Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah..meeting people is nice, I recently met up with Jim Farina of PSA and Svs fame on my visit Stateside last month. I hope Mazer is doing fine....I enjoyed reading his posts when a regular here.

Ha...I hope he didn't bring his Salk on this trip...jk...:p.

I hope he is honest and talks candidly about the speakers or even my sub....I know the Salk will be a slight deviation from what he's become used to with his Salk. Unforuntately... I don't have the RAAL Towers...but I'm sure he'll like the dynamic range of NrTs for movie viewing...I certainly do. My system is pretty simple compared to most members on these forums.

Cheers, Bill
I too have met a few great people from the forum and can honestly call them friends.

I'd only get suspicious if Alex asks you to try out his trick hand cuffs.
Or his tried & true, "Hey, it's getting hot in here. Lets take off our shirts!"

:D

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I too have met a few great people from the forum and can honestly call them friends.

Yup...no twister on this visit....my kiddies will be home...lol.

What is funny I passed RIGHT through his home state on our recent trip and thought what if...lol.

Btw... I did a baseball road trip with my son. We did 3 cities in 5 days and we covered about 2800km.

Here are the 3 parks we visted:

Ps: Fenway for me was surreal...having watched MLB baseball as a kid...I was giddy with excitement. Camden Yards has a blast with excellent sight lines looks even better in person than on TV...but my favorite was PNC park...the view of the skyline and downtown area was terrific from our seats. Tons of food choices and we had the best seats of the 3 games at very reasonable prices...that helped.

Yeah...this trip was grueling but my sons memories will last forever...we plan on doing this again next year. Maybe New Yankee stadium but NY is way to big and I had a heard time navigating through there at 1am can't imagine what rush hr would be like...lol. Cleveland and Detroit ...I think are very doable and I really want to visit the RR hall of fame.

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
What! No Citizens Bank Park?!!!!
Well considering our route I-95 that Philly stop would have made sense so would have Yankee stadium...coming from MA. Hell even Washington from Baltimore would have being a easier drive....but it had to be Pittsburgh because my son favorite positional player wears # 22 for the Pirate's and Pitt is only an hour drive to Mineral Ridge OH....:) So both dad and son got what they wanted from this trip and the wife when shopping at Grove City Outlets...so something for everyone.

I picked up these new "SE" drivers for my sub during my visit at PSA...

Here is a picture from the inside of the XS30...they use real cherry ply for their custom builds...very rigid construction and the finish product is very nice.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and if you get into a heated discussion about speakers and he asked you if you manscape...RUN!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and if you get into a heated discussion about speakers and he asked you if you manscape...RUN!

I had a nice visit with Alex last evening. We talked about all you guys...but in a good way.:p

I will say he was well behaved...unlike... how he conducts himself around here...at times.:D

I know he hasn't been up to speed around here because he has NO...Net access but I am sure when he arrives back home he'll chime in here...lol.

Alex....Thanks...for taking the time & sharing it with us upon your visit to TO...I hope you enjoyed your stay and I wish you a safe trip home after your sister visits...

Re,

Bill...:)

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I had a nice visit with Alex last evening. We talked about all you guys...but in a good way.
I'm not sure yelling out someone's name counts as "talking about" them.

:eek: :D

Glad that you had a good time! How did he like your system?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure yelling out someone's name counts as "talking about" them.

:eek: :D

Glad that you had a good time! How did he like your system?
I'd say for music my room is not totally ideal. Lots of reflection points as seen in my sig...very little asorbtion to counteract those issues...it's my living room afterall. I know he was pretty satisfied moreso with movies...living in his apartemnt he cant with good conscience turn it up....but he can now see some of the benefits of oversized driver and subs...he'll be returning home this weekend after a quick visit with his sister. He talked about the XS30 and he likened it to what he heard with Rick's Empires...come to think of it... he talked about Rick quite a bit....lol..jk...Alex.:eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey everybody. Thanks, Bill, for having me over. I get the thing about having ARC take out some of the upper mid/lower treble to tame the room response across a wide range of listening positions. I agree that it's a wise compromise for a moviecentric system.

Gotta go.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's good to meet up with guys you've talked to for years. I got to meet Mazer this summer...What a trip.:D

I'll be interested in what Alex's impressions are of your Ascends vs his Song Towers. I've heard Song Towers but not Ascend towers. I'd like to change things up in my setup...
Once ARC was turned off I thought the Ascend Towers had what it took. I couldn't really tell ARC wasn't for 2 channel music until I got something I was pretty familiar with. Price wise they're in there with the standard 3/4" dome version of the Salks. (I think.)

I hope he is honest and talks candidly about the speakers or even my sub....I know the Salk will be a slight deviation from what he's become used to with his Salk. Unforuntately... I don't have the RAAL Towers...but I'm sure he'll like the dynamic range of NrTs for movie viewing...I certainly do. My system is pretty simple compared to most members on these forums.
My ribbons aren't RAAL for the record. The difference between your RAAL center and the dome towers wasn't nearly as significant as with/without ARC. That tells me that the dome and the RAAL are voiced very similarly even if one is in a tower and one is in a center. You gotta be good to achieve that.

I had a nice visit with Alex last evening. We talked about all you guys...but in a good way.:p

I will say he was well behaved...unlike... how he conducts himself around here...at times.:D

I know he hasn't been up to speed around here because he has NO...Net access but I am sure when he arrives back home he'll chime in here...lol.

Alex....Thanks...for taking the time & sharing it with us upon your visit to TO...I hope you enjoyed your stay and I wish you a safe trip home after your sister visits...

Re,

Bill...:)
The sub, the sub, the sub ... whoa ... :D

I'm home and needin' sleep but I felt compelled to post before I crashed. Had an awesome time. Top notch set up. Sounds good, looks good ... sounds good.:D The whole thing is impressive and I don't think delightful is too strong a word for it. I think it all boils down to staying competitive at whatever price point for these manufactures. Without at least being able to a/b speakers in the same room you really don't have anything remotely fair in terms of comparison but trust has to start somewhere and it may as well be at your ears. With ARC for music (at your place only) I knew something was amiss and my Salks ruled the roost but once removed I wasn't able to notice any glaring differences.

I am suppose to be coming back up in a few months. I do have a truck. :D :D :D

Thanks again, Bill. :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Once ARC was turned off I thought the Ascend Towers had what it took. I couldn't really tell ARC wasn't for 2 channel music until I got something I was pretty familiar with. Price wise they're in there with the standard 3/4" dome version of the Salks. (I think.)

Well bring em on up....

My ribbons aren't RAAL for the record. The difference between your RAAL center and the dome towers wasn't nearly as significant as with/without ARC. That tells me that the dome and the RAAL are voiced very similarly even if one is in a tower and one is in a center. You gotta be good to achieve that.

The sub, the sub, the sub ... whoa ... :D

I'm home and needin' sleep but I felt compelled to post before I crashed. Had an awesome time. Top notch set up. Sounds good, looks good ... sounds good.:D The whole thing is impressive and I don't think delightful is too strong a word for it. I think it all boils down to staying competitive at whatever price point for these manufactures. Without at least being able to a/b speakers in the same room you really don't have anything remotely fair in terms of comparison but trust has to start somewhere and it may as well be at your ears. With ARC for music (at your place only) I knew something was amiss and my Salks ruled the roost but once removed I wasn't able to notice any glaring differences.

I am suppose to be coming back up in a few months. I do have a truck. :D :D :D

Thanks again, Bill. :)
If you do...no invitation required just give me a call. I'll promise...next visit...I'll BBQ and do some grilling...no take-out...lol.

Hey...if you're feeling up to it... bring the ST along...I would love to hear them....I know, I don't exactly live close to your dads...:).

Take care and I am glad you return home safely....those long drives can take a toll...lol.

Cheers...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That pizza and wing combo was pretty tasty. I'd rather that you spent the time standing up your center and re-wiring it, allowing me to hear a comparison of the tweeters, than flipping burgers. That's just me but don't let me stop you from grilling if that's what you want to do.

The 30 minutes it takes to get to your place from my father's is not at all a problem. I need to get my hands on some used SongTower boxes to drag the ST's up there. I could just drop them off with you for the duration of my stay. Obviously I'd like to hear the comparison but time is a commodity. I find myself happily making random plans once I'm there. Four of us ended up in Niagara Falls on Saturday with zero advanced planning. As they say, strike while the iron is hot. I'd happily settle for hearing your impressions of that comparison.

I think Rick has been tailing me. I know how crazy that sounds but the evidence is irrefutable. Had that one flip flop not blown out, I may not have ever known.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Here is a picture of me and Alex in my hot tub...next time bring along some flip-flop to avoid bare-footing in my yard....:D..jk.

Ps: You posted this picture years ago...I knew it would come in handy...lol.

Nice to hear your weekend went well...I had some choice words for my sister in-law at my parents place...I guess we won't be seeing them anytime soon...:eek:.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was a little relieved that you didn't mention the hot tub during the visit. :D

As Rick would say, "I'm a gentleman, damn it"! :eek:

I peeked in on that thread to see you were lusting after the Ascend Towers way back then.

Relatives are funny. I'm back on fb to keep track of the CA and HR factions. Kid friendly stuff only so I may as well ask Doug right now to keep his pants on.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm back on fb to keep track of the CA and HR factions. Kid friendly stuff only so I may as well ask Doug right now to keep his pants on.
Was that friend request from you, then? I thought it was until I saw the alleged birth date...and that it says you're a woman...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Was that friend request from you, then? I thought it was until I saw the alleged birth date...and that it says you're a woman...
Where do your trust issues come from? You must really suck at role playing. :D

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Digging up my old thread from my previously used ID....

New house, new location dedicated room above garage and latest upgrades after replacing old carpet, new LG OLED & inwalls, soon I'll undertake installing and running speaker cable for in ceiling frist stage .2 eventually Atmos .4 for added effects...why not...lol.

Attachments

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In case you ever make it back here again, still rocking the Ascends and the PSA sub? I’m on my phone so I can’t snoop properly. Do you recall the year I was up there?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis