholic
I'd also look at Ascend Acoustics' various speakers with Raal ribbon tweeters.... the Sierra 2, Sierra Tower with Raal and Horizon with Raal. Ask David Fabrikant, the owner/designer of Ascend for advice, he's awesome in responding to questions/issues; Dina in customer service is awesome, too. Yes, own quite a few Ascend speakers but no Raal equipped ones fwiw....
I would second this suggestion. Dave is a great guy that would shoot you straight, and talk about your set up in an objective way (e.g. not in a way to steer you toward his speakers). I did audition the RAAL towers when I purchased Sierra 2 (bookies) and they sounded amazing. Never heard the Salks, but from what I read they are nice as well. I do think the suggestion re: panels (to allow free standing) deserves consideration. Also, acoustic treatment (panels) should be considered as well IMO.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I did look at the Ascends. Nice speakers but the towers are rear ported. The Song 3’s are rear ported as well but I’ve been told that Salk can build them with the port facing forward – Don’t know how that will affect the sound so that’ll be one of things I need to talk to Mr. Salk or Mr. Murphy about.

I agree with your concern about the acoustics. I’ve had that concern ever since the beginning of the project as the room layout is far from ideal. “Ready Acoustics” is only a few miles from here so I thought I’d see if I can get one of them to come out for a consultation when the time comes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd simply talk to each of the speaker guys about your plan as to how you're going to place them and what their ideas are, not necessarily for a particular product you saw on their website but rather the placement of such in your cabinet wall thing....perhaps something they could customize or influence your placement plans if they don't think highly of placing a finished speaker inside your cabinet wall thing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis