Standmounts $2K, $4K, $6K: Home Audition WaveTouch, Salk Silk, B&W CM5, Totem Element Fire

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Well, as those of you following this thread would know, the way I came out of my quest for stand-mounts was favoring the $6K Totem Element Fire as my first choice. Call me a wimp, but as it came down to actually pulling the trigger I just didn’t feel convinced enough to go ahead with ordering them.
You mean, you got me all hot & bothered and then never bought them? Tease.:p

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Did you ever try NHT? They offer a free 30-day trial (free shipping both ways).
I've looked at the NHT website. Reviews and specs (down to 45 Hz) appear great, but seems like a sub would be needed. What are your thoughts?

Also, I just noticed you have KEF 201/2. That's another I've been eyeing.

Would appreciate your comments there as well.

Last edited:
jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Get the 1008Be's. ;)

I haven't heard the Ushers or the Atlantic Monthlie's :D but I have heard the 1008Be's and I can attest to their magnificence, even without a sub. Of course plenty of power is needed but what good speaker doesn't crave more power. :)
Hmmm. In your experience, have you seen them available for anything less than the msrp?

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
You mean, you got me all hot & bothered and then never bought them? Tease.:p
There's nothing like a little cold water to cool things down...and it finally started to rain a bit here in CA. :)

Also, you guys keep coming up with other suggestions! :confused:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
There's nothing like a little cold water to cool things down... :) Also, you guys keep coming up with other suggestions! :confused:
Reality is a mother-you-know-what, huh? ;)

Been there, done that brother. :D

Sure, blame us. :eek::D:D:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've looked at the NHT website. Reviews and specs (down to 45 Hz) appear great, but seems like a sub would be needed. What are your thoughts?

Also, I just noticed you have KEF 201/2. That's another I've been eyeing.

Would appreciate your comments there as well.
You never know until you try, right?

I like NHT, but they do need subs.

I like the KEF 201/2 a whole lot, and they need subs.

I also really like the RBH SX-T1 (basically the top half of the $15K RBH T30 towers).

I just auditioned the Funk 6.1P monitors and think they are great.

I think all monitors need subs. No exception.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm. In your experience, have you seen them available for anything less than the msrp?
Yeah, once in a while on Audiogon but they get scarfed up pretty fast; literally in some instances, within hours of posting. It gives you an idea how much people like them. I'd pass on the S model BTW. Great speaker but nowhere near the beryllium models. Personally I would go with the 1st series model, the 1007Be. Really, how much more of an improvement did Focal make in the 1008Be? The crossover? ... at best? :rolleyes:

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I had a dealer in fl offer me his demo 1008's with the stands for 4k even if that helps.
Cheers, Mac

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
What sub would you recommend?
Not to cut in on AcuDefTechGuy but your still looking for a music only setup, right? Or both HT & audio? And if so, what's the percentage of music to HT? 80/20 or 50/50 for music/HT?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What sub would you recommend?
How much money do you have? :D

Perhaps comparing the "musicality" of subwoofers is like comparing amps. :D

Some people say that bass from most subs just don't sound "musical" like bass from full-range towers. For example, some people claim that bass from the SVS flagship subs are great for movies, but not for music. Of course, others disagree. But if the former is also your sentiment, then I recommend getting subs that are actually the same bass units from tower speakers. For example, the $15K RBH T30 tower has dual 10" woofers. RBH basically took that bottom portion of the tower and made it a dual 10" sub. It also comes passive just like your speakers, which are also passive. Same driver, same cabinet, same "tower-bass". You can also use similar amps to power the subs just like the speakers. If you think amps are all different. :D You could get the passive SX-1010N sub for about $800 each. They are also slender like tower speakers. :D

I find my passive Funk 18.0 also "musical". But they cost over $4K for a pair of passive. Anyway, more food for thought. :D

D

doug s.

Enthusiast
if you have the space, are in maine, or are able to conwince the seller to ship, you will be hard pressed to beat this; the seller has two he's willing to sell. i have a pair of these, w/upgraded drivers; you will have to spend a lot more to equal these. (btw, they weigh "only" 140lbs, not 160...)
VMPS tall boy sub woofer WOW! with 1000w sub amp
00Y0Y_8uPbtTMCynu_600x450.jpg

here's a newer iteration in detroit; one only. but these come up f/s relatively frequently; wait for another:
VMPS tall boy sub woofer WOW! with 1000w sub amp
00o0o_9gD0WYvWkK9_600x450.jpg

doug s.

D

doug s.

Enthusiast
another nice choice; slightly less output, "only down to 19hz instead of 17hz, but still really good, especially for the price. this pair has updated drivers. sf bay area:

Vintage VMPS Brian Cheney large subwoofer
00c0c_iW1cpCggsM_600x450.jpg

specs for original:
Rec. xover range: - 60 Hz - 300 Hz
Internal wiring: - 12 gauge Monster Cable
Impedance & Sensitivity: - 8 Ohm, 90 dB/1W/1m
Power handling: - 300 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: - 19 Hz - 600 Hz +0/-3 dB
Output levels and distortion: - max. 2.5%THD fullrange / 1 W, max. 112+ dB SPL/1m

specs for larger:
Drivers: - 38cm (15") WCF Megawoofer, 30cm (12") WCF Megawoofer, 38cm (15") Passive Radiator
Rec. xover range: - 60 Hz - 250 Hz
Internal wiring: - 12 gauge Monster Cable
Impedance & Sensitivity: - 4 Ohm, 92 dB/1W/1m (older upright iteration - 95db/1w/1m)
Power handling: - 600 W rms / 4 Ohms, 20 W min.
Frequency response: - 17 Hz - 250 Hz +0/-3dB
Dimensions & Weight: - 58Hx81Wx 48D cm, 63 kg, (23"Hx32"Wx19"D, 138 lbs) (older uprights - 18"Dx26"Wx39"H)
Output levels and distortion: - max. 0.5% 20 Hz to 250 Hz / 1 W, min. 115 dB SPL / 1m at 20 Hz & 2.5%THD

doug s.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
There is an in-wall cabinet for the sub, which is the limiting factor. A new sub would be replacing a Polk PSW450 that was installed when we moved into the house. It just sounds flabby to me at higher volume levels.

BTW, is it possible to damage a sub? I was playing around with it yesterday, and disconnected the power cord. When I re-connected the cord, the sub produced a very large thump. It still works, but I'm not sure if I damaged it to any extent. So, is it an all-or-none thing with a sub, where either it works or it doesn't, or are there degrees of possible damage where it still works, but not as it should?

M

Mo Noyz

Banned
As I stated in another thread, I've had my Velodyne CHT-15 sub for a decade now, and I swear by it. Very clean, and very fast which makes it great for music. It actually has a toggle to switch between movie and music.

I couldn't recommend a Velodyne sub more.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis