kormic46

Audiophyte
My speakers..!

vector research .? any body KNOWS THOSE ? i HAVE THEM

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Other:
Atlantic Technolgies System 120 for my living room.
Theater showroom has :
Wharfedale Evo 10's and Evo surrounds 12" evo sub
Triad IW Silver with Reel Acoustics 12" sub
Tru-Audio Evolve LCR with CPI-6 ceiling surrounds also with Reel acoustics sub

nav

nav

Audioholic
Other: KEF Q5 (left and right), Qcompact (surround left and surround right), and Q9 (center). I wish the Q5s were a little taller (the taller Q11s were not available when I purchased them, I haven't listened to them or priced them), but I'm otherwise very happy with their looks and sound, especially considering the awkward positioning I've had to put them in (I'll soon be rearranging the room to solve most of that problem, as soon as I get some new speaker stands for the Qcompacts).

I haven't bought a sub yet (saving up :)). If I find the room and find a way to run the speaker wire, I'll add two more Qcompacts to finish the 7.1, but that's a low priority given that I listen to music more than I watch movies.

A

ArxFatalis

Enthusiast
MTX home theateer audio here

MONITOR 10 ( left + right fronts) 200 watts RMS 94 db
MONITOR 6 (left + right sourrounds) 100 watts RMS 89 db
MONITOR 6c ( center channel) 100 watts RMS 92 db

They are power hungry speakers. The last home theater in a box receiver I had ( kenwood ) almost fried when I matched these new MTX speakers. :p

B

Beowulf

Audioholic Intern
Krazykaj said:
"OTHER"

Linn Ninkas (Mains)
Linn Katans (Surrounds)
Monitor Audio (Center Channel, soon to be upgraded to Linn Trikan)
With some spare speakers from Paradigm and Boston Acoustics for Presence channels and Surround Back channels :)

Cheers
KJ
Love the Ninkas, great sounding speaker. I had the pleasure of demoing them in here in San Diego.

I Could'nt go for them though because of our current great room set up I needed on-walls. I purchsed the Vienna Acoustics Schonberg Series (3 Weberns l/c/r) (2 Bergs rr) (1 Subson subwoofer).

B

baldbear

Enthusiast
I own Infinity's, just the Primus Series for mostly Movies. While stationed in Germany, I bought a pair of Infinity SM150's and was pumping them via a Carver Amp and PreAmp. Still have the SM150's in the Garage, and figure I would check out the Primus Series. For HT they are great, but for music, I think their lacking. Would love to someday (talk my wife into) purchase a set of Paradigm Bookshelf speakers...heard them in Mesa and they sounded extremely clean.

annunaki

annunaki

PSB Image 4T, 8C, 3LR for surround, B&W Signature 7 SE Inwalls with custom enclosures for music.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Mains: Yamaha NS-300
Central: Yamaha NS-C300
Surround: Kef Cresta1
Pressence: Celestion F-10

Would like: B&W Nautilus or Canton Karat.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
howie85 said:
What speakers are you using? Are you happy with them? Thinking about upgrading, to what? Just thinking about upgrading myself and trying to see if there is a favorite with customer satisfaction. Thanks
PSB Stratus Minis are my main speakers and I must say I am pretty well satisfied with them. They are the most accurate speakers I ever had. They throw a nice wide image with good depth; they sound fine on most recordings; and they don't call attention to themselves. In other words, while I'm listening to them, I don't feel I need something more.

When I was auditioning speakers, I heard some very well regarded speakers that are much more expensive which didn't sound any better, some in an A-B comnparison. I'm not saying some of them might not please me as well, such as the B & W 705 (yes, I do have subwoofer!), the more expensive Dali Helicon 400 and the Sonus Faber Concerto Grand Piano, though I only heard them in the stores, not at home. But at the price, the Stratus Mini was an easy choice, especially since I prefer its more laid back balance.

I have been very much impressed with some others but hadn't heard them for some months such as the Paradigm Signature S2 and the Totem Mani-2 (I did come across a minor anomaly in the sound of the Mani-2 which showed itself on a few recordings). What would happen if I heard them and other excellent speakers in an A-B comparison, I don't know. For anyone interested, Soundstage reviewed the S2 (it measures extremely well) and Stereophile reviewed the Mani-2.

Based on reviews with good measurements as well as laudatory comments, I would like to hear the PSB Platinum S2 (Soundstage) and the Linkwitz Orion (The Audio Critic). Here is a link to the Linkwitz site and you can also find the review from The Audio Critic there:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

So I already know four possible candidates for upgrading, but right now the music sounds so good over the Stratus Minis that I'm not really looking.

Last edited:
Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
DIY: Linkwitz-designed PMT1 mini-dipole 2-way monitors. Will be building his Orions this year.

Pat D: Linkwitz has a list of Orion builders on his site who are willing to let people visit and audition the speakers. It's on the Orion FAQ page. See if one is near you.

Once I have my Orions built and installed in a proper room (that's another project), I might add myself to that list. But that's a couple of years off!

Last edited:
MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Athenas LOL im in highschool, maybe later ill go with something more high end.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Just upgrading out of an Onkyo 770 (which I feel was a good investment :p )

Polk R50s front
Polk R15s surround
looking for a CSi30 center (Onkyo center for now)
Onkyo Sub
Onkyo Ht R520 receiver

M

mitch57

Audioholic
Here's my system.

Denon 3805 Receiver
Rotel RMB-1095 5 Channel Power Amp
Def Techs BP 7002s
Def Techs CLR 2500
Def Techs BP 2Xs
Integra DPC 8.5 DVD Changer
Sony KV-36FS17 CRT TV
Dish 510 DVR
Richard Gray RGPC 400 MK II (2 each).
Impact Acoustics interconnects
MX-500 remote control

REWJR

REWJR

Junior Audioholic
HT equipment

Home theater basement room :

DTV Panasonic HDTV STB plus OTA receiver
BEV model 6000 HDTV STB
Rogers HD8300 PVR plus external SATA 250GB drive
Samsung HD-950 DVD
Nakamichi 5.1 receiver
Concept 200 tower speakers
Energy center
Axiom Q8 rears
3 10" energy powered subs
Hitachi TX-100 720P LCD projector
Da-Lite 110" HCCV screen

Master bedroom system :

Denon 1804 6.1 receiver
Energy pro monitors
Energy center
Energy rears
32 Mits TV
Rogers cable PVR
BEV 4700 SAT STB

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
M&K S150THX L/C/R
M&K S85 SL/SR/SBL/SBR
Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Only panels sound right to me. ES or some type of Magneplaner Eminent Technology type. Oops, I forgot to mention ribbons. :cool:

wilmeland

wilmeland

Audioholic Intern
monitor audio / boston / velodyne

Currently in the video set up I've got Monitor Bronze b-2s on small stands for right/left & bronze center on small stand right below the TV screen. A pair of older Boston bookshelfs used for surround. The TV & front speakers are in right front corner of the room, the surrounds are diagonally in rear corner opposite the TV on a tall cabinet, with their backs almost facing each other, directing the speakers toward walls, producing mostly reflected sound off the walls to listening area. The Velodyne sub placed in front left corner of room. May sound like strange placement, but actually worked best given that the wall to the right of TV has a 14 ft opening to the next room starting just a couple feet beyond where the right speaker is.
Originally had the Monitor Silver 6s in front right left, but they were too tall for good placement with the Toshiba projection TV, so they went to the other room for music listening. For video, the MA Bronze work fine with the reinforcement from sub. For music, the Silver 6s are noticeably more detailed.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Polk

You can see my setup in my signature. I'm reasonably happy with speakers for now...but I know the upgrade bug will bite eventually. I bought Polk because they were the best sounding speakers I heard in my price range. I looked to upgrade about 4 months ago when I had $1500 to play with and I could find nothing that I could get that sounded better for that amount more money. What I do like is the Fabers Grand Pianos and the B&W 803's...both
significantly more money.

Never heard Axioms but I've heard they are excellent. I see they are leading the poll so I'm curious to hear them...but there are no dealers in this area.

Cheers,

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I have a JBL Studio Series 7.1 surround system, headed by the S312's, but use my 20 year old J350's for the surrounds. I live in the boonies and can't easily get to a shop to compare any of the 'audiophile' recommended boxes. Thus, the internet purchased JBL's (to which I was familiar from years past).

The Studio Series is quite acceptable, by the way....good specs and a nice flat response. The problem is, in my old/hearing-losing age, I think I want a 'brighter' speaker next time. (Any recommendations?)

Oh, and incidentally, I sold my JBL 400W-rms S120PII sub and LOVE my little Hsu STF-1!! It outperforms the JBL. How can that be?! I have a HUGE listening room, and this little dude rattles everything! (But I still have to upgrade to that SVS tube!)

Good cheer all.

RJ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis