Searching for the best sound system for my room, need help.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
@monkish 54, amazon ships lots of stuff to Portugal but not those two.

Know any site that sells on europe or something?
I tried musicstore but they dont have what Im seeking.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I will go with the SP BS21 then and the Denon AVR 591 5.1.
That is a good option and can work for you.

However I really prefer the BS22 - and it is more than cosmetics.
The drivers (woofer and tweeter), have been rebuilt. > The new
tweeter with the bigger waveguide is more open and extended.
The bass goes a little lower and is a little more controlled. The
midrange is a little more open and clear. The speaker in general
does throw a better sound stage. The sound from the 21, stays
closer to the speaker. All in all they do have a somewhat similar
sound character.

Last edited:
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
That is a good option and can work for you.

However I really prefer the BS22 - and it is more than cosmetics.
The drivers (woofer and tweeter), have been rebuilt. > The new
tweeter with the bigger waveguide is more open and extended.
The bass goes a little lower and is a liitle more controlled. The
midrange is a little more open and clear. The speaker in general
does throw a better sound stage. The sound from the 21, stays
closer to the speaker. All in all they do have a somewhat similar
sound character.
I agree 100%. I really like the BS-22. Obviously, they are no Philharmonic 2, but for $129 they are pretty damn close. The only problem is finding a store that will ship them to Portugal. :eek: :eek:

The Philharmonic 2 is 16.5X the cost of the BS-22. :p

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Well, that was useful information, Im going with the bs22 then.
Now I wonder where am I going to find those.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
I have been thinking about the receiver. As I said, I will be using it only for music, no movies, tv or games. Just computer music listening and music production, so 5.1 is pointless, right?
Maybe there is a better 2.1 receiver for my needs than the Denon AVR 591?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have been thinking about the receiver. As I said, I will be using it only for music, no movies, tv or games. Just computer music listening and music production, so 5.1 is pointless, right?
If you are after speakers for music production, the most common speakers used for that are studio monitors. I'm not sure how appropriate the Pioneers speakers would be for that purpose, although I would think they would do fine for casual music production. They would definitely not be my first choice for serious critical music production.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Well, enlight me.
I was following this thought, if the speakers are really good for music listening why wouldnt they be for producing as well? Both focus on the same aspect, sound quality.
What would be the difference between bs22 and some studio monitor around the same price?

Im into experimental electronica, when it comes to producing but when it comes to music listening, 85% of the stuff I listen isnt electronic so I would like some good speakers for both kinds. Why wouldnt the pioneer ones suit my production needs?

It is not going to be casual producing, talking about some serious projects.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If your intended application is desktop production speakers, you will want near-field monitors. These are examples of near-field monitors. They are designed to be as neutral as possible and have a decent sound field in close proximity to the speakers. If you are serious like you say, I would advise getting a pair with good bass extension so you don't have to rely on a subwoofer as much for monitoring the bass. For monitoring, I would want to take the subwoofer out of the equation as much as possible, just relegate it to deep bass. Go for some monitors with 8" woofers and extension down to 50 hz if you can. Cross em over at 60 hz to the subwoofer.

If you intend to make bass heavy music, as I would infer from the phrase experimental electronica, my advise would be get a subwoofer with good bass extension. This will widen the palette of sound you have to work with, and it will also let you know if there is inappropriately deep bass in the mix- this can happen and it is something to watch out for. If I were you, I would also get a decent pair of headphones, to check your mix. Headphones can reveal stuff that speakers have a hard time with, but speakers can convey a soundstage that headphones can not, so its important to have them both when dealing with music production.

Monitors are typically powered, so you won't need an amplifier, and you wouldn't want something like a surround sound AVR anyway. You wall want a good sound card though, what kind of sound card are you using?

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
If your intended application is desktop production speakers, you will want near-field monitors. These are examples of near-field monitors. They are designed to be as neutral as possible and have a decent sound field in close proximity to the speakers. If you are serious like you say, I would advise getting a pair with good bass extension so you don't have to rely on a subwoofer as much for monitoring the bass. For monitoring, I would want to take the subwoofer out of the equation as much as possible, just relegate it to deep bass. Go for some monitors with 8" woofers and extension down to 50 hz if you can. Cross em over at 60 hz to the subwoofer.

If you intend to make bass heavy music, as I would infer from the phrase experimental electronica, my advise would be get a subwoofer with good bass extension. This will widen the palette of sound you have to work with, and it will also let you know if there is inappropriately deep bass in the mix- this can happen and it is something to watch out for. If I were you, I would also get a decent pair of headphones, to check your mix. Headphones can reveal stuff that speakers have a hard time with, but speakers can convey a soundstage that headphones can not, so its important to have them both when dealing with music production.

Monitors are typically powered, so you won't need an amplifier, and you wouldn't want something like a surround sound AVR anyway. You wall want a good sound card though, what kind of sound card are you using?
Not into bass heavy music at all. I get what you say, it does help, I will check about those monitors.
I still didnt get why the studio monitors are much better than, lets say, the pioneer ones for music production. That is something I would like to understand.

I do not have a sound card yet, I will have to buy one soon though, I know that.

Lets just compare M-Audio AV 40 Active 2-Way, (which are studio monitors are the same size as the bs22)

vs

Pioneer SP BS22 plus a good receptor, some Denon AVR, lets say.

What makes the studio monitors better for music production? I know nothing about this but I like to understand stuff.

Last edited:
G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Not into bass heavy music at all. I get what you say, it does help, I will check about those monitors.
I still didnt get why the studio monitors are much better than, lets say, the pioneer ones for music production. That is something I would like to understand.

I do not have a sound card yet, I will have to buy one soon though, I know that.

Lets just compare M-Audio AV 40 Active 2-Way, (which are studio monitors are the same size as the bs22)

vs

Pioneer SP BS22 plus a good receptor, some Denon AVR, lets say.

What makes the studio monitors better for music production? I know nothing about this but I like to understand stuff.

Edit. I have been searching and I got the difference between speakers and monitors.
Im sticking with speakers and receiver for now, because I am starting producing in one year from now and my main focus now is music listening.

I will start building up a small studio later on.

So Im going with the pioneer speakers, thank you for your help though, I had no idea. whatsoever.

The question remains, though.
Since 5.1 for music is pointless?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
There are very few "2.1" receivers and none within your price range. And, in all cases, there is no ".1" channel. It's simply a summed mono output, perhaps with a low pass filter.

Consider what you're looking for as a plain vanilla stereo receiver and using a powered subwoofer with speaker level inputs, and perhaps outputs.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The question remains, though.
Since 5.1 for music is pointless?
For the price of the Denon 591, it is hard to over-look or beat.
It can do a good job for stereo and 2.1 > and you have options
for the future, if needed. Also, if you buy a subwoofer, you will
get bass management. All in all, a good way to go.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Consider what you're looking for as a plain vanilla stereo receiver and using a powered subwoofer with speaker level inputs, and perhaps outputs.
Plain vanilla stereo receiver like?
What about the subwoofer?

My budget is around 300 and Im already buying the pioneers.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
LOL That might be a bit over his budget. :p

His budget is $300
Doh! :D I just read the OP and responded. I must have missed that part :p

Know any site that sells on europe or something?
JBL LSR 2325P Monitor - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Adam A5X B-Stock - Thomann UK Cyberstore

I was following this thought, if the speakers are really good for music listening why wouldnt they be for producing as well? Both focus on the same aspect, sound quality.
IF the speakers are accurate, they'll be good for either, or.

IF the speakers are inaccurate, they will only be good for music listening IF you prefer their inherent colorations.

What would be the difference between bs22 and some studio monitor around the same price?
It would depend very much on the specific studio monitor. That said, Studio monitors are usually powered so you'd be paying for electronics as part of the price. If a studio monitor is the same price as the BS22 then it probably uses cheaper parts to cover the amplification.

Why wouldnt the pioneer ones suit my production needs?
I think they'd make nice monitor speakers as they're pretty accurate.

I still didnt get why the studio monitors are much better than, lets say, the pioneer ones for music production.
THey aren't necessarily. Although all inexpensive speakers will be flawed in one way or another.

THe biggest advantage of an active studio monitor is that it will have treble and bass level switches, allowing you to tone things up or down depending on the room. Good studio monitors also tend to have much more even directivity than hi fi speakers, but that's not the case with the pioneers as they already have very even direcitivty.

Edit. I have been searching and I got the difference between speakers and monitors.
Im sticking with speakers and receiver for now, because I am starting producing in one year from now and my main focus now is music listening.
I'm confused..?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Plain vanilla stereo receiver like?
What about the subwoofer?

My budget is around 300 and Im already buying the pioneers.
See my first post on this thread. I guess you missed it when this was first suggested.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, i vaguely caught that part. I remember how hyped up those things were back in like 2001. For that kind of desktop speaker I always wanted the Monsoon Planarmedia 2.1 though :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
HAHA This is what someone on a different forum had him listening to:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
This was my HT through undergrad in college. Survived a dorm party or two, trips back and forth to and from college, being thrown, dropped, spilled on, and just generally abused to no end. For the amount of abuse it took, the system was more than worth $250 to me. Still have it and it still works like a charm :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis