Subwoofer Questions for my HT

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I have two Seaton powered MFW15's in the HT right now. I'll be adding a third MFW tonight or tomorrow night depending on how my back is feeling.

I am going to try running Audyssey with the 3 subs hooked up, 2 fronts on one output (as people have recommended) and the rear one on the second output and I will calibrate them all together as Anthem prescribes instead of how Audyssey does via matching which has not had the desired result.

If it still doesn't sound the way I like then I'm looking to purchase the MiniDSP for the 3 subwoofers and have the subs obviously connect via that.

I figure I'll let Audyssey calibrate the rest of the speakers and Dirac can handle the subwoofers. At this point as some people in this forum know I have MultiEQ32 turned off and bass response is hugely improved. MiniDSP is a decent amount of money but honestly I want the system to sound its best and I'm sure with MultiEQ off as good as the system sounds it can sound much better.

Front.JPG

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I have two Seaton powered MFW15's in the HT right now. I'll be adding a third MFW tonight or tomorrow night depending on how my back is feeling.

I am going to try running Audyssey with the 3 subs hooked up, 2 fronts on one output (as people have recommended) and the rear one on the second output and I will calibrate them all together as Anthem prescribes instead of how Audyssey does via matching which has not had the desired result.

If it still doesn't sound the way I like then I'm looking to purchase the MiniDSP for the 3 subwoofers and have the subs obviously connect via that.

I figure I'll let Audyssey calibrate the rest of the speakers and Dirac can handle the subwoofers. At this point as some people in this forum know I have MultiEQ32 turned off and bass response is hugely improved. MiniDSP is a decent amount of money but honestly I want the system to sound its best and I'm sure with MultiEQ off as good as the system sounds it can sound much better.

View attachment 20566
You have a tolerant wife. What are your questions?

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
You have a tolerant wife. What are your questions?
It's much cleaner with the grills on. I'm wondering if using the MiniDSP just for the subs would yield a better bass response considering Audyssey calibration the entire room sounds like a big null except for at the MLP which even though has more bass still sounds negative until MultiEQ is turned off.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess I like my stuff eq'd. I'm pretty happy with Audyssey right now, and I even like the Dynamic eq on as well. To me, it just sounds fatter and brighter. A little bright doesn't bother me as I have significant hearing loss, so I think I perceive it as more detailed.

In fact, Klipsch might not be a bad choice for me in the future... :eek: I have to get out and demo some more of their stuff. The only thing I've heard are the basic Best Buy floor models. They're okay, but I know Klipsch has better to offer.

While I'm happy with Audyssey, I'm planning to get a MiniDSP and a mic to really dig in and get my system dialed in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which minidsp product are you thinking of? Using their 2x4 units for subs doesn't utilize Dirac.

Audyssey essentially uses level matching, you're thinking of gain matching instead? I'd still try letting SubEQ/XT32 work with the three subs (2 equidistant on one output, the other for the different distance) before your next step, it may resolve your issues.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I need to stop thinking about this stuff from work where I can't put a well thought out post together....

I suddenly have a lot going on and need to get caught up, I'll post more this weekend and will try to put the questions logically and coherently.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I guess I like my stuff eq'd. I'm pretty happy with Audyssey right now, and I even like the Dynamic eq on as well. To me, it just sounds fatter and brighter. A little bright doesn't bother me as I have significant hearing loss, so I think I perceive it as more detailed.

In fact, Klipsch might not be a bad choice for me in the future... :eek: I have to get out and demo some more of their stuff. The only thing I've heard are the basic Best Buy floor models. They're okay, but I know Klipsch has better to offer.

While I'm happy with Audyssey, I'm planning to get a MiniDSP and a mic to really dig in and get my system dialed in.
I need another weekend with the wife gone, the problem now is camping season is here and the wife and I have a 40ft Fifth Wheel we go up to every weekend and we volunteer on Saturdays so weekends are unavailable until October 15th when the season is over.

Campsite.jpg

As the system sits right now, it really does sound fantastic in movies, but I want it to sound better so I'll need my wife to be open to letting me do some of this after work during the week, which she is not open for typically and the reasons are typical as well, unhappy wife, unhappy life, do not disturb her catching up with her shows. o_O We'll see what she says when I can get that MFW beast up the stairs, I tried last night, it broke the two wheeler and my back was not going to be able to handle walking up those steps so it resides in the basement for now.

I like Klipsch subwoofers, I started with a KSW-15 which was a very good subwoofer and is in my best friends house now pounding away. My dream subwoofer would be anything from Mark Seaton, the new SVS SB16 Ultra, you know, 3 of them spread around the room but honestly 3 Klipsch RSW-15's would be awesome as well, even though they are old, they are incredible.

I wouldn't even mind 3 of the newer R-115SW but I do know that the Seaton powered MFW 15's out perform the Klipsch's so I am going to do what I can to get bass management set right. I may make a fool out of myself in the process because I post before thinking at lunch or during a free moment at work and then I read it later and I'm thinking WTF??

I need to slow down a bit. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a pretty sweet looking 5th wheel camper 'Head. I'd love one of those.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
That's a pretty sweet looking 5th wheel camper 'Head. I'd love one of those.
If you have never owned an RV let me enlighten you to RV life, watch the movie called "The Money Pit", while not as insane as the movie they are indeed money pits unless you don't maintain them, then they become money pits for the next owner. ;) Some people buy them, literally let them sit and then sell them and then next owner is stuck.

We bought this beast new in 2013, the counter cracked mid-season, the kitchen slide had a screw that was too long so when the slide opened it dragged along the floor, the main AC unit died right after the warranty expired, the fancy schmancy hydraulic landing jacks which it has 6 of, 2 started leaking right away, fighting with Keystone who has horrible cust service and never repaired right until we paid out of pocket to the tune of 3k before season 3, the fancy led's in the front cap always go bad in the off season, we are no longer going to replace them, we simply won't use them until I find a better quality set and I'll install them.

The tank valves went bad, the black tank leaked... well, as you can tell we have had issues and believe it or not the Montana is one of the better rigs out there. Sadly the RV industry is where the automotive industry was in the early 80's, 1 year warranties and RV's shipped with issues the dealer has to care for instead of making sure quality control finds the problems first.

We found our tank valves went bad because some moron left scraps of plastic, mdf etc in the holding tanks probably to meet his production quota. The end result is we will never buy a new RV again, instead we will go back to Class A's of the pusher variety which are much better built and last longer.

Anyway, I digress, this is the layout and hopefully this season we can simply use the rig instead of repairing it. :)

CamperInside.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, that sucks. I know what you mean about money pits. We had a much older motorhome that was a p.i.t.a. to deal with as far as upkeep and constant repairs. We took it to the sand dunes in California during riding season a half dozen times a year or so. I had quads and some of our group had sand rails. The beefy, long travel suspension type. It was a blast, but when gas prices hiked up to over $4/gal a while back I decided to get rid of the money pit(s) and find a new hobby. :p

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Wow, that sucks. I know what you mean about money pits. We had a much older motorhome that was a p.i.t.a. to deal with as far as upkeep and constant repairs. We took it to the sand dunes in California during riding season a half dozen times a year or so. I had quads and some of our group had sand rails. The beefy, long travel suspension type. It was a blast, but when gas prices hiked up to over $4/gal a while back I decided to get rid of the money pit(s) and find a new hobby. :p
We toughed it out during the 4 buck a gallon days but the wife wanted the 5th wheel so we sold the Class A for the Montana hoping for the best. It is what it is, we can't complain about the inside, it's nicer than most homes with all Cherry wood and it is beautiful.

Back to the topic, check out this article, I may get the MiniDSP with mic and use it and REW to get things sorted out.

"Bass Optimization"

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I just ordered the UMIK-1 from MiniDSP, when I receive it I'll get started on taking room measurements with MultiEQ on and off and progress from there some time next week.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@Pogre, I'm trying to quote you but stupid Tapatalk...
If you're talking about glamis, I'm really even more jealous of where you live. Always wanted to go. I have a Duncan/Paul turner 250r. Raced local MX, but not AMA. We're we separated at birth? Lmao!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Klipschhead, I feel your pain. We have a 27'TT. Haven't had any big hits yet, but the place we bought it from covered up a few older "issues". Nickels and dimes......

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Klipschhead, I feel your pain. We have a 27'TT. Haven't had any big hits yet, but the place we bought it from covered up a few older "issues". Nickels and dimes......
RV dealers are worse than corner used car lots, I have yet to find a decent one, they all cut corners and don't seem to care about long term customers, just moving rigs out the door. The RV industry took a huge hit the past decade, their response was to build them even cheaper than before, models like the Holiday Rambler Navigator used to be luxury models you knew were built well and lasted, now they've been reduced to lower end pretending to be high end...

If I buy another rig it's going to be a mid 2000's Navigator pusher...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
None of the MiniDSP models have bass management except the DDRC-24 which costs $450.00, the 2x4 balanced version Gene used for his system has no bass management either. Isn't the idea of using this putting it between the AVR and the subwoofer(s) to manage them?

I'm feeling pretty stupid asking and I'm hoping there is a simple answer aside from using REW which will only help me adjust the subwoofers themselves (placement etc) and the AVR settings. Is it he just used it to EQ the subs, I do see he has it installed in his system sooooo.

MiniDSP.JPG

For $450 wouldn't I want to use DIRAC Live and leave the DDRC-24 between the AVR and subs as he did only using DIRAC to modify their output?

EDITED: Because I can't spell.....

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre, I'm trying to quote you but stupid Tapatalk...
If you're talking about glamis, I'm really even more jealous of where you live. Always wanted to go. I have a Duncan/Paul turner 250r. Raced local MX, but not AMA. We're we separated at birth? Lmao!
Yup. Glamis and Buttercup were our favorite spots. I had a YFZ 450 quad with a racing pipe on it. Very fast up comp hill. I'm pretty light so I was hard to beat. I was taking piped Banshees (not the supercharged ones, those are insane) up the hill.

I've never raced or anything, but I've been on the local track out here. Did a lot of riding in the desert close to home. It was a lot of fun.

This was my rig for riding around here. We took the motorhome to the dunes.

FB_IMG_1492114957551.jpg

FB_IMG_1492114967059.jpg

This is at the dunes on my LTZ 400. Before the digital age for me. it's a scanned photo.

FB_IMG_1492114979605.jpg

Sorry for hijacking KH, but you seem pretty friendly! I'll stop. :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah me too. Forgot what thread I was even in! Oops. Good times pogre. Good times...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
None of the MiniDSP models have bass management except the DDRC-24 which costs $450.00, the 2x4 balanced version Gene used for his system has no bass management either. Isn't the idea of using this putting it between the AVR and the subwoofer(s) to manage them?

I'm feeling pretty stupid asking and I'm hoping there is a simple answer aside from using REW which will only help me adjust the subwoofers themselves (placement etc) and the AVR settings. Is it he just used it to EQ the subs, I do see he has it installed in his system sooooo.

View attachment 20584

For $450 wouldn't I want to use DIRAC Live and leave the DDRC-24 between the AVR and subs as he did only using DIRAC to modify their output?

EDITED: Because I can't spell.....

You're mixing up concepts/gear a bit. What are you defining as bass management?

REW can analyze your room and suggest an eq which you can implement thru a minidsp unit (2x4 or others) or even a Behringer iNuke dsp amp or other units.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
You're mixing up concepts/gear a bit. What are you defining as bass management?

REW can analyze your room and suggest an eq which you can implement thru a minidsp unit (2x4 or others) or even a Behringer iNuke dsp amp or other units.
I guess what I was hoping for was bass management that could be done outside the AVR, since the DDRC-24 does have it I assumed that I could use DIRAC to manage the subs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis