Subwoofer Questions for my HT

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Didn't know PSA sold those now, considered one of those a few years back but thot it was kinda pricey but supposedly does a decent job and is automatic. I think a minidsp/REW combo can be more flexible and useful, tho, especially for more than two subs, albeit more involved.
I just checked the tracking number for the mic, MiniDSP is shipping it from Hong Kong, nuts. So looks like some time next week, I had hoped to be using it already.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just checked the tracking number for the mic, MiniDSP is shipping it from Hong Kong, nuts. So looks like some time next week, I had hoped to be using it already.
All my minidsp stuff shipped from HK....that's where they are :)

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I got the mic, what I don't have is a cable to reach the AVR from the main listening position so I'm digging through bins of cables to see what I can find.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got the mic, what I don't have is a cable to reach the AVR from the main listening position so I'm digging through bins of cables to see what I can find.
? You need to position the computer/mic, not the avr/mic....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Doesn't the mic plug into your pc? You should be able to pretty much move them anywhere. I'd use a laptop.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, with a laptop you have the measurement mobility :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. But if it's like mine, the umik only came with about a 6' cable, then i need at least another 6' to get to my avr from the pc.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Doesn't the mic plug into your pc? You should be able to pretty much move them anywhere. I'd use a laptop.
The mic plugs into the PC, the sound card plugs into an input on the AVR, unless I'm miss-understanding the directions?

Quote - Connect an audio output from your computer to your sound system. With most computers, you can use the line out or headphone output with a suitable cable. It is advisable to connect into your system at the preamp inputs, so that the preamp volume control can be used to manage the signal level from the computer.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I couldn't find my adapter, so I ordered one, it will be here Wednesday.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was gonna ask if you could use hdmi...
Yes. I used to use mini to rca, but got more consistency with hdmi. Afaik, soundcards are pretty linear these days and using hdmi you don't need to do the loopback. I believe that was before hdmi was everywhere and stereo rca was the way to do it. I even used my RS spl meter as a mic with a cable I built. Accurate? Don't know but it was a start lol.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Yes. I used to use mini to rca, but got more consistency with hdmi. Afaik, soundcards are pretty linear these days and using hdmi you don't need to do the loopback. I believe that was before hdmi was everywhere and stereo rca was the way to do it. I even used my RS spl meter as a mic with a cable I built. Accurate? Don't know but it was a start lol.

Dagnabit.JPG

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Yes. But if it's like mine, the umik only came with about a 6' cable, then i need at least another 6' to get to my avr from the pc.
I need to explain further, I am using a laptop but I wanted to be a lazy ass and sit in the main listening position. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I need to explain further, I am using a laptop but I wanted to be a lazy ass and sit in the main listening position. :)
Lmao!
I hear that. I'm king lazy sometimes. The problem you might find is positioning the mic correctly with yourself in the seat. I only have just enough cable to go straight from the mic to pc avr. That means I'm lying on my bell to run it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis