Standmounts $2K, $4K, $6K: Home Audition WaveTouch, Salk Silk, B&W CM5, Totem Element Fire

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
I'm initiating this new thread as a follow-on to the "Standmount speakers: $2K, $4K or $6K" thread I started last month wherein I described my search for standmounts in three price ranges. In this new thread I will be sharing my thoughts on four speakers I've chosen to audition at home after in-dealer trials and receiving much useful feedback from Audioholics Forum members.

The speakers, in order of audition and comment will iinclude:
WaveTouch "Mt. Rainier" (not yet in production)
Salk Sound "Silk"
B&W "CM5"
Totem Element "Fire"

I'll begin with my impressions of the Mt. Rainier, the anticipated follow-on to the WaveTouch Grand Teton.

I'll start with the phrase "And now for something completely different," because that's the best way I can describe my experience with the WaveTouch Mt. Rainier...or at least the crossover parts testing cabinets sent to me by designer Alex Yoon.

Different in just about every way, from how it came to be included in my "short list", to the interactions with Mr. Yoon, to the unpacking, the set-up, to my wife's reaction to the speakers..., I could go on and on. Oh, and did I mention the appearance? (pictures at end of post)

I won't go into every detail because there's just too much going on with this speaker, but I will comment on the appearance. Calling its looks "unconventional" would not do it justice. Indeed quite the opposite could be said in that most of the oddities of its appearance are features designed to enhance the sound and enable customization by the listener. This customization can be done through the addition of various diffusers, rotating mechanisms, ropes around the woofers, etc. Suffice it to say this speaker is a "tweaker's paradise." It's almost as if the speaker is a set of components in and of itself. As strange as some of this may seem, these things actually have a significant effect on the sound. I mentioned my wife's reaction above. She rarely gets involved in this stuff (which I'm sure comes as a complete suprise to you all :)), but in the case of this unique looking speaker she actually showed some interest. When we first started to listen to it, I'll just say she wasn't too taken by it. But after working the ropes, angling waveguides, experimenting with diffusers and careful placement, her reaction was "oh, that's better." So enough said about that.

Although it's tempting, I won't dwell on the appearance of this speaker. The final thought I'll leave on this is that it looks less strange in real life than in pictures, and after having it around a while the oddities kind of go away. The longer you look at and hear the speaker, the less noticeable its looks become and the more significant its sound does.

Before I go further I should provide background on my listening perspective coming into these auditions. Predominantly my history has been listening to large speakers from my days as a club DJ to my primary home speakers which are custom 3-ways with Focal drivers and a 13 inch woofer in a large cabinet. So approaching standmounts and not wanting to go with a sub, bass response is a concern for me. Of course the laws of physics are at play and I'm not expecting to get the same bass I'm used to hearing on my customs, so I'm willing to trade that off for the potentially better imaging of a standmount - which is why I got into this standmount hunt in the first place. I just have to determine the extent of the tradeoff that I'm willing to make.

My musical preferences don't vary very widely, mainly rock/pop, mainstream club/dance, '80's R&B, light jazz and femal vocalists, Broadway and classic classical.

My listening room is a 13'x15' carpeted space with 9' ceilings, and I'm currently using a Musical Fidelity M6500i integrated amp as the foundation of my electronics.

So back to the Mt. Rainiers. Again, most everything about this speaker is unique. In his guidelines Mr. Yoon states:
"Your new speakers are different from all your previous speakers. Please be ready to hear the difference. Your ears need some time to get used to a "new sound."

"New sound" indeed.

First off these speakers are very efficient, spec'ing out at 4 ohms and 90 dB SPL, with 40-27kHz frequency response. This is the smallest speaker in my audition plan, measuring 12"h x 7.5"w x 9.5"d.

After some warmup I immediately started to relate to Mr. Yoon's statement about these speakers sounding different. There is a detail to them to an extent I didn't hear in any of the other speakers I auditioned, save perhaps the Joseph Audio Pulsars. I immediately contrasted the Mt. Rainiers to the Sonus Faber Olympica, which I felt were overly smooth (or maybe veiled) to the point where I felt I was missing too much. The WaveTouch tag line on their web site reads: "The veil (in front of speakers) is lifted." This seems an apt despriction. There is an abundance of information coming from these speakers, but not in an overly strident way.

These speakers have a pleasing energy and excitement to them at lower volume levels, the type which I found lacking on several others I auditioned including the Spendor SP1/2R2. At near-in listening distances I found myself wanting to listen to many of my favorite tracks on the WaveTouch just to see how they'd fare through this "different" sounding speaker. Another comparison I can draw is versus the Dynaudio Confidence 1, which also has a great amount of detail and information, perhaps in a more balanced way wherein the detail doesn't stand out as much (but at a lot more money). And by the way, the C1 is not the most conventional looking speaker either, and like the WaveTouch, very much in the service of sound.

For a small speaker these Mt. Rainiers can play quite loud and filled my room very well, albeit not with the same weight as my references. They were able to handle everything I threw at them, from the driving bass of extended remixes of Madonna's "Die another Day" to Andrew Lloyd Weber's organ-heavy "Phantom of the Opera" overture. But I most enjoyed smaller scale music, like ensembles or acoustic soloists on thses Mt. Rainiers. James Taylor's "Sweet Baby Jane" was, in a good way, like I've never heard it before.

Perhaps due to the Scanspeak "Revelator" mid/woofers employed in them, these are indeed revelatory speakers. I tried several combinations of amps, cables and source gear, and all I can say is you better be ready to "face the music" coming out of your componentry leading up to this speaker, becasue you will hear it in spades. I think these speakers would be best paired with tube or warm, tube-like transistor amplification.

One concern i did have, which along with bass content of standmounts is a major issue for me, is the potential for listener fatigue. At first I thought this could be a problem, but after extended listening, optimum placement and several adjustments with diffusers, that concern dissipated. But again, I think this speaker would be best mated to warmer sounding electronics.

Finally I come to the bass, which as I expected, appeared as my pet "bug-a-boo." This is where I felt I was missing something. It's clearly present, but sometimes just not enough. My thinking is I'd need a sub to live with these as my only speakers long term. (But I may come to that conclusion with all of the standmounts in my auditioning plan)

Overall, although it's the first in my line-up for home audition, I think I now understand and can appreciate the claim that this is a "different" sounding speaker. Of course, every speaker is in some sense different, but with the WaveTouch it's just more noticeable. How different I won't be able to judge until I'm throgh the rest of my listening to the others in my plan.

However I can say right now that this is a serious speaker, one to be reckoned with and one that may be just the right choice for those looking to experience intimate listening with an extraordinary level of detail and musical reality (to the extent detail goes hand-in-hand with reality).

Next I'll move on to auditioning the Salk "Silk".

For those of you who'd like to follow my impressions real time I have opened a Twitter account:
"@audioamici"

Estimated specifications for WaveTouch Mt. Rainier:
Frequency response: 40-27kHz
Sensitivity: 90db (4 ohm)
Nordost internal wiring
AMT Heil ribbon tweeter
5.5" Scanspeak "Revelator" woofer
YoonTone (TM) technology
Maple plywood cabinetry
Production model will be trapezoidal: Base 9"w x 9.5"d, Top 6.5"w x 9.5"d, Height 12"
Price: $4,000/pr

100_1665.jpg

mt rainier 1.jpg

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
I'd be interested in your review of the CM5, considering all the trolling about how the CM5 is better than the 805D by "some unnamed banned member" I'm wondering if someone else actually agreed with the hype as well.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Well, I passed by the CM5 in my initial evaluations, so I went back and gave them another listen. They seemed a viable candidate in the $2K category in that they'd be pretty accessible to alot of folks (BestBuy/Magnolia), and by their popularity could serve as a good reference point.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
When listening to bookshelfs I want the high end to be near spectacular, I almost disreguard the low end since I use subs, and the mids don't have to surprise me, I just want them accurate and balanced with the highs. The cm5's high end was not to my liking and the speaker had a $600 per pair feel to them sound/finish-overall not $1500.... I can honestly say the csb1's sound much better, soundstage, highs {are soo much better}, mids, over all sound is just better, even the fit and finish...

The bookshelf market is weird, you can get a great sounding bookshelf for under $1000 and put it against speakers that cost much much more... I have a bookshelf infatuation, I just received some jbls I am going to try out, and I can not wait to get a set of sierra 2's, I spoke with a gentleman whose opinion I trust whole heartedly and he said that sierra 2 is breathtaking....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am sure that the WaveTouch sounds nice - however for $4000 - I do not
wish to do a lot of tweaking to get the so-called perfect sound. > I prefer
that the speaker be ready to plug in.

However, to each their own

G

gtgray

Audiophyte
AMT Heil ribbon tweeter.

I did love the ESS speakers I bought in the late 70s with them.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
However for $4000 - I do not
wish to do a lot of tweaking to get the so-called perfect sound.
Understood. I didn't cover this with Alex Yoon directly, but I have read in another review that the speakers can be run without the waveguides and still get 90% of the performance, but for $4K I'd think one would want 100%, at least, and maybe not have to work that hard to get it. :)

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Immediate impression of Salk Sound Silks: "Subs need not apply" :D

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
I have read in another review that the speakers can be run without the waveguides and still get 90% of the performance
Given the oddities of the WaveTouch’s appearance are so much due to the wave guides strung in front of the drivers and the horns surrounding them, I decided to de-install both to determine their effect on the sound for myself.

Removing and re-installing the wave guide/horn assemblies was quite easy. They are more sturdy than they look.

But when listening without them I didn’t feel the performance of the speaker was anywhere near 90%. There was a significant drop-off in just about every aspect of the speaker's performance. The sound becomes thin and diffused, losing most everything that makes it special. So if you’re considering these be prepared to stay with the “accessories”. They’re well worth it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if the speakers are DESIGNED to be used with Waive Guide, then they should be used with Waive Guide and it should NOT be an "ACCESSORY". :eek:

Obviously, not all speakers need waive guide - speakers that are NOT designed to be used with waive guide.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Well, if the speakers are DESIGNED to be used with Waive Guide, then they should be used with Waive Guide and it should NOT be an "ACCESSORY". :eek:

Obviously, not all speakers need waive guide - speakers that are NOT designed to be used with waive guide.
Good point. I used the term "accessory" rather loosely. :)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Given the oddities of the WaveTouch’s appearance are so much due to the wave guides strung in front of the drivers and the horns surrounding them, I decided to de-install both to determine their effect on the sound for myself.

Removing and re-installing the wave guide/horn assemblies was quite easy. They are more sturdy than they look.

But when listening without them I didn’t feel the performance of the speaker was anywhere near 90%. There was a significant drop-off in just about every aspect of the speaker's performance. The sound becomes thin and diffused, losing most everything that makes it special. So if you’re considering these be prepared to stay with the “accessories”. They’re well worth it.
Personally I would find the need for the "wave guide's" a bit troubling for a speaker in that price range. Add in the unconventional looks ... you may want to sell them at some point and the general public might not be so understanding ... and it would probably be a deal breaker for myself.
Just sayin' :)

Sounds like you have a hard decision ahead of you.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
I can't imagine the resell value of those speakers are very good. Probably as well as a used pair of Usher BE-718s. LOL.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I have heard the WaveTouch Grand Teton, B&W CM5, and the Salk Silk. If accuracy is the reference Salk Silk blows the B&W and WaveTouch out of the water, IMHO.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Thanks for the HO. :)

I'd be interested to know the circumstances.

Were your auditions done in the same room with the same electronics for each speaker? What kind of electronics were used? What type of music did you listen to?

How did the speakers differ?

Thanks.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Thanks for the HO. :)

I'd be interested to know the circumstances.

Were your auditions done in the same room with the same electronics for each speaker? What kind of electronics were used? What type of music did you listen to?

How did the speakers differ?

Thanks.
Unfortunately not. I heard WaveTouch at THE Show Newport, Salk at the California Audio Show, and I've heard the CM5 many times at Magnolia and occasionally a dealer's showroom. I was just throwing it out there since I am probably one of the few who has had the opportunity to hear all 3 under any circumstance.

The track I heard on the Salk Silks was No Sanctuary Here by Chris Jones. I don't remember the track playing in the WaveTouch room or the tracks I brought with me for the CM5. I've heard most of the CM and all of the 800 series several times.

Sorry I can't be more help. I was just throwing it out there for the sake of doing so.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
Unfortunately not. I heard WaveTouch at THE Show Newport, Salk at the California Audio Show, and I've heard the CM5 many times at Magnolia and occasionally a dealer's showroom. I was just throwing it out there since I am probably one of the few who has had the opportunity to hear all 3 under any circumstance.

The track I heard on the Salk Silks was No Sanctuary Here by Chris Jones. I don't remember the track playing in the WaveTouch room or the tracks I brought with me for the CM5. I've heard most of the CM and all of the 800 series several times.

Sorry I can't be more help. I was just throwing it out there for the sake of doing so.
Understood. The input is still really appreciated. Now if you only had listened to the Totems also! ;)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Understood. The input is still really appreciated. Now if you only had listened to the Totems also! ;)
I have heard the Totem Wind. I heard it back in 2012, so I can't really comment other than to say I wasn't impressed. In the same showroom I heard the TAD CR1 and the Dynaudio Confidence C2, both of which I liked.

I'm not too fond of Totem, personally. None of the Totem speakers that I have heard have really done much for me, and their Torrent Technology seems like a marketing gimmick.

They speak nothing about the science or design of their driver's, but blab on and on about how great they are. I've never appreciated companies that do things like that. They claim, "[Our driver] is mechanically and electrically engineered to avoid the use of a crossover and yet perform beyond any preset levels." Vance Dickason designed a two-way speaker using a woofer with a 4 layer voice coil with no filter and a tweeter with a 3rd order high pass. The idea is that the increased inductance of the 4-layer coil will cause the speaker to begin to roll off lower in frequency. The driver is its own filter. Vance took measurements of the same exact woofer with a 4-layer and 2-layer voice coil. The 4 layer had a F3 of 2.5khz while the 2-layer had a F3 of 4.5khz.

Totem is clearly allowing the driver to be its own lowpass filter. Whether this has been done differently than the way Vance did it or with significant advantages we will probably never know. It hardly sounds like the next big thing in speaker design, but I only know what they told me. FWIW, I think Aura's NRT is the next big thing in loudspeaker design. JBL's Differential Drive Tech and Acoustic Elegance's motor design are both very cool as well.

If you care enough, you can read about Aura's NRT here, JBL Differental Tech here, and the Acoustic Elegance Motor here.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis