What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like we may be the only 2 people for now. I contacted eoswireless.com
and Solid Signal, and none seem to be available at this time - hard to say if
any more will show up. IntelliTouch marketing missed the boat on this.
That is truly a shame.

The EOS give my Energy RC-10's a real run for their money. They are truly exceptional speakers for low-mid range female and upper range male vocals, where they provide a level of intimacy that unquestionably surpasses the RC-10's. They lose to the RC-10's on lower range male vocals (at first, I kept thinking I was mixing up the speakers, because it was the same character of improvement that went to the RC-10s). Upper range female vocals were closer, but still better on the EOS.

The EOS would make a stellar bedroom or PC speaker system. Their detail is very impressive, surpassing or matching the RC-10's in much of the important midrange where our hearing is most sensitive.

In a larger room, they give the RC-10's a run for their money, but the ability of the Energy to stay true to its name and "play hard" becomes more of a factor. I ran both speakers at volumes in the 80-85dB range with a 150Hz crossover (with the sub turned off) to avoid the extra bass of the RC-10's from coloring my opinion of the midrange detail. Even so, the Energy's still seemed to hit harder for a kick drum.
In the larger room, the EOS showed up as what it is - a smaller bookshelf speaker (with great midrange detail). The dynamics, range, and power of the RC-10 would lead many to believe it was a floorstander. That difference existed with the 150Hz crossover and (of course) got stronger as the XO got lowered.
One of my routine audition pieces is Yes's "Heart of the Sunrise" and it really was perplexing. The Energy provided a much fuller depth of stage, but every time Jon Anderson made a sound, that depth of stage flip-flopped to the EOS!

My conclusion is:
If you are looking for an intimate detailed speaker in a typical bedroom (or smaller) system the EOS is an amazing speaker. I have to go to my EMP 41B ($450 on sale, if memory serves) to get that level of detail. The way it whipped-up on my RC-10's was a surprise.

In a larger environment, I could still see someone preferring the EOS, if listening to music which emphasized it's sweet-spot midrange. However, the RC-10 would be my preference.

This should not be much of a surprise. The drivers of the Energy speakers are obviously higher quality. What is a surprise is how well designed the EOS is to allow it to "spank" the Energy in a smaller environment. The crossover must be very good, and we should never forget the luck of synergy (not to take anything away from the designers, but anyone who drove a 70's Impala vs about any other 70's land yacht understands that a good design team does not always produce a classic, luck is a factor).

I really hope these show up on the market again!

Last edited:
H

hankki

Junior Audioholic
Computer stuff! Earlier this week I bought a quiet cpu fan and chassis fan and also soundproofing asphalt plates to put in my pc cabinet. Had to strip my entire PC to mount the bracket on the back side of the motherboard. Now it idle at about 67 degrees and torture test with "prime 95" took it to about 100 degrees when it went to 160 degrees in 10 minutes with the original fan.
Today I bought an ASUS Xonar DG sound card to hopefully get a better line-in so I can try to digitize my LP's.
I also got a new hard drive for my dad's pc because the old one crashed a couple of times. The odd noises did not dissapear until I borrowed the PSU from my wifes PC so maybe I need to get that also.
Hopefully early next week I'll get Pink Floyds 'the wall' and 'division bell' and Gary Moore 'best of the blues' cd's that I bought on EBAY UK.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Yard sale find. Monster Cable FM modulator for $0.50.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
hankki said:
The odd noises did not dissapear until I borrowed the PSU from my wifes PC so maybe I need to get that also.
Power supplies with bottom-mounted 120mm fan tend to be much quieter than those with back-mounted 80mm fans, for what it's worth.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My conclusion is:
If you are looking for an intimate detailed speaker in a typical bedroom (or smaller) system the EOS is an amazing speaker. I have to go to my EMP 41B ($450 on sale, if memory serves) to get that level of detail. The way it whipped-up on my RC-10's was a surprise.

In a larger environment, I could still see someone preferring the EOS, if listening to music which emphasized it's sweet-spot midrange. However, the RC-10 would be my preference.

This should not be much of a surprise. The drivers of the Energy speakers are obviously higher quality. What is a surprise is how well designed the EOS is to allow it to "spank" the Energy in a smaller environment. The crossover must be very good, and we should never forget the luck of synergy (not to take anything away from the designers
For under $400 retail - they will now be my new reference speakers. And I got
them for under $50 shipped from Ebay.

The drivers and crossover match well - the designer knows something about
crossover work. The cabinet inside is also well damped - and not something
just laid or thrown in.

H

hankki

Junior Audioholic
Power supplies with bottom-mounted 120mm fan tend to be much quieter than those with back-mounted 80mm fans, for what it's worth.

Most aftermarket PSU's here in Finland have the bottom mounted 120mm fan nowadays. Mom and dad came home from a fishing trip to northern sweden today so I had them stop by a store to get a new one so now it's as good as new.

New stuff I bought :) ZZ TOP's first album and fandango! from HD tracks. Had really good DR rating for a "new" release.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm really hoping to not have to go for a third go round. Hopefully UPS can refrain from spiking this one on my doorstep.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Awwww shi...can't wait for pics. :D
Not sure if I'm going to set it up or not. I have to wait until I see if we're moving or not. If we aren't moving, than I still need to do some work to get the screen moved so it doesn't hit the TV. If we are moving, than there's not point in doing all that work moving the screen.

Although I still need to unbox it and make sure it's working after I receive it so I guess I can snap some pics then :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bought Amazon $8 sale:

Well I liked her 1st CD which I bought last month, so I bought her newest. This lady has soul(reminds me of Canadian Singer France Joli at times):

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have a 2.1 adapter that I got on ebay a couple of months ago and it does a good job, but wanted to know if the SQ would be better on 4.1. Anyone know?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If your Bluetooth source supports Apt-X, you should get a receiver that also supports Apt-X. This one would be worth a try, for example. Or maybe this one. For what it's worth, if you're streaming from a smart phone, you might have to enable it there as well before you'll notice a difference.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Rojo Not sure(EDIT) if my LG phone(It does COOL) or Sony Z Tablet(Does not DARN) supports it. Can you tell a difference Rojo?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I guess. I know audio from my LG G2 with Apt-X enabled streamed to my HTPC sounds better than my old Nokia clamshell sounded without Apt-X. I doubt that's a fair comparison, though.

Reading reviews on some of these gadgets, it seems that some require you to physically mash something on them when you get ready to listen. I just edited my post above and added a suggestion that plugs directly into AC -- and it's even cheaper. That looks about as plug-and-forget as you can get. I'd be interested to know how it works for you if you decide to get one.

The Engrish product description is an added bonus. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis