Who doesn't need more speakers?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Cracks filled and sanded. Ready for the outer baffles.

Getting some of the trim pieces fitted.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, the rear baffles and trim are on and the outer front baffles are glued and clamped. Tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to get the trim on both cabs depending on how many clamps its going to take per speaker. If it all works out tomorrow, then on Thursday I'll be able to do a little trimming with the flush cut bit and then I'll bring them up to the apartment for a little test to see how it all sounds. If all goes well I'll start filling in the last minor cracks and sanding by the weekend. Then the arduous finishing process begins.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looking really good, Fuzz! I can't wait to see them after you get done with the finishing, especially if they look as nice as that table.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looking really good, Fuzz! I can't wait to see them after you get done with the finishing, especially if they look as nice as that table.
Thanks. The plan is to finish them exactly like the table so that they completely blend in. Since they're made from the same sheets of Ply, it should be an identical match.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. The plan is to finish them exactly like the table so that they completely blend in. Since they're made from the same sheets of Ply, it should be an identical match.
Dang, you make it look easy.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Everything is easy with the right tools :D
Yes, tools are number 1 on the list. Even the best mechanic is only as good as his worst tool.

Then, learning how to use the tools correctly, that's the hard part.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As I suspected, not enough clamps to do all 8 pieces of trim.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I always take it slow with the glue up. It's the easiest time to destroy a good box IMO.
Very true. During my first build, the 18" sealed sub, I went too fast with gluing some side panels together and I ended up having to break the joint, sand, and redo it. What a pain that was. With these trim pieces I purposely had them a little big because I knew things would be a little off. No matter how many times I measure and calibrate that table saw it's still not accurate to within more than a 16th of an inch, but at least it's consistent so I can at least plan for it, for the most part. I'd really like to get a digital meter for the fence, which will at least hold me over until I can upgrade it someday. I've also considered the incra fences, but they're more money than the table saw and I keep wondering if it won't be something like putting lipstick on a pig.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Very true. During my first build, the 18" sealed sub, I went too fast with gluing some side panels together and I ended up having to break the joint, sand, and redo it. What a pain that was. With these trim pieces I purposely had them a little big because I knew things would be a little off. No matter how many times I measure and calibrate that table saw it's still not accurate to within more than a 16th of an inch, but at least it's consistent so I can at least plan for it, for the most part. I'd really like to get a digital meter for the fence, which will at least hold me over until I can upgrade it someday. I've also considered the incra fences, but they're more money than the table saw and I keep wondering if it won't be something like putting lipstick on a pig.
The two most important parts of a table saw are the blade and the fence. A Forrest Blade with an Incra fence can make a cheap contractor saw professional grade.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The two most important parts of a table saw are the blade and the fence. A Forrest Blade with an Incra fence can make a cheap contractor saw professional grade.
Wow, those blades are super fancy. I really need to nail this interview :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to find out if my cheapo table saw is compatible.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
One more day of work until I get to dry fit the drivers and give the speakers a dry run. If all goes well, they'll be apart, tested, and back apart for finishing by Friday.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Roundover complete. I decided not to go all the way with the round over and instead left a little trim untouched. I actually undershot the round over, liked how it looked and so I left the bit height where it was. They look pretty good to me :D Can't wait to get the first coat of Danish oil on tomorrow, however I'm sure my shoulders won't appreciate all the rubbing that is to come.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
These look great fuzzy, how on earth do you get time to do this and ninja training

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Progressively sanded from 80-600, then two coats of Danish Oil. I'll let them sit for 24-48 hours then do another two coats.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm coming into this thread late, but not too late to say nice looking work! There is more than one way to build a speaker cabinet, and I like how you integrated the hardwood trim into the two layer front baffle.

Good photos and your woodworking kung fu is getting strong.

That must have been nice watching as you put on that first coat of Danish Oil.

Is the 2-way SB driver design yours? Curious minds want to know.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis