Any Holiday Sales Thread

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The orbit TT's are $10 off today only with coupon code "gobblegobble", however I have noticed that they switched carts. Instead of the Ortofon they're now shipping with an Audio Technica.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
:cool:^^Oh oh I see a post in the bought stuff coming soon...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... they switched carts. Instead of ... they're now shipping with an Audio Technica.
This reminds me of something from many years ago that was quite frustrating for me at the time. My brother bought a cheap Audio Technica cartridge that he put on his very good turntable, and I bought a much more expensive and very highly regarded cartridge and stuck it on my turntable. His sounded much better than mine. But I learned from that. The turntable matters more than the cartridge. Frankly, if one does not have a really, really good turntable, there is little point in buying anything better than a cheap Audio Technica cartridge. (Which, by the way, they make surprisingly good ones for the money, or at least did in the distant past.)

And for the inquisitive, I do not remember the models of turntables in question, though his was a significantly better one than mine. And mine was not total junk. But if you are serious about vinyl, put your money into a really good turntable, or don't bother wasting much money on a cartridge.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
This reminds me of something from many years ago that was quite frustrating for me at the time. My brother bought a cheap Audio Technica cartridge that he put on his very good turntable, and I bought a much more expensive and very highly regarded cartridge and stuck it on my turntable. His sounded much better than mine. But I learned from that. The turntable matters more than the cartridge. Frankly, if one does not have a really, really good turntable, there is little point in buying anything better than a cheap Audio Technica cartridge. (Which, by the way, they make surprisingly good ones for the money, or at least did in the distant past.)

And for the inquisitive, I do not remember the models of turntables in question, though his was a significantly better one than mine. And mine was not total junk. But if you are serious about vinyl, put your money into a really good turntable, or don't bother wasting much money on a cartridge.
I wish somebody would get one of these Uturn TT's. Spec wise they're nearly identical to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, but I would expect the tonearm is not quite as good as the carbon. I also wonder how the motor and platter will hold up over time and if the motor is strong enough to accommodate some add ons, like a weight. I'd love to support a startup, made in the USA company like Uturn, but there are some good TT's right around the price of their more expensive model from companies that have great reps and have been around awhile.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Happy Cyber Saturday Uh, Sale!

PNY 64GB Attache USB 2.0 Flash Drive $17

Tiger Direct has the Logitech UE Air Speaker (980-000625) for $150 - $20 off with V.me Checkout - $50 rebate [Exp 12/2] + $9 shipping = $89 shipped. Normally found for $159+ on the web. This Wi-Fi enabled speaker features excellent Amazon reviews.BOND 50 Blu-ray Box Set with SkyFall $100

Staples has Omnitech 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder on sale for $55 - $10 off with coupon code 37464 - $35 rebate = $10. Shipping is free.

Harry Potter 1 through 8 Blu-rays $30
:eek:

Vizio E420-A0 42" 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV $348

LaView LV-KDV0404B5B 4-Ch Security DVR $80:eek::p

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens $279:eek:

Staples has Logitech K360 Wireless Keyboard (Gloss Black) on sale for $9.99 with free ship to store.

:eek::eek::eek:529$ + SHIP: Samsung 51" Class 5034" Diag. Plasma 1080p 600Hz HDTV PN51F5300AFXZA - Best Buy

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For fans, Miyazaki films appear to be on sale on Amazon. I don't think the BD versions have been this low before. Most are $10 off, a few are 50% off.

Amazon.com: Howl's Moving Castle (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Jean Simmons, Christian Bale, Lauren Bacall, Blythe Danner, Billy Crystal, Emily Mortimer, Liliana Mumy, Josh Hutcherson, Hayao Miyazaki, From The Novel By Diana Wynne Jones, Screenpl

Amazon.com: My Neighbor Totoro (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Dakota Fanning, Elle Fanning, Tim Daly, Pat Carroll, Lea Salonga, Frank Welker, Paul Butcher, Sonya Issacs, Hayao Miyazaki: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Castle in the Sky (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): James Van Der Beek, Anna Paquin, Cloris Leachman, Mark Hamill, Mandy Patinkin, Hayao Miyazaki: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: From Up on Poppy Hill (Blu-ray / DVD Combo Pack): Sarah Bolger, Chris Noth, Anton Yelchin, Christina Hendricks, Aubrey Plaza, Isabelle Fuhrman, Gillian Anderson, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ron Howard, Beau Bridges, Masami Nagasawa, Jun'ichi Ok

Amazon.com: Ponyo (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Cate Blanchett, Noah Cyrus, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Frankie Jonas, Cloris Leachman, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin, Betty White, The Newscaster, Kumiko, Hayao Miyazaki, Written By Hayao Miyazaki, English Langua

Amazon.com: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Alison Lohman, Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, Edward James Olmos, Hayao Miyazaki: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: The Secret World of Arrietty (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Bridgit Mendler, David Henrie, Amy Poehler, Will Arnett, Moises Arias, Carol Burnett, Hiromasa Yonebayashi: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Whisper of the Heart (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo): Yoshifumi Kondo, Screenplay And Storyboard By Hayao Miyazaki: Movies & TV

http://www.amazon.com/Grave-Fireflies-Blu-ray-Ayano-Shiraishi/dp/B008XEZXRA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1385913836&sr=8-16&keywords=howls+moving+castle+blu-ray

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Amazon.com has their Panasonic VT series plasma TV's at 35% off. Just picked up a 55" one to upgrade over my 32" LCD. :cool:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Amazon.com has their Panasonic VT series plasma TV's at 35% off. Just picked up a 55" one to upgrade over my 32" LCD. :cool:
Wow, I just went to look and saw the 60 and 65 inchers on there too. Ugh ... my g/f who's the TV watcher said we should just go for the middle of the road 60 incher. I hate having to be the adult.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, I just went to look and saw the 60 and 65 inchers on there too. Ugh ... my g/f who's the TV watcher said we should just go for the middle of the road 60 incher. I hate having to be the adult.
Did you see where the 65" VT is actually cheaper than the 65" ST?! Dude - if you get the 65" one, you'll be SAVING money. Tell her that. :D

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Congrats! What did you get?
The 55" version: TC-P55VT60 Should fit my stand w/o issue and right in the range of how much I wanted to spend.

They're having some problems with my card, so I'll have to see if I can get that sorted out with my bank account. Curse you spending limits!! :mad:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mel Brooks collection has been on sale for a few weeks. I haven't picked it up yet, but I no longer have any of those films :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis