Who doesn't need more speakers?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well after doing some far field listening to them (where they sounded tremendous) I decided to set them up where they'll actually be going. The monitor pads are on order which should get them up to ear height and decouple them from the desk. If you were wondering how they sound, lets just say they haven't been off since I finished buttoning them up. I don't see them being off very much in the future either.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
It's amazing how good these little bookshelves can sound once you get the right finish on them. :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Fuzz I think you have the right on the left and left on the right, lol...

If they sound half as good as they look Im sure they are great... good job..

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's amazing how good these little bookshelves can sound once you get the right finish on them. :D
I didn't go for a mirror finish, just super shiny. However, I can definitely see why a mirror gloss costs extra and guys like Del hate doing them. My arms are numb.

Fuzz I think you have the right on the left and left on the right, lol...

If they sound half as good as they look Im sure they are great... good job..
I'm pretty sure tweeter offset goes towards the inside. Either way they're like a foot from my face so it can't matter that much :p :D

Thanks, now I just have to actually finish one of the three other projects that are bare MDF :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have to say I've been worrying about how to do a crossover (whether to get a cheap receiver or just a miniDSP), but right now I don't really feel like I need to rush to get a sub integrated into the system. Especially since I'm doing nearfield listening and these can dig into the 30s with no problems. Definitely glad I spent the extra $100 on these instead of just buying another pair of EMP's.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have to say I've been worrying about how to do a crossover ...
If you call $350 cheap for a rec'r, then that's what I'm doing for the xo. It's an alright solution I guess but I would say only if it has a 24dB/oct low pass slope like a THX rec'r would have. Those dig into the 30s? You mean like 39? Haha :p I forget what mine go to but not that low for sure. Still they handle bass exceedingly well up to a certain volume of course. How much did parts run you?

I liked your EMPs too. What are you using for isolation pads? The Mo-Pads? I bet those would sound good with a certain amp. ADK is giving me a cut of the sale ... at least he better! :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If you call $350 cheap for a rec'r, then that's what I'm doing for the xo. It's an alright solution I guess but I would say only if it has a 24dB/oct low pass slope like a THX rec'r would have. Those dig into the 30s? You mean like 39? Haha :p I forget what mine go to but not that low for sure. Still they handle bass exceedingly well up to a certain volume of course. How much did parts run you?

I liked your EMPs too. What are you using for isolation pads? The Mo-Pads? I bet those would sound good with a certain amp. ADK is giving me a cut of the sale ... at least he better! :D
I think I'll probably end up going with a miniDSP if and when I decide to add a sub to the setup. They're just so cheap and I'll be able to add a little EQ to the sub and the speakers if I want to. I believe F6 is somewhere around 38hz so you were way off :p The kit was $370 I think after shipping, but that was with the assembled XO which adds about $20-30.

The EMP's were and are awesome speakers. I'm sure someday I'll get them off the wall and use them for something more befitting their driver quality. I actually decided to go with these, so we'll see how it goes. I wanted these because they were a little wider than the Mo-Pads and they you can use them as flat for angled up/down whereas I think the Mo-Pads are up or down.

They would definitely sound good with a certain amp. Although it's a bit difficult to rationalize when I could just get another 60 WPC T-amp and have enough volume to fill the tiny apartment, or "house" as you call it. :D However, nobody ever called me rational.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just had this really great post typed out but lost it after searching out a link to my Marantz MA-500U amps ... bummer.

The Mo-Pads do indeed sit flat if you configure the sloped pads against each other. That turns into a 2" height boost. Assembled crossovers is the way I would go too. Then again I'm into pre-made PE cabinets and having all the work done by Swerd. I'm listening to a little Chopin on vinyl ATM.

I may amp up my MB-27s today. I mean I should amp up my MB-27s today. A couple of hundred bucks for amplification is one thing, $1500 is a horse of an altogether different color ... but an ATI amp on a pair of bookshelves would surely earn Walter's approval.

Where oh where is my SPL meter ... ??? :confused:

BTW, The Mo-Pads are a split design that you can use to accommodate any width speaker. So when you get a set you end up with 4 platforms. I'm using 2 of the 4 platforms for the SongCenter.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dude, those look awesome! When are you going to have your store website up so that I can place my order? Plus, you've got to come up with a name for them.

My arms are numb.
Alex quotes you about a crossover, but let's this slide. This whole forum should be embarrassed.

:D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Nice job on the cabinet build.

I finally went back and read this whole thread, these speakers are the Mandolin kit sold by Meniscus. Right? I've never heard a speaker and crossover designed by Jeff Bagby. Obviously you like it.

The SB Acoustics woofer and tweeter look like good performers and Jeff Bagby's frequency response curve looks excellent. The price for that kit makes it seem very attractive.

What do you think about the Mandolins' overall tonal balance (warm, neutral, or bright), compared to your Phils. Is it similar, or noticeably different? There will be differences due to the drivers themselves, but I'm curious to know if Jeff Bagby's design style results in a similar or different sound than what Dennis aims for.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I just had this really great post typed out but lost it after searching out a link to my Marantz MA-500U amps ... bummer.

The Mo-Pads do indeed sit flat if you configure the sloped pads against each other. That turns into a 2" height boost. Assembled crossovers is the way I would go too. Then again I'm into pre-made PE cabinets and having all the work done by Swerd. I'm listening to a little Chopin on vinyl ATM.

I may amp up my MB-27s today. I mean I should amp up my MB-27s today. A couple of hundred bucks for amplification is one thing, $1500 is a horse of an altogether different color ... but an ATI amp on a pair of bookshelves would surely earn Walter's approval.

Where oh where is my SPL meter ... ??? :confused:

BTW, The Mo-Pads are a split design that you can use to accommodate any width speaker. So when you get a set you end up with 4 platforms. I'm using 2 of the 4 platforms for the SongCenter.

I just ordered the Mo-Pads. Amazon said they had no idea when the others would be back in stock so I canceled and switched. Good to know though about all the pieces.

What I really wanted just sold on eBay so I guess this opens the door to dreaming about an ATI amp :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Dude, those look awesome! When are you going to have your store website up so that I can place my order? Plus, you've got to come up with a name for them.

Alex quotes you about a crossover, but let's this slide. This whole forum should be embarrassed.

:D
Maybe someday. I'm 99% sure nobody would want me to build anything for them for any money though, but hey...I'd uh..do it. I'm always looking for another project and one that I don't keep would certainly sound good to someone I know. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Nice job on the cabinet build.

I finally went back and read this whole thread, these speakers are the Mandolin kit sold by Meniscus. Right? I've never heard a speaker and crossover designed by Jeff Bagby. Obviously you like it.

The SB Acoustics woofer and tweeter look like good performers and Jeff Bagby's frequency response curve looks excellent. The price for that kit makes it seem very attractive.

What do you think about the Mandolins' overall tonal balance (warm, neutral, or bright), compared to your Phils. Is it similar, or noticeably different? There will be differences due to the drivers themselves, but I'm curious to know if Jeff Bagby's design style results in a similar or different sound than what Dennis aims for.
Yes they are and neither had I, but I kept reading about this designs over on PE techtalk so I wanted to give one a try.

The price is great and there are actually 3 kits that are all around the same price, with the Mandolin being the most expensive. The other two are smaller and are the Piccolo and the Sopranos.

I'll have to get back to you about the differences. I've mostly been listening to a lot of music that isn't all that great for comparitive listening so far. However, I've got nothing to do today so I'll give them both a listen.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
After listening to them for awhile I would have to say that they are very similar to the Phil's IMO, in terms of tonal balance and their overall sound. Everything sounds natural and the only differences that really stood out were due to driver differences and other design differences (open back mid, 3-way vs 2-way, etc). I think that Jeff does an excellent job with his speakers and that, for the most part his design goals are very similar to Dennis'. Although I did notice that on the Sopranos he wasn't going for the flattest possible response in the bass section, but there was a reason for it and it's in the write up PDF on the product page. It had something to do with giving the speakers a little boost in the bass region vs how deep their FR was. Something like 2db if they only made it down to 50hz, 1db for 40hz, and flat for 30 to sound most natural. I wouldn't hesitate recommending one of his kits and I'm now kind of curious to see what his top of the line Kairos sound like since he and a few others say a lot of great things about that kit.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm absolutely shocked this didn't derail this entire thread.
I thought that's what this whole thread was about. :confused: Given all the talk about rubbing oil on wood, knee pads, and giving it a good polishing.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I thought that's what this whole thread was about. :confused: Given all the talk about rubbing oil on wood, knee pads, and giving it a good polishing.
That does explain why you subscribed to it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I should have known that I couldn't leave my thread alone with you knuckleheads.

Anywho, purple is right channel, blue is left channel and green is averaged, all from the LP which is about 2.5ft from each speaker.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I should have known that I couldn't leave my thread alone with you knuckleheads.
You sure you don't mean "chuckleheads?" :)

Nice frequency response, btw. Is the average lower than the individuals because of interference? Yes...I'm that ignorant.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis