So I detail cars...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Can't speak for the company but CQuartz is one of the best coatings available.
I can't decide if it would be worth it for me or not. In all likelihood, I will keep the new Audi for two years and then trade it in. My other one was right at two years old when I traded it in and it looked great. I fear that the Grey of the new one will show more imperfections than the white one did.

True confession...I know you shouldn't use an automated carwash but I do at least once a week.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I am thinking of trying this place and maybe have the CQuartz FINEST applied.

What do you think?

http://www.newimageautodetail.com/
They seem decent, $250 for a no polish detail is reasonable if they clean every surcace, but it seems they skip the engine bay at that price. I would doubt they use any permanent coatigns at that price as well. Rim protection is almost not worth it unless it's a permanent coating (or if you enjoy doing it every few months). They have good methods though and seem to know the right things about products and application (sayings 3 months from a wax is a proper estimate, not 6 months to a year which others state).

SheepStar

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

I can't decide if it would be worth it for me or not. In all likelihood, I will keep the new Audi for two years and then trade it in. My other one was right at two years old when I traded it in and it looked great. I fear that the Grey of the new one will show more imperfections than the white one did.

True confession...I know you shouldn't use an automated carwash but I do at least once a week.

At least go to a touch-less(no brush)wash.

If you're looking at 2 years of ownership I would skip the CQuart and save it for a detail if you sell it privately. You don't have to deal with the crappy salt/sand on the roads that beat up clear-coats.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Matt is right, Cquarts and other coatings are for things you're not planning on getting rid of. A really nice wax/sealant (Note: really nice means performs well, not "is expensive") is a better option if you're not going to keep the car. Also, just having the car clean is better then having a nice wax while skipping the other important steps. Clean surfaces all around shows that you cared for the vehicle.

SheepStar

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Make sense. I just thought that the Cquarts would help protect the paint from the "brush" carwash.

I want to be that guy that cleans his own car but I'M JUST NOT.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Make sense. I just thought that the Cquarts would help protect the paint from the "brush" carwash.

I want to be that guy that cleans his own car but I'M JUST NOT.
There is a multi step program to make you the man you want to be. I could type it up for you but it would take about 10 years to put down in text everything that is going on in my head when I detail (and that's not including the thoughts of the hot women walking by).

Back on topic, those coatings claims of adding a hard layer to the paint is limited in the actual protection. They mainly keep beading and sheeting water longer, which helps stop dirt and other debris from settling into the paint again. Scratch protection is not what I would purchase/play for.

SheepStar

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
There is a multi step program to make you the man you want to be. I could type it up for you but it would take about 10 years to put down in text everything that is going on in my head when I detail (and that's not including the thoughts of the hot women walking by).

Back on topic, those coatings claims of adding a hard layer to the paint is limited in the actual protection. They mainly keep beading and sheeting water longer, which helps stop dirt and other debris from settling into the paint again. Scratch protection is not what I would purchase/play for.

SheepStar
I had the detailer come by last night to discuss and he said there is no way he would spend $900 on the Cquarts if it was his car and he only kept them for two years. He recommended some product named Daddy-o and he said he is honestly amazed how long it last in the Texas heat. He said he would detail and use that for a fraction of the cost and he thinks it will be more of what I need. He also said "please at least try a "touch-less" car wash and see if you can live with that."...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What do you recommend when the interior of a car smells funky, almost as if it was wet and got moldy, yet to your knowledge there was never any water damage? To further complicate matters, there's no readily apparent way to isolate the source.
Lift the carpet in the front footwells- if the weatherstrip leaks, the padding gets wet and this is the typical odor. It becomes slimy, too- get ready for that sensation. Cold and slimy- Oh, boy.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Weatherstripping looks good but I'll try your suggestion. Sheep's approach of using a degreaser + detergent made a very significant improvement in both the odor reduction as well as stain removal.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I will be trying a rinse free car wash product for the first time this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Not sure I will get to the interior, but I have some APC for that if I do have the energy. I would prefer to do woodworking on the weekends, but I really don't have the space on my balcony. I need something to get out of the house.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I had the detailer come by last night to discuss and he said there is no way he would spend $900 on the Cquarts if it was his car and he only kept them for two years. He recommended some product named Daddy-o and he said he is honestly amazed how long it last in the Texas heat. He said he would detail and use that for a fraction of the cost and he thinks it will be more of what I need. He also said "please at least try a "touch-less" car wash and see if you can live with that."...
Well if he thinks $900 is to much for Cquarts then he sould charge less for it. It's only $80 for the kit in Canada.

http://www.eshine.ca/carpro_cquartz_paint_protection_kit_30ml-5417.php?cat=71

I
agree a touchless wash is better, but really no automated wash is best.

I need an exact name of the product before I can verify that it's good. Daddy-O doesn't leave me with a good feeling.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Me neither. Just because some old fat man wants you to sit in his lap, that doesn't make him Santa...
http://www.formula113.com/waxdaddy-products/original-one-step-wax-16-oz.html

I think I found it, and to be honest, with no first hand experience with either, I would go for Cquarts, but just do it yourself (or fly me down to do it). Honestly, fat guys in Polo shirts are not what good car waxes require. It might be fine, but half the products on the market are from the same OE with a different scent or colour.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting. I have seen a LOT of Sealants that look like that. Hard to say without trying it but for $28 it's reasonably priced (Menzerna Powerlock Sealant is in the $50-60 range, and nothing to write home about).

It's hard for me to say what's a good deal without A.) knowing how well it works, and B.) what it costs to have it applied. Once you know how to detail a car you don't really think of any detailer as a good deal. I charge substantially less then any shop because I have almost no costs (unless I run out of a product, or want to try something new). That product applies just like any wax or sealant so it's not a complicated process and to me, is a simple thing to do in a detail. I wouldn't charge anything extra to use that vs any wax on wax off type sealant. Put your money into cleaning and polishing, waxes and sealants that will last are cheap and easy to come by.

I bet you wish I lived near you.

SheepStar

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My rinse free wash was a success. I used a lot of towels, but I also added some quik detailer to give it some shine. I plan to give it some interior cleaning this weekend. I will be using Mequiar's APC mostly.

Sheep, Ever done any leather refinishing? I was looking at some kits on ebay. Thought it might be a fun job.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My rinse free wash was a success. I used a lot of towels, but I also added some quik detailer to give it some shine. I plan to give it some interior cleaning this weekend. I will be using Mequiar's APC mostly.

Sheep, Ever done any leather refinishing? I was looking at some kits on ebay. Thought it might be a fun job.
No I haven't. That side of the industry to me, is less detailing and more fixing. The results and process surrounding that type of work doesn't interest me, and isn't something I like to learn. I would rather polish a car then repaint it, if that makes sense.

I'm not a fan of waterless washing. I haven't used any of them, but the idea that I can't wash my car properly gives me a bad feeling. I've done wipe downs on washed cars before polishing, but they sat in a garage overnight, after a proper wash.

Also, if you're looking for a good quick detailer, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer is one of the best. It's not super slick like a wax, but it has INSANE beading that lasts a solid 2 months and stops dirt from sticking or building up.

Carpro Reload and G-Techniqu C2V3 Liquid Crystal also work well, but Sonax is more durable and repells dirt better.

SheepStar

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not a fan of waterless washing. I haven't used any of them, but the idea that I can't wash my car properly gives me a bad feeling. I've done wipe downs on washed cars before polishing, but they sat in a garage overnight, after a proper wash.
I've used the Mequiar's rinse free wash twice with great success. I'm surprised at the results and would be comfortable using it on any car. I plan to use their lens cleaner at to clean the headlights and fog lamps soon. They aren't too bad so I think a little cleaner will dot he job.

You ever use a steamer on the interior? I'm looking at getting a small steamer to help clean up the leather and upholstery.

I've got a couple restoration projects I want to try. Touching up the paint and leather repair. Unfortunately I think I will have to replace the cat converter since it appears to be clogged.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis