So I detail cars...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've used the Mequiar's rinse free wash twice with great success. I'm surprised at the results and would be comfortable using it on any car. I plan to use their lens cleaner at to clean the headlights and fog lamps soon. They aren't too bad so I think a little cleaner will dot he job.
If the results work then that's good. I haven't seen it with my own eyes soI can't believe it yet. My understanding of safe washing tells me this won't work where I live (heavy soiling). Don't polish your headlights unless they are yellow and hazy. If they are just mildly dirty wash and use a glaze or filler-only polish. you'll be surprised how well it works while still keeping the factory applied UV barrier in place (wetsand and polishing removes this barrier permanently).

You ever use a steamer on the interior? I'm looking at getting a small steamer to help clean up the leather and upholstery.
I want one very badly, but I have to get an industrial unit for how often I'll use it. Those are upwards of a grand and I don't have the funds for that.

I've got a couple restoration projects I want to try. Touching up the paint and leather repair. Unfortunately I think I will have to replace the cat converter since it appears to be clogged.
I have never found a liking to restoration steps like leather or touch ups. I would rather respray it or replace the part if it's bad enough.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, another week, another detail, this time a Mazda 6 Wagon, with the V6 and a Manual! Cool car!

Moving on to the Polising stage, the car had some interesting damage. One side had massive water spotting, while the other had this weird staining which I couldn't fully remove. I got most of it, but eventually you need to think about your clear coat and say enough is enough.
DSC_8030 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Your normal swirling associated with washing. They did take very good care of the car, but eventually you need to polish it.
DSC_8033 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Tailgate.
DSC_8034 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

The only deep scratch on the car.
DSC_8036 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

That's if for the befores, I needed all my time fixing the paint. Starting with the interior, Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber for the dash and doors, Carbrite for the glass, and Autoglym Leather cleaner and conditioner for the seats.
DSC_8038 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Purple Power APC for the engine and Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber for the trims.
DSC_8041 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Headlights were only waxed by hand using Collinite 476S.
DSC_8056 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Paint was polished with almost everything I have in my arsenal. Meguiars Fine cut Cleaner, heavy Cut Cleaner, M105 12/10 cutting compound and Ultimate Compound. The Staining and water spots were VERY difficult to remove and after some experimentation M105 and Ultimate Compound on MF and Orange Cutting pads was my solution. All polishing was wiped with IPA to remove oils before waxing. 2 layers of Collinite 476s were applied roughly 12 hours apart with Autoglym Rapid detailer used as a wipe down before the second coat.
DSC_8066 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Exhausts were polished with Mothers metal polish and #000 wire wool, buffed with a cotton terry down and then IPA'd before being sealed with Finish Kare 1000P.
DSC_8072 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Wheels cleaned with APC and Carbrite White Lightning Acid wheel cleaner and sealed with Finish Kare 1000P, while the tires were dressed with Carbrite Satin Dressing.
DSC_8081 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

C

chas_w

Full Audioholic
Very nice...and thanks for listing the products you used. I like the lower sheen satin dressing on the tires. Do you use the APC to clean the tires as well as wheels? Nice photos again...using a Nikon prime?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Very nice...and thanks for listing the products you used. I like the lower sheen satin dressing on the tires. Do you use the APC to clean the tires as well as wheels? Nice photos again...using a Nikon prime?
It's still a fairly glossy dressing, I applied it the day before the photos were taken so it would mellow out a bit before giving the car back. APC and Carbrite White Lightning were used on the wheels. They were very clean but after driving around back the rusty water from the rotors and chassis left some marks on the inner barrels.

Camera was a Nikon D5000, and I used my Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 and Nikkor 85mm F1.8 for the photos.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hello Everyone! Here is this weekends detail.

Car is a 2005 Acura RL, which belongs to a friend who donated $200 to my Ride to Conquer Cancer Fund, so in return he got what I call an enhancement detail. This basically consists of A Full interior and exterior clean up, with a 70 - 85% swirl removal polish.

Lets start the photos! Engine bay ready for cleaning.
DSC_8096 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Wheels where in a clean state, but some where curbed.
DSC_8097 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Paint looked pretty clean but the polisher pulled out a fair bit of dirty after washing.
DSC_8098 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Rear bumper had some nasty scars.
DSC_8099 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Mostly plastic.
DSC_8100 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Foam canon.
DSC_8101 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Floor mats getting a scrub.
DSC_8106 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Some swirl shots around the car.
DSC_8113 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8116 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

All gone!
DSC_8124 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

The best way to polish with a Dual Action Polisher.
DSC_8126 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Spread the polish around your working area.
DSC_8128 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Work it in.
DSC_8129 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Exhaust before.
DSC_8140 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Exhaust after.
DSC_8141 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Wheels cleaned, sealed, and dressed.
DSC_8147 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Headlights.
DSC_8150 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8161 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Whole picture.
DSC_8163 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8175 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Engine after.
DSC_8182 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Back seat.
DSC_8194 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Front seat.
DSC_8196 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Just to let you guys know, I have reached my goal for the ride. I am still going to detail for donations, but it's good to know I'll be able to participate.

SheepStar

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just to let you guys know, I have reached my goal for the ride. I am still going to detail for donations, but it's good to know I'll be able to participate.

SheepStar
Nice, we had our first event last week; finished in the top 200 out of ~2,400 riders. I am still a little too fat after winter but just now bumped mileage up to 100/week.

My wife is doing really good this year with more speed and climbing power. I may put some lead in her top-tube....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Nice, we had our first event last week; finished in the top 200 out of ~2,400 riders. I am still a little too fat after winter but just now bumped mileage up to 100/week.

My wife is doing really good this year with more speed and climbing power. I may put some lead in her top-tube....
Nice! The weather is getting better now so I'm averaging about 160 kms a week in commuting, and a training ride on the weekend with the group doing the charity ride. I need to get out on the trials bike and Mountain bike too, but it's hard to find the time.

SheepStar

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, a lack of mountain biking has slowed me down a lot. I can normally catch about any road biker once we hit the climbs but not this year!!!!!

Oh...and I cleaned my car for you...lol...

Matt34

Matt34

Is it weird I saw a Q5 in the same color today and thought of you? It was a 3.2 though, not the diesel.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't forgotten about this thread!

Another donation detail completed this weekend on a Ford F150. Sorry, I don't know the year.

All the photos are after shots, I had to spread this one out over the whole weekend between stag parties and other engagements.
DSC_8653 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8655 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8656 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8657 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8661 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8664 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8685 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8686 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8690 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8695 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_8699 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Enjoy!

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Another Weekend, another detail. I'm switching it up a bit by postig the album with descriptions on Imgur as this is how reddit needs the details submitted. It des help however my keeping the forum message cleaner and not so super massive.

http://imgur.com/a/Jgy2y

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

That Frontier cleaned up pretty well! I just used some Collinite 845 for the first time on my own truck. Washed, clayed, and protected the front half before the rain set in.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Detailing is one of my favorite hobbies. Here's my Tacoma getting the royal treatment

C

chas_w

Full Audioholic
That Frontier cleaned up pretty well! I just used some Collinite 845 for the first time on my own truck. Washed, clayed, and protected the front half before the rain set in.
Looks great...what did you think of the Collinite?

Matt34

Matt34

Looks great...what did you think of the Collinite?
I liked it, have used it twice so far, on my truck and my friend black Charger. Pretty easy to remove and really easy to apply so I can understand it's popularity among detailers. I picked up a pack of 8 of these applicators as well, which IMO, are a lot nicer than those cheap foam discs that come with the cheaper waxes.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MIC29208-Microfiber-Applicators/dp/B00BTGSGFK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I liked it, have used it twice so far, on my truck and my friend black Charger. Pretty easy to remove and really easy to apply so I can understand it's popularity among detailers. I picked up a pack of 8 of these applicators as well, which IMO, are a lot nicer than those cheap foam discs that come with the cheaper waxes.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-MIC29208-Microfiber-Applicators/dp/B00BTGSGFK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
Apparently if you heat up 845 you can spray it on, and it makes even thin coats easier and removal easier as well. Research that, but that's what I've heard.

SHeepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Okay so I have some more photos for this thread. I bought a new camera (Nikon D750) and made the jump to full frame. Good gravy, anyone rocking DX that is serious about cameras needs a FX body in their kit.

This detail is my buddies S2000, we gave it a quick bath and a medium duty polish so he could enjoy it for the summer.

DSC_0265 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0269 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0274 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0276 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0281 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0302 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0307 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0323 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0334 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_0355 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

SheepStar

Latest posts