Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In the car on the way home and it is f word cold :eek:
I have a complete weather station in my house and yesterday my degree day log, showed 65!!!! Thats 65HDD's in 24 hours, kind of a lot for the beginning of January, actually kind of a lot for any single day in this area... I used about 100lbs of coal yesterday so at .17 per lb It cost me around $17 to heat the house for a single day!!!!!

Its not too bad rite now, and its showing normal-ish temps for the rest of the week {except for Tuesday} as long as the highs are are above 30 I won't go broke heating my house... My wife says it is "sickening" how I obsess over the energy usage in our house but its my business, If I had a normal oil fired New England heating system in a house my size I could spend $6500 a year in fuel, with my systems and using coal I spend under $1500 a year, there is a difference between "cheap" and "smott" ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sure the lung damage makes up the difference between coal and oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Heating with oil can't be efficient. Not too sure about coal, but the damage caused by coal doesn't seem worth it to me.
I've been involved in protests at the university of Notre Dame over their use of coal. Most of our winds come from the west and it blows that Irish pollution over my house.
Kind of sucks being an ND fan when they're killing me... :confused: :)

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
If I had a normal oil fired New England heating system in a house my size I could spend $6500 a year in fuel, with my systems and using coal I spend under $1500 a year, there is a difference between "cheap" and "smott" ;)
Might be time to think about better insulation!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Heating with oil can't be efficient. Not too sure about coal, but the damage caused by coal doesn't seem worth it to me.
I've been involved in protests at the university of Notre Dame over their use of coal. Most of our winds come from the west and it blows that Irish pollution over my house.
Kind of sucks being an ND fan when they're killing me... :confused: :)
They should have better scrubbers. I'm disappointed that there would still be much pollution coming out of the stacks from a coal-based power station. Scrubbers have been around for decades.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure the lung damage makes up the difference between coal and oil.

The coal runs so much cleaner than oil, I fill it once a week {maybe every 4 days if it was -10 for a week but normally once a week}, no coal dust at all I burn anthracite coal that is like little chips of glass, you can run your hands through it and they come out clean, no black... they are like polished little black rocks... The ash bin when full looks like popcorn, white puffy chips and ash, NO DUST at all... The vent vents out and is so cold it wont even melt snow, its clean and has NO Soot... The heat is intense, and that unit heats my house effortlessly to 70 degrees on a -10 degree day....

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
My house is as insulated as you get, we have 2x6 and 2x8 constructions, Sips on some walls, with the insulation air gap on the others... The house is new, so insulation is very good, its so tight I use a fresh air exchanger to keep the o1 levels around 20.9%.... The size of the house and the design with high celings, huge windows, glass doors ect. makes it an energy hound, If I use oil I can expect to pay $6000 or so, coal can do it for under 2000 easily...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My house is as insulated as you get...
But not as insulated as you can get. :)

But (as you know), you can drop the heat transfer rate in two ways - one is a higher resistance (i.e. more insulation), and the other is to decrease the temperature difference. Just stop spoiling your family. Turn it down to 50 and tell them to wear a sweater. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
My wife will go get a hotel room, then there goes all my savings.... When we designed it, we tried to keep it "nice" with out sacrificing much efficiency, A friend of ours has a house similar in size {he is around 4700sq ft} and they heat with a high efficiency oil boiler {I installed}, last year they spent $8500 in two oil!!! They have 9 feet of glass doors in their bedroom. Our bedroom not counting the closets and bathroom is over 400sq ft, with 3 outside walls on the "cw" side {cold wind}... Even though its insulated and well built its big and hard to heat cheap... Coal is a good alternative to leave the tstats at 50...

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
My wife will go get a hotel room, then there goes all my savings.... When we designed it, we tried to keep it "nice" with out sacrificing much efficiency, A friend of ours has a house similar in size {he is around 4700sq ft} and they heat with a high efficiency oil boiler {I installed}, last year they spent $8500 in two oil!!! They have 9 feet of glass doors in their bedroom. Our bedroom not counting the closets and bathroom is over 400sq ft, with 3 outside walls on the "cw" side {cold wind}... Even though its insulated and well built its big and hard to heat cheap... Coal is a good alternative to leave the tstats at 50...
Irv, since you're 'in the business', did you consider geothermal or other sources?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Irv, since you're 'in the business', did you consider geothermal or other sources?
I have ground source geothermal heatpumps {a series 7 and an evision}, propane powered prestige mod con, and the coal is cheapest. Geo is nice, but with what we pay for electricity the coal is still cheaper, and now as of 1/1 it went up 13%... Geo solar would be better, BUT you need a lott of solar to run a geo system and when does it end, plau the equipment is expensive and it doesnt last forever... I have replaced gea water to airs that were only 5 years old, thats a $10K unit that lasted 5 years, so factor is $2000 a year for the cost of the unit and your savings are gone... the coal unit is easy, it gives my son responsability {his job to tend it}, americans jobs, and saves me money... My geo system will cost me to run only about half of what oil costs, coal is costing me half of that...

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
The size of the house and the design with high celings, huge windows, glass doors ect. makes it an energy hound, If I use oil I can expect to pay $6000 or so, coal can do it for under 2000 easily...
Looks like you really pay for those "energy hound" options in heating. It would be hard to imagine what a home likes yours would cost to heat up here where it gets really cold. :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like you really pay for those "energy hound" options in heating. It would be hard to imagine what a home likes yours would cost to heat up here where it gets really cold. :)
It would be easy up there, you guys have all the free wood you want, and Canadians are born with axes in their hands, loosely laced work boots, and them plaid hats that cover your ears, Aye?.... :D ...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

What this guy doing walking around that neighbor hood, my wife would have been crossing the street with the kids to stay away from him, not that she would ever be walking through a neighborhood with graffiti everywhere..

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

What this guy doing walking around that neighbor hood, my wife would have been crossing the street with the kids to stay away from him, not that she would ever be walking through a neighborhood with graffiti everywhere..
Irv the perv. Probably photoshopped.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis