What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My stands are a tad too low for the surrounds...probably will end up building some plinths to raise them up.

Good deal on the Wharfedales...as much as I get a rise out these new toys, I'm ready to get back into enjoying the music...I've played a few CDs via the Oppo 205 and I like the results, I'm looking to buy a few SACDs and maybe a bluray movie today.

I need to get an early start in that attic tomorrow to finish the wiring for the surrounds.
Yeah I wanted the Oppo 203, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I have the new Sony 4K BR player and it is good. Not Oppo good, but it will due. Like you, I want to get my Dentons up and running so I can get back to listening to my music. It won't be soon enough. Have another busy weekend coming. Not sure how much will get done given I do not move too fast anymore. Congrats on the 205! Good luck in the attic. Watch out for the Brown Recluse/Black Widow as they are dangerous.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah I wanted the Oppo 203, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I have the new Sony 4K BR player and it is good. Not Oppo good, but it will due. Like you, I want to get my Dentons up and running so I can get back to listening to my music. It won't be soon enough. Have another busy weekend coming. Not sure how much will get done given i do not move too fast anymore. Congrats on the 205! Good luck in the attic. Watch out for the Brown Recluse/Black Widow as they are dangerous.

Cheers,

Phil
Heck, I dunno where @2channel lover is located, but if he is in the south, then the heat in the attic is just as dangerous this time of year!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah I wanted the Oppo 203, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I have the new Sony 4K BR player and it is good. Not Oppo good, but it will due. Like you, I want to get my Dentons up and running so I can get back to listening to my music. It won't be soon enough. Have another busy weekend coming. Not sure how much will get done given i do not move too fast anymore. Congrats on the 205! Good luck in the attic. Watch out for the Brown Recluse/Black Widow as they are dangerous.

Cheers,

Phil
205...I had a DVD, but I've never owned a BD player of any kind. I don't think the Sony or Pana plays SACDs and I wanted to dabble in hi res discs. I labored on that decision (203 or 205) maybe more than any. The Oppo guru over at AVS is noted to say the audio is pretty good from both units. If you have the equipment (namely speakers) around it the 205 rises above...we shall see. A change in rack purchases freed up the difference in the price so I went with the 205....really glad I found the Sanus racks...if I had bought the Salamander rack and then saw the Sanus after I would been sick...saved over $600.

Attic...I will!...the insulation is itchy on contact so I have to go with complete skin coverage...fortunately I got most of the hard part done last week...getting the wires down the wall...now just need to connect the speakers and make the wires in the attic look like somebody knew what they were doing...i.e. tidy up make it look neat.

2channel lover

Heck, I dunno where @2channel lover is located, but if he is in the south, then the heat in the attic is just as dangerous this time of year!
ATL and yes...whatever is completed by say 11am is what will get completed that day...I don't want to wake up the wife with the banging so that pushes my start time back, but I plan on getting started by 8.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well I did it -- the Integra prices at AC4L are really nice -- so I picked up the 50.2 -- and with the 20% off and $8.99 shipping it came to $248 -- placed the order at 12:59 and got a shipped message at 1:26 -- they are quick/fast -- if it all works out, I will be selling my Yamaha 581 which I recently bought.
The receiver is here and is hooked up and it is big -- it is really nice and I like it better than my former Tascam/Integra 30.4 receiver. I returned the Yamaha 581 to Best Buy 2 days ago as it was the last day that I could return it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My stands are a tad too low for the surrounds...probably will end up building some plinths to raise them up.

Good deal on the Wharfedales...as much as I get a rise out these new toys, I'm ready to get back into enjoying the music...I've played a few CDs via the Oppo 205 and I like the results, I'm looking to buy a few SACDs and maybe a bluray movie today.

I need to get an early start in that attic tomorrow to finish the wiring for the surrounds.

DSOTM and Brothers In Arms! :) Both great SACDs and not super pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-30th-Anniversary/dp/B00008CLOA/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497633555&sr=8-1&keywords=dark+side+of+the+moon+sacd

https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Were-Here-Pink-Floyd/dp/B0065MJ7RO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497633589&sr=8-1&keywords=wish+you+were+here+sacd

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009A21R6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Out-Dave-Brubeck/dp/B00ZWN148W/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497633752&sr=8-1&keywords=dave+brubeck+time+out+sacd

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Wonder how that unit would compare to Onkyos flagship? or Marantz flagship? or Yamahas flagship? between the three the specs are very close. Outside of features and soundfield processing, Mid level units are a great value paying.
It is really nice -- and better than the mid-levels that I have owned.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
205...I had a DVD, but I've never owned a BD player of any kind. I don't think the Sony or Pana plays SACDs and I wanted to dabble in hi res discs. I labored on that decision (203 or 205) maybe more than any. The Oppo guru over at AVS is noted to say the audio is pretty good from both units. If you have the equipment (namely speakers) around it the 205 rises above...we shall see. A change in rack purchases freed up the difference in the price so I went with the 205....really glad I found the Sanus racks...if I had bought the Salamander rack and then saw the Sanus after I would been sick...saved over $600.

Attic...I will!...the insulation is itchy on contact so I have to go with complete skin coverage...fortunately I got most of the hard part done last week...getting the wires down the wall...now just need to connect the speakers and make the wires in the attic look like somebody knew what they were doing...i.e. tidy up make it look neat.
My Sony 4K BR player will play SACD's. Have never owned any. Might just check them out soon enough. Not sure how much better they will sound, but it is worth a stab anyways. As slip mentioned above be sure to watch out for the heat. Best of luck while in the attic!

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My Sony 4K BR player will play SACD's. Have never owned any. Might just check them out soon enough. Not sure how much better they will sound, but it is worth a stab anyways. As slip mentioned above be sure to watch out for the heat. Best of luck while in the attic!

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks...I'll look into these I have something from all of them on Itunes. I have D S of the Moon on redbook so that will be a good one to compare...and I've always wanted Wish You Were Here.
Brothers In Arms is a no brainer at that price. It is one of the best sounding SACDs I've heard. It is a GOOD example of what SACD is capable of. Unfortunately, not all are that good. DSOTM and WYWH are both are very well done. Brubek Time Out is 2ch only I believe, and it sounds great.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Brothers In Arms is a no brainer at that price. It is one of the best sounding SACDs I've heard. It is a GOOD example of what SACD is capable of. Unfortunately, not all are that good. DSOTM and WYWH are both are very well done. Brubek Time Out is 2ch only I believe, and it sounds great.
Thanks John I may look into the DSOTM sacd. Perhaps, that would be a good start for me. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

2channel lover

Cheers,

Phil
Sony...interesting, you have one I have not heard about I guess. You probably mentioned the model and I didn't take note...I know the Pana I was looking at didn't.

SACDs...I'm exploring. Some guys swear by them and rarely by anything but hi res music, others think the improvement is minimal...I've heard SACDs but never an A/B comparison...the one thing most seem to agree on is the better your system (namely speakers) is the more detail is revealed. I tend to believe that because my co-worker that has come over and heard my B&Ws is amazed at the detail and that was just a regular CD that he also owned. When I was demoing the 803s recently the nuances of the music was more enhanced.

I'm not expecting to be blown away, but better, yes....we shall see. I would think the multi-channel ones might offer more wow factor.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sony...interesting, you have one I have not heard about I guess. You probably mentioned the model and I didn't take note...I know the Pana I was looking at didn't.

SACDs...I'm exploring. Some guys swear by them and rarely by anything but hi res music, others think the improvement is minimal...I've heard SACDs but never an A/B comparison...the one thing most seem to agree on is the better your system (namely speakers) is the more detail is revealed. I tend to believe that because my co-worker that has come over and heard my B&Ws is amazed at the detail and that was just a regular CD that he also owned. When I was demoing the 803s recently the nuances of the music was more enhanced.

I'm not expecting to be blown away, but better, yes....we shall see. I would think the multi-channel ones might offer more wow factor.
I have never heard a SACD. So, it is going to be interesting to see how much, if any, improvement there will be over cd's. Still getting everything setup though. It may be a bit, but do plan to do just that. Have a busy weekend ahead so not very much is going to get done. Have wires running everywhere.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

2channel lover

I have never heard a SACD. So, it is going to be interesting to see how much, if any, improvement there will be over cd's. Still getting everything setup though. It may be a bit, but do plan to do just that. Have a busy weekend ahead so not very much is going to get done. Have wires running everywhere.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
On the research I've been doing...not every SACD is an upgrade over a 16/44 CD so it does pay to look at reviews and j_garcia is confirming that. There are quite a few good sites with reviews.

Be deligent but take your time is my motto on projects like this...I used to be such in a hurry to finish and make mistakes and end up doing stuff twice sometimes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

It still all depends on how it got onto the disc in terms of mixing/mastering. I use Sony S5100s that can play SACDs fwiw. I only have the Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD and do like their multi-ch presentation but really have nothing to compare it to; the 2ch sounds same as my cd.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It still all depends on how it got onto the disc in terms of mixing/mastering. I use Sony S5100s that can play SACDs fwiw. I only have the Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD and do like their multi-ch presentation but really have nothing to compare it to; the 2ch sounds same as my cd.
Thanks Chris. I do not listen in multi-channel. Only 2 Channel when it comes to music. Was not aware that some SACD's came in 2 Channel only. Always thought all were multi-channel. Oh well we all live and learn.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Chris. I do not listen in multi-channel. Only 2 Channel when it comes to music. Was not aware that some SACD'd came in 2 Channel only. Always thought all were multi-channel. Oh well we all live and learn.

Cheers,

Phil
They're often hybrids with both 2 and multi-ch, some players can handle both, some just the 2ch. You have gone to the dark side, eh? :) Only reason I'd be interested in SACD is for multi-ch soundtracks, 2ch I already have.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
They're often hybrids with both 2 and multi-ch, some players can handle both, some just the 2ch. You have gone to the dark side, eh? :) Only reason I'd be interested in SACD is for multi-ch soundtracks, 2ch I already have.
I guess I need to read up on some reviews for 2 Channel SACD's before just rushing out to buy some. Will start very slowly. Appreciate the info. Thanks to both you and 2Channel lover!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
On the research I've been doing...not every SACD is an upgrade over a 16/44 CD so it does pay to look at reviews and j_garcia is confirming that. There are quite a few good sites with reviews.

Be deligent but take your time is my motto on projects like this...I used to be such in a hurry to finish and make mistakes and end up doing stuff twice sometimes.
I will look into some reviews before buying any SACD's. But, I am much more interested in the 2 Channel SACD reviews. Will NEVER use them in multi-channel. If reviews are good for 2 Channel, then I may try it out. If they really do sound that much better, then I will start a new collection. Bet the SACD's are also more expensive than regular cd's, no? Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

T

Tankman

Audioholic
:D...guess I just don't fit in with the " "Circle Jerks".;)
@afterlife2, Don't I understand the rating? After all this thread is about what you have brought new if you care to share. I see other's on this thread are posting about ways to make money by spending money amongst other things voted in this thread that go off topic. But it seems to be true with this " Forum" like so many other forums out on the internet. My post about the brand new shiny beers of Miller Lite, May not be as anesthetic looking as some of those "Homey" made brews, or some of them nasty tasting overseas brews that taste like Blue piss or like one other long-time member in here posted and I quote,: That's not beer that's piss or more to the point "Used Piss" and not my words go look up "loveinthehd" Post on a Thread I posted in. So again Yep wasn't trying to be a smartass on your Thread but if you feel my post is inappropriate pertaining to this thread than by all means have a "Mod" take a look at it. But also with all my other post and Threads also, to be fair make sure he the Mod takes a look at some of the other post and Threads on here I have seen out right gear bashing to the point of slander on one's choice of gear or of the maker of the gear. I didn't join audioholic's to get in to a circle jerk, But I do draw a line when it comes to knowledge of gear and how or who chooses to enjoy this Hobby of HiFi, Audioholics website is probably the best at debunking myths about audio or video and snake oil salesman but mostly audio.

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis