Subwoofer Questions for my HT

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess what I was hoping for was bass management that could be done outside the AVR, since the DDRC-24 does have it I assumed that I could use DIRAC to manage the subs?
Are you going to employ external amps for your speakers? This would be for 2.1 use?

Bass management is the crossover between your speakers and the sub, different from using such a unit for bass integration vs the room correction afforded by Dirac for the speakers altogether. I was looking at the gear in your sig and just see an avr so not seeing how you'd implement an external unit for bass management....but I'm only on my first cup o'coffee.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Are you going to employ external amps for your speakers? This would be for 2.1 use?

Bass management is the crossover between your speakers and the sub, different from using such a unit for bass integration vs the room correction afforded by Dirac for the speakers altogether. I was looking at the gear in your sig and just see an avr so not seeing how you'd implement an external unit for bass management....but I'm only on my first cup o'coffee.
The thought was use an external device to manage the subs in the HT and I guess I thought the DDRC-24 with DIRAC would handle this, I may need more coffee as I'm probably explaining it wrong.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The thought was use an external device to manage the subs in the HT and I guess I thought the DDRC-24 with DIRAC would handle this, I may need more coffee as I'm probably explaining it wrong.
Now it seems you're talking more about a unit to simply help integrate/eq the subs outside the tools in your avr, rather than bass management (the crossover).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just a little different :) Especially with your 9.2.2 setup since I don't think miniDSP has a Dirac-enabled unit that can handle more than 8ch.

Are you still planning on using Audyssey? Not sure what Dirac brings to the table for subs only....the miniDSP 2x4HD may be sufficient.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Just a little different :) Especially with your 9.2.2 setup since I don't think miniDSP has a Dirac-enabled unit that can handle more than 8ch.

Are you still planning on using Audyssey? Not sure what Dirac brings to the table for subs only....the miniDSP 2x4HD may be sufficient.
That's what I'm hoping, just to handle the subs, am I going that far out of the norm? I have the mic coming this week and I'll run REW and see what a mockery my subs are configured at while MultiEQ is on. I know there is something frigged up, this will hopefully show it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I'm hoping, just to handle the subs, am I going that far out of the norm? I have the mic coming this week and I'll run REW and see what a mockery my subs are configured at while MultiEQ is on. I know there is something frigged up, this will hopefully show it.
Seeing what is going on is always helpful altho usually Audyssey XT32, especially with the dual sub feature of SubEQ, does a decent job with subs....assume you've maximized sub positions first?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Seeing what is going on is always helpful altho usually Audyssey XT32, especially with the dual sub feature of SubEQ, does a decent job with subs....assume you've maximized sub positions first?
As far as I could yes, but in reference mode it sounds negative but with MultiEQ off, it sounds good. I'll run REW when the mic comes in and see how it goes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as I could yes, but in reference mode it sounds negative but with MultiEQ off, it sounds good. I'll run REW when the mic comes in and see how it goes.
Not familiar with your terminology....what is a negative sound? What is good?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Assume you've tried all combos of phase switch flipping (or do you have more control than that?)....
I have tried changing phase and distance but with MultiEQ mode on, they shake the room but you feel it while it sounds out of phase, very freaky effect. Turn MultiEQ off and bammo, everything sounds great, well, great is relative, I know it could sound better so hopefully REW will help me sort things out.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, REW will show you what's going on for sure. It's nice to actually see what each adjustment is doing. There are proponents of tuning by ear, but my OCD won't allow not seeing what I'm hearing. The ear is not as trustworthy from a point of consistency. I enjoy knowing when I hear an anomaly, it's in my head. Lol
I think the minidsp is going to be a great tool for you.

Cheers
MP II

Last edited:
Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, REW will show you what's going on for sure. It's nice to actually see what each adjustment is doing. There are proponents of tuning by ear, but my OCD won't allow not seeing what I'm hearing. The ear is not as trustworthy from a point of consistency. I enjoy knowing when I hear an anomaly, it's in my head. Lol
I think the minidsp is going to be a great tool for you.

Cheers
MP II
Oh I'm going to have questions up the wazooo but I too am OCD, which drives the wife crazy but she knows once I nail this down we can just settle down and watch movies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have tried changing phase and distance but with MultiEQ mode on, they shake the room but you feel it while it sounds out of phase, very freaky effect. Turn MultiEQ off and bammo, everything sounds great, well, great is relative, I know it could sound better so hopefully REW will help me sort things out.
Maybe a rehash, but when running Audyssey did you use all mic positions and in a relatively small area around your primary listening position, primary being the first position?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
So many audiophiles have OCD...
Before I got married my house could have been a museum it was that clean and organized. I got married and my OCD has been slaughtered.....

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Maybe a rehash, but when running Audyssey did you use all mic positions and in a relatively small area around your primary listening position, primary being the first position?
Because of where we have to place the recliners, basically only about 6 inches from the rear wall I don't run the mic behind the couch, just the first 6 positions which is basically the 2 listening positions. Primary is the first one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Before I got married my house could have been a museum it was that clean and organized. I got married and my OCD has been slaughtered.....
I definitely have symptoms of OCD, but it doesn't disrupt my life or others around me too much... I've had some therapy. I've always considered it an asset. I'm really good at organizing and maintaining it. I think that's why I've always gotten promoted at every job I've had. I can be very particular about things. To the point that I kind of start losing my mind, hence the therapy...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I definitely have symptoms of OCD, but it doesn't disrupt my life or others around me too much... I've had some therapy. I've always considered it an asset. I'm really good at organizing and maintaining it. I think that's why I've always gotten promoted at every job I've had. I can be very particular about things. To the point that I kind of start losing my mind, hence the therapy...
I totally get that, getting married helped force me to hold back at home, when my desk gets messy it can drive me crazy. Right now at home the wiring for the HT is a mess, which is driving me crazy... :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis