THE 80s MUSIC THREAD

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
The 80s were both horrible and wonderful. I'll mention some albums that aren't mentioned much, but are classics (and depending on your range of tastes) not to be missed:

The Feelies * Crazy Rhythms (Stiff/Line/A&M) 80
Joy Division * Closer (Factory) 80
The Jam * Sound Affects (Polydor) 80
X * Los Angeles (Slash) 80
Comsat Angels * Sleep No More (Polydor/Renascent) 81
Martha and the Muffins * This Is The Ice Age (Dindisc/Virgin) 81
The Sound * From The Lions Mouth (Korova/Renascent) 81
Japan * Tin Drum (Virgin) 81
This Heat * Deceit (Rough Trade) 81
Mission Of Burma * VS. (Ace Of Hearts) 82
Orange Juice * You Can't Hide Your Love Forever (Polydor) 82
Dome * Will You Speak This Word (Dome/Grey Area) 82
Dream Syndicate * Days of Wine and Roses (Big Time) 82
The Blue Nile * A Walk Across The Rooftops (Linn/Virgin) 84
King Sunny Ade * Aura (Mango) 84
Hüsker Dü * Zen Arcade (SST) 84
The Minutemen * Double Nickels on the Dime (SST) 84
Tom Waits * Rain Dogs (Island) 85
The Fall * This Nation's Saving Grace (Beggars Banquet) 85
The Pogues * Rum Sodomy & The Lash (WEA) 85
The Jesus & Mary Chain * Psychocandy (WB) 85
Meat Puppets * Up On The Sun (SST) 85
The Woodentops * Giant (Rough Trade/Columbia) 86
Screaming Blue Messiahs * Gun Shy (Elektra) 86
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds * Your Funeral . . . My Trial (Homestead) 86
Slayer * Reign In Blood (American) 86
Dinosaur Jr. * You're Living All Over Me (SST) 87
Sonic Youth * Sister (SST) 87
Talk Talk * Spirit Of Eden (EMI) 88
My Bloody Valentine * Isn't Anything (Creation) 88
The Pixies * Surfer Rosa (4AD) 88
Sonic Youth * Daydream Nation (Enigma) 88

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard of far more of those than I have actually heard. I did recently pick up the new remasters of Daydream Nation and Psychocandy, though, and both are great.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Glad to see people checkin some of that stuff out. They're some of my all-time favorites.

Check out Blue Nile -- Linn I believe funded the album to be used as a reference disc, and in turn was released on their label.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to see people checkin some of that stuff out. They're some of my all-time favorites.

Check out Blue Nile -- Linn I believe funded the album to be used as a reference disc, and in turn was released on their label.
Others on your list that I am sufficiently interested in to buy soon include Joy Division, Dinosaur Junior, and Talk Talk.
Some '80s titles that I have really enjoyed listening to lately include Skylarking by XTC, So by Peter Gabriel, Hounds of Love by Kate Bush, and Big Science by Laurie Anderson.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Speaking of Joy Division, how do you guys like the last couple of CDs put out by New Order? I haven't been to impressed with their work as of late. Its like they've lost direction.

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
Even though I'm not that old, I did get the chance to appreciate a lot of the 70's music, so the other day I was checking some of the groups of that era, and I came by a couple of them that really liked and brought back some memories of very happy times while I was on 11-12 years old, so I went ahead and bought Heatwave's greatest hits, can't get enough of "Groove Line" and "Boogie Nights". Next on my list are SOS Band, Stylistics, and Dazz Band. One of my favorite groups is Kool and The Gang...love their song "Get down on it", "Too Hot" but the ones I like most are "Summer Madness" and "Winter Sadness"

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My favorite Kool & The Gang song is 'Misled'.

There is a line near the end that absolutely nobody understands and every single lyrics site I've visited has something ridiculous for it like: 'With a bomb of broken venus'. Now songs sometimes don't make perfect sense but that is just way out there. If you slow it down in an audio editor you can hear it clearly and it makes perfect sense. What I thought it was when I was a kid is wrong but is at least close.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
My favorite Kool & The Gang song is 'Misled'.

There is a line near the end that absolutely nobody understands and every single lyrics site I've visited has something ridiculous for it like: 'With a bomb of broken venus'. Now songs sometimes don't make perfect sense but that is just way out there. If you slow it down in an audio editor you can hear it clearly and it makes perfect sense. What I thought it was when I was a kid is wrong but is at least close.
So what does it say? Please don't leave us hanging here.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Misled

Misled, heard you call my name
Misled, what's your claim to fame?
Misled, took me by the hand
Misled, said I would understand
Misled, boulevard of broken dreams
Misled, neither heard or seen
Misled, baby that's your name

Misled, what's your claim to fame?
My heart, my soul, my love...is that the goal?

I used to think it was 'built a bomb of broken dreams' which at least makes some sense in the context of the other lyrics.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
My favorite Kool & The Gang song is 'Misled'.QUOTE]

I agree with you. I also liked "Jungle Boogie" pretty well. "Celebration" was good, too, I liked several of the old R&B groops. EWF, Ohio Players and Sly and the Family Stone come to mind.

W

whitestone

Audioholic Intern
Anybody for Pat Benatar. Her guitarist/ husband was acually a good player. And her well she was just...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Anybody for Pat Benatar. Her guitarist/ husband was acually a good player. And her well she was just...
Sure. At the moment I only have one of her greatest hits discs and need to get some of her individual albums because there are quite a few songs I like that I don't currently have - like Precious Time for example.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with you. I also liked "Jungle Boogie" pretty well. "Celebration" was good, too, I liked several of the old R&B groops. EWF, Ohio Players and Sly and the Family Stone come to mind.
I've got more Earth, Wind and Fire than any other single artist or group. Not much interest since Electric Universe, though.

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
I was going through my CD inventory and came across a couple of good ones I have completely forgot: Johny Hates Jazz and Curiosity Killed the Cat. Any of you remember them?????....."I don't want to be a hero" and "Misfit" were their biggest hits. And since I was (still am) a lot into mellow music, how could anybody forget Breathe and their hit "Hands to Heaven"; and last but not least, Deon Estus and his one-hit-wonder "Heaven Help Me"

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I was going through my CD inventory and came across a couple of good ones I have completely forgot: Johny Hates Jazz and Curiosity Killed the Cat. Any of you remember them?????....."I don't want to be a hero" and "Misfit" were their biggest hits.
I would think Shattered Dreams was Johnny Hates Jazz's biggest hit.

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
You're absolutely right!!!! "Shattered Dreams" was their biggest hit.:eek:

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Here's a couple new proggy albums. I haven't decided how much I like the actual songs, but they sound pretty great.

Porcupine Tree, Fear of a Blank Planet
Oceansize, Frames

Have recently gained greater appreciate for Bows, Cassidy (2001). Luke Sutherland's post-Long Fin Killie project. Avoiding trip hop cliches, it's pretty lush stuff.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'm big on 80s metal.

Iron Maiden, Dio, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Queensryche, Savatage, Judas Priest, King Diamond, Guns N Roses.. even some hair metal like Poison, Skid Row, AC/DC, Kiss (if you can call them that), Motley Crue, Bon Jovi...

Plus some other stuff... Dire Straits was awesome.. Heart... some Springsteen... Van Halen... Tom Waits..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis