What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

I have another greatest hits in my collection from his 80-90's, but this one has stuff I don't have from the 70's.

Both used.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know if it counts, but the GF and I recently signed the lease on a new apartment. Unfortunately we didn't get a unit with a garage, but we got a 3rd floor apt with 3 beds and 2 baths. Pretty good sized, albeit definitely expensive. We also looked at one of the townhomes in the complex and I was in love with it, but it was head and shoulders above the budget.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats to you and your gal. Can't wait till you set everything setup. Any pics of the empty space? :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I got a garage with my 1B/1BA and I pay through the nose for it :\
Yea, a garage unit would've cost an extra $1-200 a month, and the townhome, which includes a garage was about $300+ more a month. Considering this place already blew our budget by about $200 a month, the townhome was completely out of the question and if a garage unit was available, it would've been a tough sell to the woman.

Congrats to you and your gal. Can't wait till you set everything setup. Any pics of the empty space? :)
PM on the way :D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
That looks like a great place. The look on your new neighbors faces when they see you hauling the subwoofers will be priceless.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That looks like a great place. The look on your new neighbors faces when they see you hauling the subwoofers will be priceless.
Haha, nah, only two subs are coming with. The Baby DO and the Baby Boomer. I may experiment with some OB or dipole subs if I can find a reasonably priced carpenter in the area since I won't have any of my tools with me, and I think they would be a good balance of bass reinforcement, size, SQ, and not getting me evicted. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I picked 3rd floor too. I like to be on top :D

Nobody complains about my measly dual 15" sub. Maybe all those gun cases I have when I go to and from the range? :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
He's gonna get those Aura shakers and rid of the subs altogether.
Over my dead body :p I don't think I'll ever come to the bass shaker side.

I picked 3rd floor too. I like to be on top :D

Nobody complains about my measly dual 15" sub. Maybe all those gun cases I have when I go to and from the range? :eek:
It'll be a b!tch to move in, being up there, but overall I think it'll be best on top :p

I mean, the building is practically brand new. I'm pretty sure it's less than 3 years old, so I would like to assume they sound proofed the heck out of these places and that I won't have to worry about moderate volumes.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I would like to assume they sound proofed the heck out of these places and that I won't have to worry about moderate volumes.
VERY nice! Congrats! Makes me think about the Audyssey LFC, and wonder if it would work for you, (or anybody).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think the only time my setup is really an issue is probably during the Auto calibration :eek: Yes, I listen loud, but not at off hours. I got movers, because I went from the third floor to the third floor.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Our complex is actually kind of well setup from a sound standpoint, at least if you know what to look for. I chose a corner spot that shares no walls with anyone else except the floor (I'll explain). Where I have the system set up, that room faces out and has a fire place on one side; no shared walls. The third floor is where the roof-line is, so I get vaulted ceilings and no adjacent neighbor. The bedroom is the only one that would share a wall, but there's a fire escape separating us from the neighbor, so effectively no shared walls except in the closet; about as good as it gets in an apartment. The floors seem pretty well insulated, but then I don't have anyone above me :) I'm sure I'm the noisy one :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
VERY nice! Congrats! Makes me think about the Audyssey LFC, and wonder if it would work for you, (or anybody).
Funny you should mention that. I have the Marantz 8801 which happens to have that :D

I've played with it before and as far as I can tell it just rolls off the bass. I haven't actually verified with the measurement equipment though. Perhaps I will now that you mention it.

Man, that's a good one. I'm still snickering. :D

I hope they did. I'll bet they didn't.
That was my thinking also - waiting to see how this turns out.:)
I'm sure the neighbors will let me know real quick :D Then again, it's a brand new complex so I may not have any neighbors for a couple months while they fill up.

I think the only time my setup is really an issue is probably during the Auto calibration :eek: Yes, I listen loud, but not at off hours. I got movers, because I went from the third floor to the third floor.
I'm probably going to wish we had movers loading everything up and then moving into a 3rd floor place. Perhaps for the next move.

Our complex is actually kind of well setup from a sound standpoint, at least if you know what to look for. I chose a corner spot that shares no walls with anyone else except the floor (I'll explain). Where I have the system set up, that room faces out and has a fire place on one side; no shared walls. The third floor is where the roof-line is, so I get vaulted ceilings and no adjacent neighbor. The bedroom is the only one that would share a wall, but there's a fire escape separating us from the neighbor, so effectively no shared walls except in the closet; about as good as it gets in an apartment. The floors seem pretty well insulated, but then I don't have anyone above me :) I'm sure I'm the noisy one :D
That does sound like a really good setup. If only we made more money. The townhouse she showed us was essentially 3 floors and on a corner. Bottom floor was a semi-private entrance way and the garage. Really well set up in terms of where the rooms were located, but I guess this third floor place won't be half bad. I have no idea where it is because we didn't actually get to see it since it was still under construction when we visited so I'm not sure if it's in the middle or on a corner. I doubt it's on a corner just because I think all the corner places have garages and ours doesn't. I lived in a very poorly insulated apartment in college so I've got high hopes that his place isn't anywhere near as bad as that, since you could sneeze and hear it like the person was in the same room as you from any adjacent apartment.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I've played with it before and as far as I can tell it just rolls off the bass. I haven't actually verified with the measurement equipment though. Perhaps I will now that you mention it.
In this AVS post, the measured difference between LFC on vs off was substantial, but, the difference between LFC trims was incremental and insignificant unless comparing extreme ends of the trim.

Using LFC is an affront to your subs :D.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's more or less what I suspected it did based on what I heard. I was a bit surprised that LFC was just a simple high pass filter of varying degrees. A bit disappointing that.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I was kidding about NYC.

You very likely have double 5/8" drywall on your demising walls (each side) for the fire rating and that wall will be insulated. There's a good chance that wall is 6" studs so that helps too. There's a slim chance they used resilient channel. Even with all that, your neighbors in the building next door will be able to hear your system.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I was kidding about NYC.

You very likely have double 5/8" drywall on your demising walls (each side) for the fire rating and that wall will be insulated. There's a good chance that wall is 6" studs so that helps too. There's a slim chance they used resilient channel. Even with all that, your neighbors in the building next door will be able to hear your system.
I knew you were, and even if you weren't I was going to pretend you were :p

Oh come now, I'm not that much of a d!ck. I'm leaving half of my subs in storage here in NY, unless you or Walter wants to act as storage to one or both of them :D Even then, I'm splitting the system in half. I'll be running a 5.1 or 5.0 in the living room and a 5.1 or .2 in my office bedroom. Even after all that, I'll have enough leftover for two small 2.0 systems for the bedroom and kitchen :D

Good thing I'm a hoarder :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis