Parasound Volume Pot part two

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not to take away the special customer service, but Richard is their only service guy, so he takes care of all parasound issues personally ;). They must not have a lot of issues otherwise to only have 1 service guy and that fast a turn around period. I sent my A52 in and he was on vacation so I had to wait a little
On a side note I really want to pick up a P5, but I might way and see what kind of DAC comes in the new Oppo 4k Blu-Ray player first and kill two birds with one stone

E

Enrico Castagnetti

Audiophyte
Richard is the President and founder of Parasound, and yes, he takes care of customers personally which is not common on audio industry.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, my mistake, Tony is the only tech and he is great too!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will certainly get it fixed even if I get a new preamp beforehand.

I've actually been looking at the HA-1 as a preamp. Not exactly an upgrade but it does look nice and Oppo makes nice stuff, I have the 103 player. Any upgrade has to be fully balanced.
Price and feature aside, I am sure the HA-1 is an upgrade. I don't use my dedicated preamps any more because the HA-1 top them all.

Subvet

Subvet

Audiophyte
Price and feature aside, I am sure the HA-1 is an upgrade. I don't use my dedicated preamps any more because the HA-1 top them all.
I've decided to go with Parasound's JC2 BP for my 2 channel system. I may, at some point, go with the HA-1 as a headphone amp (currently using a Schiit Asgard 2).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've decided to go with Parasound's JC2 BP for my 2 channel system. I may, at some point, go with the HA-1 as a headphone amp (currently using a Schiit Asgard 2).
The JC2 BP costs much more and it is just a preamp with no DAC onboard. I think Halo amps are not fully differential but i don't believe that makes any audible difference. For the kind of money the JC2 should have higher quality components and specs than the HA-1, but again I am not an audiophile who would believe in audible/better sound quality past the point of diminishing return. Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, so if you have the JC, why bother with the P5 or HA-1? It seems to me you just need a good DAC if not yet.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not to take away the special customer service, but Richard is their only service guy, so he takes care of all parasound issues personally ;). They must not have a lot of issues otherwise to only have 1 service guy and that fast a turn around period. I sent my A52 in and he was on vacation so I had to wait a little
No, he's not. Tony does most of the service work, from what I have been told.

Subvet

Subvet

Audiophyte
The JC2 BP costs much more and it is just a preamp with no DAC onboard. I think Halo amps are not fully differential but i don't believe that makes any audible difference. For the kind of money the JC2 should have higher quality components and specs than the HA-1, but again I am not an audiophile who would believe in audible/better sound quality past the point of diminishing return. Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, so if you have the JC, why bother with the P5 or HA-1? It seems to me you just need a good DAC if not yet.
I like the fact that is it "just a preamp". It is more expensive than the P5 or HA-1 but still less than many other stereo preamps. The JC2 is fully differential, the P5 is not. As I understand it the HA-1 is.

I had the P5 first and have upgraded to the JC2. I'll use the P5 elsewhere where the DAC and base control will be useful. The HA-1 would still be a great headphone amp so that's why I may still go for one.

Subvet

Subvet

Audiophyte
Where does it say that they are fully differential/balanced? In the manual or website?
From the JC2 manual (available from the website) there is this statement.

"The JC 2 uses a fully differential balanced circuit and its balanced outputs do not require
or use phase inverters."

The HA-1 makes this statement on their website "The analog audio section of the HA-1 is a fully balanced design".

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
One nice touch on the Halo line is the epoxy-encased transformers. All transformers hum to some degree, and that will dampen much of the hum.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the fact that is it "just a preamp". It is more expensive than the P5 or HA-1 but still less than many other stereo preamps. The JC2 is fully differential, the P5 is not. As I understand it the HA-1 is.

I had the P5 first and have upgraded to the JC2. I'll use the P5 elsewhere where the DAC and base control will be useful. The HA-1 would still be a great headphone amp so that's why I may still go for one.
That would be the only Halo product that is truly and fully differential from input to output. The DAC in the P5 isn't one of the flag ship one and if I remember right it can't play 192/24 but that doesn't mean it won't sound just as good. If you don't need the phono stage, you won't regret replacing the P5 with the HA-1, it is really good. I don't even think amps sound all that different but I can convince myself the HA-1 sounds as good as it gets regardless of price.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
One nice touch on the Halo line is the epoxy-encased transformers. All transformers hum to some degree, and that will dampen much of the hum.
You are right, even my A21 hums, but only if my ears are within a few inches from the chassis. It is quite sensitive to dirts in the power line though, more so than my other amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Where does it say that they are fully differential/balanced? In the manual or website?
They said it on their website, only for that product though, not the JC1 mono block. I guess it isn't that expensive to implement differential from input to output. I have a Cambridge auto preamp that is fully differential but the matching power amp (that I didn't buy) is not, so I guess same idea.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They said it on their website, only for that product though, not the JC1 mono block. I guess it isn't that expensive to implement differential from input to output. I have a Cambridge auto preamp that is fully differential but the matching power amp (that I didn't buy) is not, so I guess same idea.
That doesn't make sense to me. If they do fully differential preamp, they should do the same with the amp.

Why.......my AVP-A1HD pre-pro is fully differential and my ATI amps are also fully differential. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That doesn't make sense to me. If they do fully differential preamp, they should do the same with the amp.

Why.......my AVP-A1HD pre-pro is fully differential and my ATI amps are also fully differential. :D
It can make sense because you can match them with Emo's differential amps. I know you wouldn't, but many would.:D Serious though, double up components in a low power preamp doesn't cost nearly as much as the same in a power amp. I think JC knew the benefits of implementing fully differential could not justify the much added expense to do it in power amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It can make sense because you can match them with Emo's differential amps. I know you wouldn't, but many would.:D Serious though, double up components in a low power preamp doesn't cost nearly as much as the same in a power amp. I think JC knew the benefits of implementing fully differential could not justify the much added expense to do it in power amps.
I know, but I don't think Parasound envisions customers buying their fully balanced pre-amp + some other company's fully balanced amp. :)

People buy Parasound, Anthem, ATI, etc. because they want "High-End". So it makes sense to me if Parasound would also make fully balanced amps, at least 1 model just for people who demand fully balanced amps.

Leave to Denon to make a fully balance pre-amp (AVP-A1) + matching fully balanced amp (although way overprice to me). :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know, but I don't think Parasound envisions customers buying their fully balanced pre-amp + some other company's fully balanced amp. :)

People buy Parasound, Anthem, ATI, etc. because they want "High-End". So it makes sense to me if Parasound would also make fully balanced amps, at least 1 model just for people who demand fully balanced amps.

Leave to Denon to make a fully balance pre-amp (AVP-A1) + matching fully balanced amp (although way overprice to me). :)
I was kidding, of course they want you to buy the matching power amp. Still, it costs less to implement it on preamp. For power amp, it's not worth it in terms of cost/benefit ratio.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis