Time to buy a gun ... again

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Shops are still doing 1 box limit here on .22LR, so even if you can find it, you can't buy it in quantity. Have to take 2 or 3 people with you to get a decent amount, and then it is still expensive. At shows there are lines 20 deep to buy ammo and it runs out quick because we do have fewer shows. People are pretty much there to buy ammo first and line up for the show hours before it opens too, to get first crack. We can head out to Nevada too, but the story is similar. My buddy in Arizona said they're in the same boat.
Well, the CA weather is nice, but that's about the only reason to live there. :p

Yeah, prices on the .22 have gone up, but I sure as heck don't stand in line for a gun show for more than 5 minutes!

Republic of TX, FTW :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I can order online, but basically CheaperThanDirt , Bud's and Midway are all sold out or ridiculously expensive. CheaperThanDirt had the CCI MiniMags for $39 for one 100rd box! I paid $6 for the ones I have... Jobs, weather and diverse environment (beach and snow on the same day if you want). Other than that, there's no reason to be here.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
boo to CTD.

I haven't bought any ammo in ages. I don't want to pay these inflated prices.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Jobs, weather and diverse environment (beach and snow on the same day if you want). Other than that, there's no reason to be here.
Hey, we got that here, you just might have to drive 10 hrs to see it :eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
LOL, I've driven from Houston to Austin. That's a lot of FLAT :D
Yup. But once you get into the Big Bend area, it's a completely different terrain. A lot of people don't realize that. That's about another 8 hrs west of Austin!

Another HUGE advantage to living in TX: We don't have a state income tax. If I were to consider a job outside of TX in a state with an income tax, then I would need a raise just to cover that and break even.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, most of CA is flat too, we're just surrounded by big mountains here and there. Driving down to LA from the Bay Area isn't exactly exciting either....a whole bunch of nothin too :)

You don't have state tax, but they get you elsewhere IIRC. I'd already considered living there (Austin, my company has two big campuses there) and we have some friends in the DFW area too. Still cheaper than Ca, but housing prices don't appreciate as much because basically you can just add more houses...in the (over)populated areas here, we can't.

Oh back to gun related, my chick just got her CCW :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, I've driven from Houston to Austin. That's a lot of FLAT :D
I had to go to Dallas for work, some years back.
I remember staying at the Dallas Double Tree hotel and watching the lighting and thunder storms roll by from my upper floor window.
It was really amazing; I'd never seen anything like it before. That and the huge chocolate chip cookies they leave in the room.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DAMN YOU California! My rifle came in today...and now I have to wait 10 days to pick it up :( Been waiting 3 months and now I have to wait more; They can't start registration until they have the firearm in legal, transferable condition in their possession, so just reg'ed it. >twiddling thumbs<

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't realize that .22 was so expensive now. I bet I have 4,000 rounds of it that I was considering giving away.

I get the cheap Remington or Federal stuff from Walmart for 9 mm target practice. A lot of bad reviews on it but I have never had a miss fire with it.
In Tx, you pretty much gotta get to the store the minute the truck arrives to get .22 or 9mm. But, every truck has it, it just never even makes it onto the shelf.

I tend to buy most of my stuff at gun shows anyway, and it is always available there. I'm guessing CA has stricter laws on gun shows too? Probably not as many in CA as TX. Of course TX is a large state, but any given weekend there are at least 3-4 shows across the state.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
weird, i would have never associated a shortage of ammo with USA. especially, when it's not the ammo that's being targetted by the new laws.

even in CA, i would think the maglimit would actually result to more supply out there.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't realize that .22 was so expensive now. I bet I have 4,000 rounds of it that I was considering giving away.

I get the cheap Remington or Federal stuff from Walmart for 9 mm target practice. A lot of bad reviews on it but I have never had a miss fire with it.
Well, that turned into a good investment on the .22

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
weird, i would have never associated a shortage of ammo with USA. especially, when it's not the ammo that's being targetted by the new laws.

even in CA, i would think the maglimit would actually result to more supply out there.
After the last idiots used ARs to shoot up schools, people got scared that the ARs would be banned. So, they bought ARs and drove the price up on those.

Many ARs have conversions available to let them shoot .22. Now you got all these ARs that shoot pricier ammo, so everybody wants to convert to the cheaper .22, and that drove up the price on the .22.

Supply and demand will fix the situation eventually.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
when we play the "my government is crappier" game we realize that the whole world is going dumb, idiocracy style.

you guys have the "AR15 is evil" types

we have this:

situation 1: some robbers break into a rolex store in an upscale mall. (posing as cops mind you)
gov't knee-jerk reaction: let's make it harder for people to register firearms.

^as if the robbers used licensed firearms.

situation 2: robbers rob a jewelry store in a mall using hammers to break the display cases. (purchased from hardware store in the mall)
gov't knee-jerk reaction: you can now only pick up the hammers you purchased outside the mall. you cannot wear headgear, like baseball caps inside the mall.

^they forgot about pipe wrenches and other similar tools.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Back when Sears sold guns and ammo in NJ; I remember a box of fifty going for $0.77
If I went to my Dad's house, I could probably find a few with the price sticker still on.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
.22LR shortage has NOTHING to do with ARs. .22LR is THE most popular and most commonly fired cartridge out there and that used to be because it was so cheap. Nearly everyone has a .22. Yes, the threat of banning or restricting firearms resulted in people buying up ammo. Now that .22LR has become difficult to get and the demand has gone through the roof, people buy it as soon as it hits the store and hoard it. The second obvious issue being that you cannot reload it.

Well, that turned into a good investment on the .22
I bought a case of 5000 CCI MiniMags. More than half of them were stolen when my house was robbed and now I can't get them... I still have less than 1K left and I don't shoot them.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
when we play the "my government is crappier" game we realize that the whole world is going dumb, idiocracy style.

you guys have the "AR15 is evil" types

we have this:

situation 1: some robbers break into a rolex store in an upscale mall. (posing as cops mind you)
gov't knee-jerk reaction: let's make it harder for people to register firearms.

^as if the robbers used licensed firearms.

situation 2: robbers rob a jewelry store in a mall using hammers to break the display cases. (purchased from hardware store in the mall)
gov't knee-jerk reaction: you can now only pick up the hammers you purchased outside the mall. you cannot wear headgear, like baseball caps inside the mall.

Idiocracy is a pretty good movie :D

Idiots don't know race, borders between countries, no boundaries. Idiots are idiots, no matter what part of the world!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
.22LR shortage has NOTHING to do with ARs. .22LR is THE most popular and most commonly fired cartridge out there and that used to be because it was so cheap. Nearly everyone has a .22. Yes, the threat of banning or restricting firearms resulted in people buying up ammo. Now that .22LR has become difficult to get and the demand has gone through the roof, people buy it as soon as it hits the store and hoard it. The second obvious issue being that you cannot reload it.

I bought a case of 5000 CCI MiniMags. More than half of them were stolen when my house was robbed and now I can't get them... I still have less than 1K left and I don't shoot them.

You do make a good point about the rimfires and not being able to reload. That certainly drives up the demand from the store.

I still firmly stand behind my statement that the AR scare certainly plays a role in the .22 shortage.
CMMG .22LR AR-15 Conversion Kits - AT3 Tactical

Check out that website. Look at the timeframe when the .22 started skyrocketing in price, it was after the NJ shootings and after the prices on ARs went up. That is tough to ignore.

You had all these people getting scared that ARs were gonna get banned, so the demand and price went up. Then, these people realized that AR ammo is expensive, but you could convert to .22, thus the .22 went up due to increased demand.

Last edited:
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General

Shoot, we was so poor, we couldn't buy hammers to go rob jewelry stores. We had to go all caveman and use rocks. What is the government going to do? Ban rocks?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You do make a good point about the rimfires and not being able to reload. That certainly drives up the demand from the store.

I still firmly stand behind my statement that the AR scare certainly plays a role in the .22 shortage.
CMMG .22LR AR-15 Conversion Kits - AT3 Tactical.
All of it contributes. They sell a lot of 1911 .22LR conversions too, and interestingly, when I am at the range I notice a lot of people shooting .22 lately. I've noticed a large number of people picking up their small .22 pistols also when I'm at the shop lately...it just adds to it. I was really close to buying a 1911-22 myself until this shortage came about.

Idiocracy is an awesome movie. So dumb and so true.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis