Who doesn't need more speakers?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Here we go again. After building my desk I had a bunch of scrap wood left over. Obviously the sight of that stuff sitting around began to sicken me, plus I have no computer speakers so I think you can see where I'm going with this. Don't have the kit yet, so routing the driver holes will have to wait, but there's a lot of other stuff I can do that I don't need the drivers for so why not get started? I'm still working out a few of the details, but so far coming along nicely. Bonus points if you can guess what kit this is.

First cabinet clamped.

Second one awaiting clamps.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Little more work today.

Filling some cracks.

Second cabinet glued and clamped

What will eventually be the hardwood edges on the front and rear baffles

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just got my list of cool stuff headed my way from Meniscus.

Product # Qty Unit Price Total Price Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------
SB29R 1 $0.00 $0.00 SB Acoustics, SB29RDC-C000-4, 1" Ring Dome Tweeter
SB29R 1 $0.00 $0.00 SB Acoustics, SB29RDC-C000-4, 1" Ring Dome Tweeter
SB17U 2 $0.00 $0.00 SB Acoustics, SB17NRXC35-8-UC, 6.5" Mid/Woofer, Uncoated Cone, 8 ohm
PCB 4 $0.00 $0.00 Hard Wired, MDF Circuit Board
DLH 14 $0.00 $0.00 Assembly-Labor/Component
SL82.5 2 $0.00 $0.00 2.5mH, 18ga Steel Laminate
A8.6 2 $0.00 $0.00 .60mH, 18ga. A.C.
X8.2 2 $0.00 $0.00 8.2uf, PulseX, Polypropylene, 250V, 3%
X4.7 2 $0.00 $0.00 4.7uf, PulseX, Polypropylene, 250V 3%
A25 2 $0.00 $0.00 .50mH, 20ga. A.C.
DAC 2 $0.00 $0.00 Ultra Dacron, Bonded 12" x 27 x 1-1/2" (1oz.)
2P11 2 $0.00 $0.00 2" dia ABS Port Tube, Adjustable from 6-11"
16B 8 $0.00 $0.00 Stinger, 16ga OFC Hook Up Wire, Black/Ft
16R 3 $0.00 $0.00 16ga, Stinger, OFC Hook Up Wire, Red/ft
16BL 3 $0.00 $0.00 Stinger16ga, OFC Hook Up Wire, Blue/Ft
16G 2 $0.00 $0.00 16ga, Hook Up Wire, Green/ft
BP 2 $0.00 $0.00 "Big Post", Gold, 5-way post/pr, 1-1/16"
8S 8 $0.00 $0.00 #8 x 3/4", PANHEAD, PHILIPS, BLACK
6S 8 $0.00 $0.00 #6 X 3/4", PHILIPS, PANHEAD, BLACK
10R8.2 2 $0.00 $0.00 8.2 Ohm, 10 W Resistor, 8R2J
10R20 2 $0.00 $0.00 20 Ohm, 10 W Resistor, 20RJ
10R6.2 2 $0.00 $0.00 6.2 Ohm, 10 W Resistor, 6R2J
10R7.5 2 $0.00 $0.00 7.5 Ohm, 10 W Resistor, 7R5J

Last edited by a moderator:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's pretty close to the TLS technique using quarter round on the middle join I wish my tools had the precision for that type of approach. Very nicely done.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. I should get some more progress done on my builds.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. One if the details I'm still thinking about is whether to chamfer or round those hardwood edges. There will still be a little fit work, but they came out pretty well for a first attempt. The only problem is I thought I had two boards left over from building my speaker stands, turns out I only had one. So now I have to order another one. Not a big deal since the kit isn't even here yet, but irritating all the same.

That's great! I'm been following that build and am I interested to see how it turns out. I'm out of work until September when school starts back up so I have too much time on my hands. Finding a summer job is tough since I coach and that takes up most of August and nobody wants to hire a one month employee.

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
I believe those will be the Mandolins designed by Jeff Babgy. Good luck with your build. You seem to crank these things out pretty fast and they turn out great. I look forward to your progress.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I believe those will be the Mandolins designed by Jeff Babgy. Good luck with your build. You seem to crank these things out pretty fast and they turn out great. I look forward to your progress.
You are correct :D Thanks, I'm pretty sure it's because I have less of a life than everybody else :p

Unfortunately the progress has halted until Friday when the kit arrives. Oh well, I'm off to get some more maple for my trim.
Went and got the maple board, got it all cut, got the other cab's cracks filled and the braces glued. Now I just need to hurry up and wait.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you can roundover you probably should, but it may make finishing work much harder. If you ever want to do it easily in the future cut a 1/4" rabbet in every board before assembly and cut them all 1/4" short of the dimensions. When you glue them up you will have a 1/4" groove in every spot and can add quarterround to the groove.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If you can roundover you probably should, but it may make finishing work much harder. If you ever want to do it easily in the future cut a 1/4" rabbet in every board before assembly and cut them all 1/4" short of the dimensions. When you glue them up you will have a 1/4" groove in every spot and can add quarterround to the groove.
I kind of did that with this build. With the double thick front and rear, the inside piece fits flush inside the T/B/L/R and the outside piece will "protrude" 3/4" which should make the trim pieces fit flush and give them only one place to go. I don't know if that made any sense, I just have my fingers crossed that it will work :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I kind of did that with this build. With the double thick front and rear, the inside piece fits flush inside the T/B/L/R and the outside piece will "protrude" 3/4" which should make the trim pieces fit flush and give them only one place to go. I don't know if that made any sense, I just have my fingers crossed that it will work :D
Then all you need is 3/4" quarter round and you're golden. Makes finishing easy too. I lack the precision to take full advantage of it otherwise I'd do the same technique.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Then all you need is 3/4" quarter round and you're golden. Makes finishing easy too. I lack the precision to take full advantage of it otherwise I'd do the same technique.
Next time ;)

This time I kinda have to make use of my maple board since I already bought it and cut it. I trimmed the board with the grain into 3/4"X3/4" squares, trimmed the square to length, then put a 45 degree angle at the ends. Once they're attached to the cab, I'll have to hit them with the roundover bit. A lot more work than just buying the round over, but hey a rookie like me needs the practice :D

Also, I couldn't help myself, I got the inner part of the rear baffle attached. After some thought, it really doesn't restrict me in any way and will save a little more time when the driver finally get here. I have to say that this is a pretty nifty tool, although I think I'm going to get the smaller version since the big one is kind of a pain for smaller work.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You're a better woodworker than me or at least you have better tools. I'd love to have an Incra anything. Are you going to brace the inside any? That maple should do the trick.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You're a better woodworker than me or at least you have better tools. I'd love to have an Incra anything. Are you going to brace the inside any? That maple should do the trick.
I highly doubt I'm a better woodworker than you. I only really started "precision" woodworking when I started DIY'ing. I have other woodworking experience, but it was mostly random stuff during summer jobs. I readily attribute any successes I have to the tools and any issues that arise to human error.

I love incra stuff. I'd really like to get one of their miter gauges for the table saw, since the one supplied with the Dewalt table saw is a bit sketchy. Some of those 45 degree cuts are definitely a little off and I don't think it was entirely me. I'd also like to add a digital gauge to my fence on the table saw. Anything I can do to take myself out of the equation :D

The design calls for a single brace, either H style or window style. There isn't really much room in the cabinet for any more than that based on the stock measurements of the woofer. I really have to wait and see how much room the crossovers take up. I think there are two crossover boards per cab, to they may take up the space I would have used to add additional bracing. If I'm not happy with how it looks once I get the kit tomorrow, I'll just order some more binding posts and make the crossovers outboard. Although I do have a ton of either 1.5" or 2" mineral wool I can use in addition to the supplied dacron to try and keep resonance and vibration down that way.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
+1 on the INCRA tools! I need to get those! Bookmarked a couple pages, and yes the miter gauge would be most excellent for calibrating my tools. Thanks!

My Dad has a second garage that has enough machinery to be a working cabinet shop, but its a mess. I told him I'm coming over this fall to clean the whole thing out and get it up and running. Then build some Kitchen and Bath cabinets, and then, some speaker cabinets!

Tuned in! Keep the updates coming!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I spent some time tonight getting the driver measurements I need and cutting some holes. Here are the two interior baffles for the front.

I forgot to take pictures of the rear baffles, but they're all set, completely done. I also did a practice run through of the outer front baffles and they came out ok. I screwed up one, but at least I see where I made my mistake. So tomorrow I can get those done and start to button everything up.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
In addition to what you see below, I also got the baffle glued and clamped inside the cab.

Brace

Outer Front Baffle

Driver fit test

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Inner baffles are now going on.

I already tested the drivers to make sure they were all functional. Now I'm testing the crossovers.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Predicted bass response with 60 watts, 1m, anechoic. F3 is at about 40hz and F6 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 32-33hz. Nearfield, it should deliver an extremely pleasant, full range sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis