What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For a long time DSOTM was selling for around $20 new (think I paid like $18), but as inventory declines the price goes up. There are a lot of popular SACDs that are out of print and those prices can get pretty high. I had mentioned the DVD-A of Porcupine Tree's In Absentia? Those are going for nearly $100 now because it is OOP.
I have several blu-rays/dvds of Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson but not In Absentia, considered the sacd before, while I love the album, not willing to spend that much.

mannye

mannye

Audioholic Intern
SACD and DVDA remain prohibitively priced. I guess it's the niche/obsolete situation?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
SACD and DVDA remain prohibitively priced. I guess it's the niche/obsolete situation?
It started as a niche and remains so today. Disc prices are going up for the most sought after discs because fewer and fewer are coming out.

mannye

mannye

Audioholic Intern
Meh. I'm happy scoring 50 cent CDs and 10 cent cassettes for now until they both get popular again. Cool thing is that when thrifting I will occasionally come across either a DVDA or an SACD and most thrifts just see a CD... so $1 max. They are few and far between though. But that makes it fun.

For me to spend retail on one it would have to be something I am a huge fan of AND benefit from the format. I really doubt a Super Audio CD of "The Meatmen" or Sex Pistols for example, regardless of how much I enjoy the music would be better on SACD. But maybe Echo and the Bunnymen or Bowie would make me spring for one.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

Haven't actually transacted it yet, but I will be picking it up super cheap because the head gasket went. Full rebuild and then I can daily it and possibly turn a profit on it. Needs some TLC.
You could definitely sell it here in GA.

I've flipped a few houses but never a car.

2channel lover

It started as a niche and remains so today. Disc prices are going up for the most sought after discs because fewer and fewer are coming out.
I think there was hope that it would be a bigger niche, but imo when you consider the price of the playback devices comparatively, niche was all it was ever intended for...audiophiles.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think there was hope that it would be a bigger niche, but imo when you consider the price of the playback devices comparatively, niche was all it was ever intended for...audiophiles.
Original PS3 models also played SACD, that feature was removed on later revs.

Now, the disc spinner in the PS3 was fairly noisy, kind of defeated the point of ability to play SACDs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I paid $50 for one of my Sony S5100's....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I originally thought you'd just move the BS stands along with the speakers, but if the wifey is good with a few holes in the wall, all's well.
Don't have the floor space for the stands (high traffic area). That would be awesome though. My current surround speakers are mounted on the wall right now. Deftech Promonitor 1000's.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't have the floor space for the stands (high traffic area). That would be awesome though. My current surround speakers are mounted on the wall right now. Deftech Promonitor 1000's.
Also nicer I think to have the surrounds higher up than stands would allow.

2channel lover

These get a pretty serious premium here too. Car is worth 3X what I am picking it up for already.
That's a sweet deal.

You won't have much problem turning that one over....that's the problem with houses sometimes I hold it for 3 or 4 mos.

2channel lover

Also nicer I think to have the surrounds higher up than stands would allow.
Yep, I've yet to play my RB5i as rears yet, but I suspect I will need to build some plinths for the stands to sit on.

Gryph

Gryph

Audioholic
So what's the plan for the DP-1000's? Sides? Then pick up another Ultra center channel for the rear? Better wait a while on that, or let your wife get it for your birthday ;)

mannye

mannye

Audioholic Intern

My latest purchase is that sweet Yamaha CR-2020. It actually came in the mail in one piece!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis