Funk Audio Line Array

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
Very impressive. Very nice. :D
I feel bad for not getting back on this thread... But here's a bit...
It really shows the scale of the project and why Nathan has been so busy.

Hopefully you will enjoys these pictures as much as I do :)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Wow! These things have my attention. These Line Arrays cost a little more than 2x the 8.2P, and appear to have 12x the tweeters and 6x the midbass drivers.
Are they the same drivers? Seems like a lot more bang for your buck.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I am confused at how the drivers bolt in, I take it them small holes are for the fasteners? Or are them holes just to fasten the aluminum to the wood...
Looks very nice so far, I cant wait to see the grille...

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
The drivers are the same as used in the 6.1.P.

Yes the small holes are for screws, the tweeters are mounted to the back of the plate, and the midbass drivers get sandwiched between the cabinet and the plate, same idea as the 8.2.P and 6.1.P and 8.7.P.

Sorry no grills here

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I never get sick of Nathan Funk's artistry. Makes me feel inadequate :D

Anyways, are these line arrays going to be power tapered? Just curious.

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
Wow! These things have my attention. These Line Arrays cost a little more than 2x the 8.2P, and appear to have 12x the tweeters and 6x the midbass drivers.
Are they the same drivers? Seems like a lot more bang for your buck.
They are 6.1P Drivers, In terms of approximate performance...

Mid-Bass Drivers extremely well-built and is capable of reproducing highly dynamic detailed and realistic sound. A high sensitivity version of SEAS, Accuton & Scanspeak.
Tweeter - The Planar, Keeps up with the woofer also world class. Something that is on the same level as Raal and the larger version even better!

There are 24x of each driver for the pair

24 Woofers
24 Tweeters

12 of each on each side.

Looks very nice so far, I cant wait to see the grille...
Why would anyone hide these behind a grill? ;)

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
I never get sick of Nathan Funk's artistry. Makes me feel inadequate :D

Anyways, are these line arrays going to be power tapered? Just curious.
The Line approaches floor to ceiling. And is also a bit higher than 7'
I do not think he going to be tapering, that I am 99% sure. He hasn't told me anything about this part :D so No...yeah I'll just say No.
Also iirc the speaker impedance is also fine as well.

And yes, I have considered CBTs, Would not yield much of a performance gain in my application, if any... The cost is also substantially more due to the requirement of multiple units of amplification in addition to it being a 2 way and not a passive unit.

Maybe Nathan can chime in on the details if I'm incorrect.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The drivers are the same as used in the 6.1.P.

Yes the small holes are for screws, the tweeters are mounted to the back of the plate, and the midbass drivers get sandwiched between the cabinet and the plate, same idea as the 8.2.P and 6.1.P and 8.7.P.

Sorry no grills here
They need some kind of grille.. We were in Liverpool a while back and there was a small shop with custom speakers, so of course I had to walk through, I believe it was Everton where we were staying, but anyway, for grills the speaker maker used a simple block of wood, with string, very simple and very similar to the Sonus idea... It looked fantastic and when you didn't have them on the speaker you could just roll them up so they didn't take up a lot of room, and they were magnetic so no holes...

ANYWAY, speaker looks awesome so far, I wish Funk made a pair of subs sealed bottom fired passive, aimed towards music, no sub on the front of it, in their curved cabinet... Its one of the reasons I wont replace my wharfedale sw380's, there are not many good looking subs out there...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I wish Funk made a pair of subs sealed bottom fired passive, aimed towards music, no sub on the front of it, in their curved cabinet... Its one of the reasons I wont replace my wharfedale sw380's, there are not many good looking subs out there...
Order it. You'll get it.

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
They need some kind of grille.. We were in Liverpool a while back and there was a small shop with custom speakers, so of course I had to walk through, I believe it was Everton where we were staying, but anyway, for grills the speaker maker used a simple block of wood, with string, very simple and very similar to the Sonus idea... It looked fantastic and when you didn't have them on the speaker you could just roll them up so they didn't take up a lot of room, and they were magnetic so no holes...

ANYWAY, speaker looks awesome so far, I wish Funk made a pair of subs sealed bottom fired passive, aimed towards music, no sub on the front of it, in their curved cabinet... Its one of the reasons I wont replace my wharfedale sw380's, there are not many good looking subs out there...
Hi ImcLoud

When we decided to build the speakers, it was going to be pretty much a floor to ceiling, Upon completion it would be a bit more than 7' No more space for Subwoofers.
Also with the surface area from the woofers, it would provide a good amount of bass. Likely much more than my current 15" Velodyne

Having this setup is optimal and would provide the best performance for a line array. (Floor to ceiling)

I have also intended to use the Funk Audio 18.2 which is phenomenal subwoofer that can keep up with the array, and to boot possibly a pair some point in the future :D (Although not within my budget yet)
You can see the chart below... And yes I have listened to these, they are incredibly clean, detailed and sounds naturally fast even better performing than the LMS Ultra. A few guys in the Vancouver GTG this year thought the same. One of them coming from a guy with 4x 18"s (Not Ultras)

You can also get Funk to build one for you the way you want it. Of course, he will give you ideas as well as to what will perform best.

If you are looking for a Nice Subwoofer, You really should talk to Nathan to build you a "Wharfedale sw380" Funk Audio Style.
Here's a link to his 18.0s
Funk Audio - Subwoofer - 18.0 - Funk Audio

Of course you can ask him for a down firing version, don't know if you want to hide that beautiful driver though ;)

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Hi ImcLoud

When we decided to build the speakers, it was going to be pretty much a floor to ceiling, Upon completion it would be a bit more than 7' No more space for Subwoofers.
Also with the surface area from the woofers, it would provide a good amount of bass. Likely much more than my current 15" Velodyne

Having this setup is optimal and would provide the best performance for a line array. (Floor to ceiling)

I have also intended to use the Funk Audio 18.2 which is phenomenal subwoofer that can keep up with the array, and to boot possibly a pair some point in the future :D (Although not within my budget yet)
You can see the chart below... And yes I have listened to these, they are incredibly clean, detailed and sounds naturally fast even better performing than the LMS Ultra. A few guys in the Vancouver GTG this year thought the same. One of them coming from a guy with 4x 18"s (Not Ultras)

You can also get Funk to build one for you the way you want it. Of course, he will give you ideas as well as to what will perform best.

If you are looking for a Nice Subwoofer, You really should talk to Nathan to build you a "Wharfedale sw380" Funk Audio Style.
Here's a link to his 18.0s
Funk Audio - Subwoofer - 18.0 - Funk Audio

Of course you can ask him for a down firing version, don't know if you want to hide that beautiful driver though ;)

I don't want the subs to look like subs, I love the curved cabinets, but not the driver in the front... I also want to use an external amp to power them... When I am ready I think I am going to contact him about making me some cabinets I can throw a pair of 13" jl audios I have sitting in my storage room...

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
I don't want the subs to look like subs, I love the curved cabinets, but not the driver in the front... I also want to use an external amp to power them... When I am ready I think I am going to contact him about making me some cabinets I can throw a pair of 13" jl audios I have sitting in my storage room...
I'm sure he can do something like that for you :D
Just so you know Funk got some pretty powerful DSPs and Amps you can take advantage of ;)

Anyways going to have more videos up soon!

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure he can do something like that for you :D
Just so you know Funk got some pretty powerful DSPs and Amps you can take advantage of ;)

Any ways going to have more videos up soon!
I want to use an external amp for some reason, the power doesn't have to be extreme its only for a music system so 200w will get it done in most cases..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I want to use an external amp for some reason, the power doesn't have to be extreme its only for a music system so 200w will get it done in most cases..
You sound like me. :D

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
Funk Audio Line Array Part 4 Extras!

[video=youtube;XwFWEZg5_kQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwFWEZg5_kQ&list=UUnqy2i5mVNJnQ4ZSsN0e6EQ[/video]

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy said:
You sound like me.
He certainly does. I still remember you going for passive cabs from Funk.

Yah I wish I had the gear you had, lol...
Yeah his great wall of speakers that disappeared, I think... Maybe he found another room other than "Wall of great speakers room"

Anyways I hope you guys enjoy this next video...:D

[video=youtube;98izHZ-7ppY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98izHZ-7ppY&list=UUnqy2i5mVNJnQ4ZSsN0e6EQ[/video]

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
He certainly does. I still remember you going for passive cabs from Funk.

Yeah his great wall of speakers that disappeared, I think... Maybe he found another room other than "Wall of great speakers room"

Anyways I hope you guys enjoy this next video...:D

[video=youtube;98izHZ-7ppY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98izHZ-7ppY&list=UUnqy2i5mVNJnQ4ZSsN0e6EQ[/video]
This is like "Funk Audio Line Array Season 01, Episode 01-05", etc. :D

Very enjoyable. :D

I do think line array speakers are the real deal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't want the subs to look like subs...
That is one primary requirement I had.

Can the bass drivers of the Funk Line Array be actively powered using the LFE output of the processor/AVR?

When people look at the RBH SX-T2 or T30 or SX-8300, they see just a tower speaker, not a bookshelf + a subwoofer. The bass/subwoofer drivers can be actively powered via ext. amp & LFE from the AVR. So the end result is that the subwoofer does not look like a subwoofer - it looks like a tower speaker.

And since one of the best placements for both subwoofers and speakers is the 1/4Width wall placement, we can throw out the banal cliché argument that the best placement of speakers may not be the same for the subs.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That is one primary requirement I had.

Can the bass drivers of the Funk Line Array be actively powered using the LFE output of the processor/AVR?

When people look at the RBH SX-T2 or T30 or SX-8300, they see just a tower speaker, not a bookshelf + a subwoofer. The bass/subwoofer drivers can be actively powered via ext. amp & LFE from the AVR. So the end result is that the subwoofer does not look like a subwoofer - it looks like a tower speaker.

And since one of the best placements for both subwoofers and speakers is the 1/4Width wall placement, we can throw out the banal cliché argument that the best placement of speakers may not be the same for the subs.

I agree that would be the best setup a tower with a subwoofer in the base, BUT, I have yet to see one that I liked, lol.. Most are week in the subwoofer dept... Polk lsi15 {I owned}, mirage om 5 {owned}, and I have heard others, nothing ever impressed me, I want a tower with a 400w subwoofer built into each one...

I am surprised no one makes an active set of towers, built in amp for the mids and highs and a built in amp for the lows, put a 12" driver on the bottom, a pair of 6.5's and a nice tweeter on top, have the left tower have an internal preamp so you just plug your sources into it, a power wire into it, and then a cable that has power for the right and signal cables for the right in 1 harness go over to the right speaker... Have a remote control and you just plug in your cd player, plug them into together, plug in power and play music, no more trial and error, plug and play... That would be way easier...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis