THE 80s MUSIC THREAD

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
That was supposed to go in the What are you listening to now thread, and it wouldn't let me delete for some reason, grr.

Here's some great 80s reissues that came out this past year:

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth & Collected Works (Rough Trade/Domino) 80
Joy Division - Closer (Factory/WEA) 80
Pylon - Gyrate + (DB/DFA) 80
The Bongos - Drums Along The Hudson (PVC/Cooking Vinyl) 82
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation: Deluxe Edition (Blast First/DGC) 88
Magazine - The Correct Use Of Soap (Virgin/EMI) 80
The Woodentops - BBC Sessions 1985-89 (Renascent)
Prefab Sprout * Steve McQueen: Deluxe Edition (Kitchenware/Sony Legacy) 85
The Fire Engines * Hungry Beat (Codex/Acute) 81
The Pretenders * Learning To Crawl (Sire/Rhino) 84
Holger Czukay * Movies (EMI/Revisited) 80
John Foxx * Metamatic: Deluxe Edition (Virgin/Edsel) 80
Howard Devoto * Jerky Versions of the Dream (Virgin/EMI) 83
Diagram Brothers * Some Marvels Of Modern Science (New Hormones/LTM) 81
U2 * The Joshua Tree (Island) 87
Robyn Hitchcock * I Often Dream Of Trains (Midnight/Yep Roc) 84
Various * Fruit of the Original Sin (LTM) 81
Barbara Manning * Lately I Keep Scissors [Super Scissors] (Heyday/Rainfall) 87
The Comsat Angels * To Before 1978-83 (Renascent)
Joy Division * Still (Factory/WEA) 81
Andy Summers & Robert Fripp * I Advance Masked (A&M) 82
Genesis * Abacab (Atlantic/Rhino) 81
Robyn Hitchcock * Black Snake Diamond Role (Armageddon/Yep Roc) 81
The Pretenders * Get Close (Sire/Rhino) 86
Genesis * Duke (Atlantic/Rhino) 80

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Joy Division and New Order are definitely favs for me. I like 'em both.

I think I give the nod to New Order. Yeah, when I was a kid I would have said JD hands down because I was a bit pretentous back then. NO is the better group.

Sorry Ian.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Joy Division and New Order are definitely favs for me. I like 'em both.

I think I give the nod to New Order. Yeah, when I was a kid I would have said JD hands down because I was a bit pretentous back then. NO is the better group.

Sorry Ian.
One of my all time favorite groups, N.O.

S

seansdadj

Audiophyte
I was a kid, but I can recall ...

The music was not just computerized instruments and samplers. Though face was important, but they actually had to sound good.

Sean

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Here's a guy that I totally forgot:eek:: Donny Iris: "Love is like a rock" and "Ah! Leah!"

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Remember this one: Jon Astley: "Jane's Getting Serious" with guest Eric Clapton on guitar.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Remember this one: Jon Astley: "Jane's Getting Serious" with guest Eric Clapton on guitar.
Not sure about Jon Astley but I've heard Rick Astley. He is more of a dance music type of guy though. As far as Donnie Iris, I have Love Is a Like a Rock but still need to get Ah! Leah!. I'm sure I'll find his greatest hits in the bargain bin for $5 someday and will get it.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure about Jon Astley but I've heard Rick Astley. He is more of a dance music type of guy though. As far as Donnie Iris, I have Love Is a Like a Rock but still need to get Ah! Leah!. I'm sure I'll find his greatest hits in the bargain bin for $5 someday and will get it.
Rick Astley was a flash in the pan, great voice though. Problem was that all his music sounded the same. Jon Astley on the other hand is known for being a producer more than a performer, working with Eric Clapton, Tory Amos, Cory Hart and The Who. I think he was related by marriage to Pete Townshend. His only song to ever break in to the top 100 was "Jane's Getting Serious" which featured Clapton on guitar. The video was about a Tarzan or George of The Jungle type and his relationship to Jane, anyway there was this monkey in the story and Clapton playing his silver/grey Strat in the solo, that's all I remember.

G

genesis471

Audioholic
The 80s were also a pretty good time for excellent sounding recordings (1994-1995 is about the time everything started to sound like ***).

Phil Collins - Face Time

Decided to pull that one out, haven't listened to its entirety in years. Funny though, my copy says Face Value!

I really liked the 80's in the 80's... but not so much at all these days. Got to stick to classic rock!

Mike

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
One of my favorite songs from the '80s was "Satellite" bythe Hooters. I never considered looking into a CD at the time.
By chance a took my son to the library this weekend. Browsing thru the library's eclectic at best selection of CDs I stumbled across the Hooter's "One Way Out" release. 1987 I believe. I'll be looking to buy one of these if I can find it. Very good SQ. Pretty unique music.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
B-52s
Big Audio Dynamite
Boomtown Rats
Bronski Beat
The Clash
The Cure
Crowded House
Duran Duran
Depeche Mode
Echo and the Bunnymen
English Beat
Erasure
Gene Loves Jezebel
Godley and Creme
Jimmy Somerville
Morrissey
New Order
Orchestral Manoeuvres In Dark
Psychedelic Furs
The Plimsouls
The Ramones
Shannon
Siouxsie And The Banshees
Simple Minds
The Smiths
Talking Heads
Tears For Fears
Tom Tom Club
U2
Visage
Yaz
Out of that group, I liked
B-52s
Boomtown Rats
The Clash
Crowded House
Duran Duran
Depeche Mode
New Order
Orchestral Manoeuvres In Dark
Psychedelic Furs
Simple Minds
The Smiths
Talking Heads
Tears For Fears
U2 The Joshua Tree was by far their best album IMO. Everything after that paled in compariosn.

Other groups I didn't see mention were

Annie Lennox
Gary Numan
Men Without Hats
Men At Work
The Cars
The Cult
The Fixx
The Tenants

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
On Friday, I saw Iron Maiden in New Jersey.

They played a set of exclusively 80s music during a tour that is basically a recreation of their legendary '84-85 World Slavery Tour.

It was phenomenal.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Most of the 80s music that is typically defined by that term I find painful, but I've become a bit more accepting of it over time. Some of my 80's listening staples were:

AC/DC
Aerosmith
B-52's
Pat Benatar
Jackson Browne
Kate Bush
The Cars
The Clash
Elvis Costello
Def Leppard
Dire Straits
English Beat
Peter Gabriel
J. Geils Band
Genesis
Don Henley
Billy Idol
INXS
Joe Jackson
Ozzy Osbourne
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
The Pretenders
Steely Dan
Pete Townshend
Talking Heads
Triumph
Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughan

I have a sizable collection of 80s one hit wonders as well that you'll typically hear on the 'Back to the 80's' hour stations play or you'll see on VH-1, but they're mostly for my wife. She can't seem let let go of that era of music... :D -TD

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if people will look back with nostalgia at post-80's pop music? I won't. I tried (as an experiment) to listen to two of our local top 100 stations, I lasted 20 minutes top, I just can't get into the material. And please don't say it has always been so, that the preeceding generation doesn't like what the kids listen to. I remember my parents liking the same music I did as a kid and a teenager.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis