Searching for the best sound system for my room, need help.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
This was my HT through undergrad in college. Survived a dorm party or two, trips back and forth to and from college, being thrown, dropped, spilled on, and just generally abused to no end. For the amount of abuse it took, the system was more than worth $250 to me. Still have it and it still works like a charm :D
You should write a review comparing them to your Philharmonic 3. XD

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
See my first post on this thread. I guess you missed it when this was first suggested.
No, I didnt miss it.
So, I guess Sherwood RX-4105 + Pioneer SP BS22 should be fine?
I can buy Sherwood RX-4109 for the same price though. Extra 5 watts is the only difference I guess
I was just wondering if I could find a a bit better receptor for 2.0 for a couple more bucks but maybe there isnt.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
No, I didnt miss it.
I can buy Sherwood RX-4109 for the same price though. Extra 5 watts is the only difference I guess
I was just wondering if I could find a a bit better receptor for 2.0 for a couple more bucks but maybe there isnt.
If you have no intent to dive into surround sound, or speakers for your TV, this is the best option in your budget, IMO:

speaker

+

Cable

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The biggest advantage of an active studio monitor is that it will have treble and bass level switches, allowing you to tone things up or down depending on the room.
I can personally attest to the benefit of having the level switches. After looking at several options, I figured that the Behringer Truth series offers the most flexibility in this manner. As it happens, the 2031A are nearly in the budget. Their back looks like this,

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
If you have no intent to dive into surround sound, or speakers for your TV, this is the best option in your budget, IMO:

speaker

+

Cable
My only question is, will I have a better sound quality for music listening with the JBL ones? Rather than with Pioneer plus receptor combo? (ignore the music production aspect)

Also, off topic, but, the Pioneer got that classic look, they are discreet, they will fit the atmosphere of my room, monitors look so modern and stylish, they might feel a bit left behind here.
Im old fashioned.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No, I didnt miss it.
I would not guess - you need to decide if you are going the passive,
or active route. If passive, then the Pioneer and Sherwood can work.
Also, 5 watts difference means nothing. > I would still lean towards
the Denon, they are built a little better with better amps. However,
the Sherwood is still a decent one.

Passive or active, it is up to you - whatever, will suit you best for now.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
And that little woofer, has some bass.:)
I think that is what surprised the reviewer more than anything, not just the quantity but quality as well, Highly reco'd in my book for anyone looking to get into this arena, value far exceeds the asking price. Makes me think if I had XXX$ amount to spend on a complete 5.0 (no sub) why look anywhere else, seriously;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I think that is what surprised the reviewer more than anything, not just the quantity but quality as well, Highly reco'd in my book for anyone looking to get into this arena, value far exceeds the asking price. Makes me think if I had XXX$ amount to spend on a complete 5.0 (no sub) why look anywhere else, seriously;)
It also goes back to when I put the BS22 on top of the FS52,
for my in-home play down. On some sources with-in the BS22
bass range, it will not be easy to tell which speaker is playing.

As I have always stated, the BS22 is not a wimp.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Dennis Murphy needs to play with these and give us a better crossover. I spot the need to tweak the BSC+ driver levels near 1.5KHz and address tweeter breakup above 10KHz.

From the review,

ahblaza

ahblaza

Dennis Murphy needs to play with these and give us a better crossover. I spot the need to tweak the BSC+ driver levels near 1.5KHz and address tweeter breakup above 10KHz.

From the review,
That would put them out of budget...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Have you ever seen murphyblaster.com?

Dennis has been known to adjust crossovers for free if you simply contact him and ask. On his DIY website he has a couple free fixes for cheap speakers (although they may be a bit outdated since he started other endeavors).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
All in all, really not bad - some of the die-hard purist may be
a little disturbed. > However, most people who will buy these
speakers really do not care, or will not lose sleep over it.

Now lets wait and see if some of the owners, who really enjoy
these speakers - if they will now give them up, because they
do not so-call measure perfect.:) > I like good measurements,
however in the end, it is the sound that matters most to me.

KEF XQ10 - $1,500 a pair - sure does measure different.:)

Attachments

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

All in all, really not bad - some of the die-hard purist may be
a little disturbed. > However, most people who will buy these
speakers really do not care, or will not lose sleep over it.

do not so-call measure perfect.:) > I like good measurements,
however in the end, it is the sound that matters most to me.

KEF XQ10 - $1,500 a pair - sure does measure different.:)
You sure you didn't just copy and paste the BS22 graph here:D
Thanks Jim.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Been There

Have you ever seen murphyblaster.com?

Dennis has been known to adjust crossovers for free if you simply contact him and ask. On his DIY website he has a couple free fixes for cheap speakers (although they may be a bit outdated since he started other endeavors).
Yeah Alex, I have seen the sight, didn't know Dennis did pro-bono work:D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
do not so-call measure perfect.
LOL Me? :D :cool:

I like good measurements,
however in the end, it is the sound that matters most to me.)
I am a measurement whore, as most of you know. However, I am not at all upset about the measurements. In fact, I'm happy. The BS-22 use cheap drivers and a 2nd order crossover (If I remember correctly), it's not going to look perfect. I wonder what the Bose, BIC America, and Sony speakers for super cheap looks like? Probably not even close. These are $129/pr, I didn't expect them to measure like the Salon 2 or Philharmonic 2. Considering the price, I think they measure very well! :D

I use my BS-22 (than you, Andrew and Chris!) everyday and I am more than happy with their measured performance.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis