Wave Crest Audio HVL-1

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
http://www.wavecrestaudio.com/

I'm going to start with customer service. Wave Crest Audio (Curtis) answered all of my emails in a timely manner. Usually within 24 hours or less. Curtis was patient and explained things in a way that was easy to understand.
Ordering: Currently, Wave Crest Audio only offers one product, the HVL-1 bookshelf speaker. No options for color, or veneer type. They come in black only.
Hover over 'Products' on the main page and you get a drop down showing the HVL-1, and that takes you to the product page. On the HVl-1 page you'll see another drop down and you can select the number of speakers you'd like, from a single all the way up to seven 7.0. A pair starts at $199.00 + shipping of $25.00, shipping is not shown until check out. A 7.0 is $670.00 + shipping.
I ordered a 3.0 for $295.00 + $35.00 shipping for a total of $330.00, or, $111.00 per speaker. A single HVL-1 is $105.00 + shipping. There is a discount given with the more you buy.
Ordering and checkout was straight forward and simple. Wave Crest accepts various forms of payments including Paypal and all major CC's.
One thing that I think should be mentioned is the time of shipping. No where on the site does it mention the 'process', so I will do it here. Wave Crest does not just pick the speaker(s) off the shelf and ship them. The speakers are opened, examined for defects, then tested and measured. It took ten days from order placed to delivery. Curtis also emailed me and said the warehouse is backed up so shipping would be delayed a day. He also explained the pre shipping process.
Delivery:
The speakers were well packed and looked great. They're heavy (12lbs. each) and well built. They are not sexy. It's a rectangular black box.
I got them hooked up and was very impressed with the sound. I am a fan of PSB speakers and the HVL-1's have the sound I was looking for with my PSB Alpha B1's, my favorite speaker. They have mid range for days, the highs are clear and not overly forward. The bass is sufficient for most music. I have them crossed over at 80hz to my SVS SB12 NSD sub.
They seem impervious to volume. They can play loud with out compressing.
I'll be honest, I often have buyers remorse, but not with these. I am very happy with my new HVL-1's and Wave Crest Audio. Highly recommended.

Barry

Attachments

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice write up. I didn't realize how big they are until that picture of you/someone else holding them. They look very nice. Congrats :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Nice to see this side project is working out so well. Sounds like sales are on the Ascend(no pun intended...lol) and it couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

Thanks for the review....:).

Bill

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
HVL-1 dimensions; H:12" W:7" D:9.5"

Set up; I have them within 4 inches from the back wall and about 6 ft. apart with about a 20 degree toe in. My room dimensions; 20 ft. from front wall to back wall. 17 ft wide. 14 ft. to listening position.
I'm not going to mention 'imaging' or 'sound stage' they seem to be interchangeable and very subjective.
I will say the HVL-1's fill my room with a nice enveloping sound. I can identify instruments and the instruments seem to be in their proper place. If that makes sense. Man, I need to send these to Adam so he can write real review. :oops:
One thing I will say, they are not very forgiving with poor recordings. Most listening of music has been Pandora in 2.1 Xover at 80hz. I've listened to The Goat Rodeo Sessions, The Black Keys - El Camino, and Tears For Fears - Elemental all on CD.
I listened to some Jazz last night on my local public radio station with the speakers set to full range/large. No sub. And I thought the bass was very good. Tight and controlled. No bass 'bloom' or mushy bass.
I have three HVL-1's set up as L/R/C with the center vertical. I find dialogue clear and intelligible for tv and movies. Movie watching has been limited to bits and pieces with Lone Survivor and Ice Age: Meltdown. The HVL-1's handled both well. I thought I was hearing some crackling in Ice Age, but realized it was the sloth tapping his fingers.
I'm really enjoying my HVL-1's.

Last edited:
G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Great write up and yes they are excellent speakers!! I have mine in my second HT room LCR configuration. I have been an Ascend owner for about 10 years now and the HVL-1's really do sound very similar for the most part. The HVL was designed by Ascend Acoustic's owner Dave F. Curtis the owner of Wave Crest is a great guy!!
If your looking for inexpensive accurate bookshelf speakers, these are definitely them!!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Great Job Barry, I really like the hvl1's, for the price its hard to beat, pair a couple of them with a topping amp and a decent source and you have a nice little 2 ch rig..

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Great Job Barry, I really like the hvl1's, for the price its hard to beat, pair a couple of them with a topping amp and a decent source and you have a nice little 2 ch rig..
Irv, what's up man?

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I haven't been on here much this year and I just saw this thread.
I am glad that I am not the only one on here that has these speakers and enjoying them.
Such a nice neutral sounding speaker. Very good value and highly recommend them to people who are on a tight budget.
I have 5 of these in a 5.1 setup and am very pleased with them.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't been on here much this year and I just saw this thread.
I am glad that I am not the only one on here that has these speakers and enjoying them.
Such a nice neutral sounding speaker. Very good value and highly recommend them to people who are on a tight budget.
I have 5 of these in a 5.1 setup and am very pleased with them.
Nice to see you posting again Lulimet!

I'm planning on getting another pair to complete my Wavecrest 5.1 setup.
I wish more people would become aware of this great value. Also, Curtis was great to deal with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis