Subwoofer Questions for my HT

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Lmao!
I hear that. I'm king lazy sometimes. The problem you might find is positioning the mic correctly with yourself in the seat. I only have just enough cable to go straight from the mic to pc avr. That means I'm lying on my bell to run it.
I'll be sitting in my wifes seat with the mic on a tri-pod in mine and I'll be hunkered down.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I am going to make an attempt at measurements tonight, this should make for an even more entertaining thread real soon. ;)

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Well, as is usual life is getting in the way of getting this done. Last night I wanted to try but the wife would have none of that so we watched the newest Underworld release and I was blown away by the surround track, very tight bass response, all speakers were being used without sounding over saturated, just awesome sound. The best surround experience I have ever had with my system.

The she wanted to watch Battleship and it sounded a bit weak until I tweaked things.... I had hoped it wouldn't need it but it did but it also sounded great finally.

I can't wait to take measurements to see how it really stacks up.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, as is usual life is getting in the way of getting this done. Last night I wanted to try but the wife would have none of that so we watched the newest Underworld release and I was blown away by the surround track, very tight bass response, all speakers were being used without sounding over saturated, just awesome sound. The best surround experience I have ever had with my system.

The she wanted to watch Battleship and it sounded a bit weak until I tweaked things.... I had hoped it wouldn't need it but it did but it also sounded great finally.

I can't wait to take measurements to see how it really stacks up.

Well now I have to go rent the new Underworld. Thank you very much.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Well now I have to go rent the new Underworld. Thank you very much.
Oh, I also bumped up the mains/center/wides to 80hz and bumped the back/side surrounds to 90hz and received a nice little bump in response. I was running the mains at 40 or 60 but we now run the subs all the time so why not get the wife used to this config, she seems willing.

I'm anxious to get that third MFW up the stairs, I asked Mark Seaton when he will have another amplifier for me. Hard to imagine what 3 MFW's will do. :D

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Got back from the wedding and Monday night I passed out as soon as I got home. Tonight I hope to run through measurements, depends on the wife mood factor.... that's always a factor....

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
IIRC aren't your room dimensions nearly square? Getting a good response will be challenging, but it can be done. In addition to eq, I would play around with phase angles of the subs, you can go into REW and simulate what would happen to the response with various placement and time delays. Normally one would adjust the delay to match, but in your case it might be better to try and create some destructive interference to tame the room modes. I will post a picture of what I'm talking about.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
IIRC aren't your room dimensions nearly square? Getting a good response will be challenging, but it can be done. In addition to eq, I would play around with phase angles of the subs, you can go into REW and simulate what would happen to the response with various placement and time delays. Normally one would adjust the delay to match, but in your case it might be better to try and create some destructive interference to tame the room modes. I will post a picture of what I'm talking about.

Yep, square room with windows on two corners, I hit the motherload of bad rooms.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, square room with windows on two corners, I hit the motherload of bad rooms.
I have a 4.1 system in my bedroom, which is 12x11x8. Sounds like crap regardless of where I place the sub. Modeling the response, 3-4 subs in each corner with eq to flatten out the room mode could help, but it's really a lost cause lol. I've got problems all the way up to 300hz.

Where is the listening position located? You'll get the best response at approximately 38% from the front or back wall.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I have a 4.1 system in my bedroom, which is 12x11x8. Sounds like crap regardless of where I place the sub. Modeling the response, 3-4 subs in each corner with eq to flatten out the room mode could help, but it's really a lost cause lol. I've got problems all the way up to 300hz.

Where is the listening position located? You'll get the best response at approximately 38% from the front or back wall.

The wife has been kind enough to allow the insane amount of speakers I have placed into the room, now to include a 3rd MFW15. She flat out refuses moving the recliners away from the wall because the only entrance into the room is next to her recliner which if moved forward will block the entrance.

Adding this third subwoofer as is of course sounds horrible because I couldn't run REW or Audyssey so while she was in the bathroom I did a quick level adjustment and tried to get it sounding good before she came out. The sub was very easy to locate no matter what I did so she has a hair appointment tonight which means I have about 2 hours to try and dial it in. OR, wait until the next time she is at her parents house, or I get her drunk and she goes to bed early....

MFW.JPG

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
The listening positions are against the back wall, I sit in the chair on the right, about 2ft away from the back wall. It could be worse, we could have had a vaulted ceiling in this box of a room. o_O

MLP.JPG

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The wife has been kind enough to allow the insane amount of speakers I have placed into the room, now to include a 3rd MFW15. She flat out refuses moving the recliners away from the wall because the only entrance into the room is next to her recliner which if moved forward will block the entrance.

Adding this third subwoofer as is of course sounds horrible because I couldn't run REW or Audyssey so while she was in the bathroom I did a quick level adjustment and tried to get it sounding good before she came out. The sub was very easy to locate no matter what I did so she has a hair appointment tonight which means I have about 2 hours to try and dial it in. OR, wait until the next time she is at her parents house, or I get her drunk and she goes to bed early....

View attachment 20808
What I would do is level match each sub using the gain knob to 75dB, then adjust them all together via the gain control in the receiver to 75dB. If the sub is directly across from the front subs, flip the phase switch to 180 degrees and see how it sounds. What crossover point are you using? Maybe try going below 80hz. I know in my square room I had better results crossing over at about 50-60hz. What speakers are you using for all channels?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis