What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I know, but I have to get my money's worth out of this one. It's the Pioneer Elite Pro which I purchased in 04 or 05 and you don't want to know how much that set me back. It's still a great display and I am a plasma guy.
I agree - and your B set-up looks nice

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
MB Quart Vera VS05 bookshelf speaker

Coming in elsberry and not maple

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What after that glowing review you're getting rid of the 530?:eek:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
What after that glowing review you're getting rid of the 530?:eek:
My review stands on the 530, they are good for a 600+ speaker - some people
liken the studio 5 series up there with Revel and KEF R series. However with my
higher-end speakers and the resolution that I prefer - I want a little more.

MB Quart (Maxxsonics), just called me to confirm my order and the speaker color >>
they did not want me to get confused with the color on the website (birdseye maple).
That is customer service - they will ship tomorrow.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My review stands on the 530, they are good for a 600+ speaker - some people
liken the studio 5 series up there with Revel and KEF R series. However with my
higher-end speakers and the resolution that I prefer - I want a little more.
Translation: The JBLs are good enough for all you plebeians :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
MB Quart Vera VS05 bookshelf speaker

Coming in elsberry and not maple

They look nice, looking forward to a review on them.

What happened those kit speakers? Are they still hanging in there as an option?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They look nice, looking forward to a review on them.

What happened those kit speakers? Are they still hanging in there as an option?
The Rhyme Acoustics Nuscale was, and maybe still is an option -
however, the MB Quart stuck in my mind.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I think I'm a bad influence on zieg :)

Just got this one yesterday. Its matched brother is due to arrive this evening.

Here it is next to one of my HTIB speakers for scale:

I expect at least a modest improvement in my sound. Initial observations are as follows:

1. It's massive.
  2. The bi-amp couplers look as thick as underground cabling -- I'm guessing 12 gauge? Could be 14. Not sure. Better than a coupling plate like a lot of bi-ampable speakers have, in any case.
  3. The grille attachment is excellent. I really dig that I can remove the grille from the front and slide it onto the back for safe keeping.
  4. It was packaged with an inordinate amount of staples on every seam of the shipping box.
  5. It's lonely by itself.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrat rojo love to see your setup after well you set them up and of course how they sound with HT and music. Gravity on BD arrived. Will watch tomm or Sat.

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Here it is next to one of my HTIB speakers for scale:

I expect at least a modest improvement in my sound.
What??
If all you hear is a modest improvement - then check your ears for ear wax build-up.:)
I can look at that picture, and hear a big difference in sound!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
God. I can hear the flautist's breath over the mouthpiece in the Jurassic Park theme. I can hear Norah Jones' velopharyngial buzz in Don't Know Why.

I need louder volume before I can form a complete opinion on vocal reproduction, but my little girl just went to bed. So it'll have to wait for now. Initial impression is that they're pretty good, maybe a tad hollow for male vocals without equalization. They've got a forward and bright character, even with the grilles left on. But I haven't given them time to break my ears in yet.

Man I wish I could turn these loose and let them soar. They're begging for power. I don't want my little girl to wonder again if I'm being attacked by monsters though. I'll have to live vicariously through zieg for now.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
God. I can hear the flautist's breath over the mouthpiece in the Jurassic Park theme. I can hear Norah Jones' velopharyngial buzz in Don't Know Why.

I need louder volume before I can form a complete opinion on vocal reproduction, but my little girl just went to bed. So it'll have to wait for now. Initial impression is that they're pretty good, maybe a tad hollow for male vocals without equalization. They've got a forward and bright character, even with the grilles left on. But I haven't given them time to break my ears in yet.

Looking at the measurements of the towers, center and the bigger bookshelf - there is no real
frequency boost between 200 and 15 khz >> sometimes that bright and forward, comes from
hearing more detail and definition plus more air from the tweeter. You should be picking up a
good soundstage with good imaging. The KLH and RCA/Optimus center, is more like a flat pan-
cake compared to the MB Quart. Based on the reviews, the Vera line has a lot of resolution.

Also your speaker placement and that left corner, can effect how voices sound - plus the rest of
the sound copy/re-production.

Give your ears some time to break in.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Grilles off:

Good news! The wife accepts their presence without grilles, so that is how they shall stay.

You're right about the imaging. I wasn't complaining about the bright character. So far I'm pleased with my purchase.

Mostly I'm happy my wife doesn't think I'm crazy for ordering them. That's the big thing. :)

Holy crap! I'm listening to "For the Love of God" from the Satriani / Johnson / Vai G3 DVD. No words. Should've sent a poet. You guys need to hear this. Can y'all just come to my house? Bring beer.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Good news! The wife accepts their presence without grilles, so that is how they shall stay.

So far I'm pleased with my purchase.

Mostly I'm happy my wife doesn't think I'm crazy for ordering them. That's the big thing. :)
That is cool

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looks great rojo congrats. They look good without the grills. Where is your sub and please move the center speaker(or is that an amp?) to the front of the TV for better vocals on movies and ear level. :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Center speaker? Why would anyone use a center speaker?

Kidding. My center speaker can't be moved unless I mount it on the wall above the TV. I don't want to do that. I thought about sticking a couple of rubber door stops under it to angle it up, but I haven't found the motivation yet. I think it sounds great where it is. My ears are only about 9° above it when I'm sitting, which doesn't seem to be enough to affect the sound noticeably. If you're curious, this is what my center speaker looks like without the grille.

My sub is behind the seats facing a corner. Behind the seats is the only place there's room for it, and facing the corner is what sounds the best. I've also got Aura Bass Shaker Pros mounted under my seats, which are great fun for movies.

Only real complaint about my sub is that its auto on / off isn't as sensitive as I'd like. When my receiver is at doctor's office volume level, my sub doesn't always turn on. I've thought about replacing the plate amp with one that has a defeatable auto standby, but it's always been too low priority for me to address. My hackish workaround is to turn the sub's gain down below 9-o'clock and turn the sub channel on the receiver up to +6dB.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis