Searching for the best sound system for my room, need help.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Well, I do read everyone posts here, I might forget some information though, due to the fact that this single thread has a lot of names I haven't heard before.

I know it is called a receiver but for some reason I got the word receptor stuck in my head. I am sorry. My mother's name is Maria but I keep calling her Mary instead, unintentionally, she thought about sending me to adoption. I keep telling her that I'm trying to become a better individual and son but I believe she is still growing hate on me. I can't remember her smile.

As for the receiver itself, I am going to buy a good external sound card in 1-2 months. But I still wonder if HDMI would provide a better sound quality than the normal sound ports. By the way, my laptop's analog outputs is damaged, it doesn't work. It does have digital output though. So digital vs HMDI?
I have heard somewhere that coaxial? provides the best quality, is it true?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For two channel listening, there won't be a difference in sound quality. If you are just listening to two channel, I would go with digital coax just to avoid some of the problems that can crop up in HDMI connections. HDMI can do uncompressed surround sound audio, which is something that digital coax can not do, so if you are watching DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD blu-rays, you will want HDMI.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

As for the receiver itself, I am going to buy a good external sound card in 1-2 months. But I still wonder if HDMI would provide a better sound quality than the normal sound ports. By the way, my laptop's analog outputs is damaged, it doesn't work. It does have digital output though. So digital vs HMDI?
I have heard somewhere that coaxial? provides the best quality, is it true?
For a tight budget, that Sony DB830 receiver will work, it has
digital connections, and the receiver has some power - and it
will drive the Cambridge speakers.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Thank you.
I found a Pioneer VSA-D802s with an interesting price, used.
Is the sony better than this one is there isn't really a big difference?

Also, there is something I need to know, will the receiver change the sound quality a lot or is it more a power boost than anything else?
I just don't feel like losing quality on the s30 speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you.
I found a Pioneer VSA-D802s with an interesting price, used.
Is the sony better than this one is there isn't really a big difference?

Also, there is something I need to know, will the receiver change the sound quality a lot or is it more a power boost than anything else?
I just don't feel like losing quality on the s30 speakers.
The Sony receiver that I recommended is a better option
for speakers with lower impedance. The older and cheaper
Pioneers, tend not to do as well.

Speakers make the biggest difference in sound quality, and
not the receivers.

Your option and choice.

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
The Sony receiver that I recommended is a better option
for speakers with lower impedance. The older and cheaper
Pioneers, tend not to do as well.

Speakers make the biggest difference in sound quality, and
not the receivers.

Your option and choice.
Thank you, I will contact the Sony seller.

I know most of my questions are noobish, I really know nothing about sound hardware. And Im trying to make no mistakes with the low budget I got.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I know most of my questions are noobish, I really know nothing about sound hardware. And Im trying to make no mistakes with the low budget I got.
Noobish questions are the most fun to answer! :D We were all in your position at one point.

To be more accurate (not the Z wasn't correct) receivers and amps do alter the sound, but most of them do so by such a miniscule amount that it matters not.

For instance, my 6004 has a frequency response of only +/- .25db. I'm not gonna be able to hear that change.

They Hypex Ncore amps alter frequency by like .0004db.

Some recievers are better than others. Some (like a panisonic I saw) alter the FR greatly. The Pan. I saw was +/- 3db. That is the worst i've ever seen for an amp/receiver, and it's not the norm.

That said, I wouldn't worry about that within your budget. Most receivers have fine FR, much better than any speaker i've ever seen.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
To be more accurate (not the Z wasn't correct) receivers and amps do alter the sound, but most of them do so by such a miniscule amount that it matters not.

That said, I wouldn't worry about that within your budget. Most receivers have fine FR, much better than any speaker i've ever seen.
I have owned a lot of receivers, and I do hear a small difference.
However, not enough difference to shake a hornets nest, on this
Thanksgiving day.:)

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I have owned a lot of receivers, and I do hear a small difference.
However, not enough difference to shake a hornets nest, on this
Thanksgiving day.:)
I would call most of that placebo & clipping, unless you bought a poor receiver. :eek: :D

I don't know about you, but I don't want to shake a hornet's nest on ANY DAY! :p :D :cool:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would call most of that placebo & clipping, unless you bought a poor receiver. :eek: :D

I don't know about you, but I don't want to shake a hornet's nest on ANY DAY! :p :D :cool:
The cheap Sherwood's tend to perform well.:)

I agree, I never want to stir/shake up a hornets nest - there tends
to be enough of that going on, from time to time.

Last edited:
G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
While searching for the Cambridge s30 on my dealer's catalog, I saw the s70.
Is it worthing buying them for more 100ish dollars than the s30?

Also, do these speakers come with cables for the receiver connection already?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Yes, absolutely. This wont mean much to you, but the S30 uses a poop 1st order crossover, while the S70 at least uses a 2nd. :D

Not quite sure, but I doubt it!

G

GodspeedYou

Audioholic Intern
Yes, absolutely. This wont mean much to you, but the S30 uses a poop 1st order crossover, while the S70 at least uses a 2nd. :D
I see, now, what is a crossover? I have heard the name before in this thread, so I guess it would be nice to know!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I see, now, what is a crossover? I have heard the name before in this thread, so I guess it would be nice to know!
The crossover is a passive component inside a loudspeaker that tells the drivers which frequencies to play.

I don't require all speakers use 4th order..it really depends on the drivers, but speakers with 1st (cap and coil first..not true first) are trying to reduce cost or fix a phase "problem" (although this would take a TRUE 1st order, many companies still use the minimalist crossover and argue phase correction) that's been proven to be "audibly benign" and IMO speakers suffer because of it. I'm not saying he was wrong for suggesting it, or it doesn't sound good to him, but I think the S70 would be a superior speaker.

Sorry about that being a bit technical. In English i'm saying: they used a 1st order crossover because they were being cheap/wanted to sell a low price speaker.

For more info see:

The Crossover - Brain of your Loudspeaker System — Reviews and News from Audioholics

IMO, first order corssovers should be left in the 70s along with these, these, and these

Last edited:
ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
The crossover is a passive component inside a loudspeaker that tells the drivers which frequencies to play.

I don't require all speakers use 4th order..it really depends on the drivers, but speakers with 1st (cap and coil first..not true first) are trying to reduce cost or fix a phase "problem" (although this would take a TRUE 1st order, many companies still use the minimalist crossover and argue phase correction) that's been proven to be "audibly benign" and IMO speakers suffer because of it. I'm not saying he was wrong for suggesting it, or it doesn't sound good to him, but I think the S70 would be a superior speaker.

Sorry about that being a bit technical. In English i'm saying: they used a 1st order crossover because they were being cheap/wanted to sell a low price speaker.

For more info see:

The Crossover - Brain of your Loudspeaker System — Reviews and News from Audioholics

IMO, first order corssovers should be left in the 70s along with these, these, and these
Nice explanation, by the way I liked those crappy 70's 1st order xover speakers:D;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

Yes, the S70 speakers are worth it. Wire does not come with the
speakers.

Now with that said, >> I do not beat-up, or am bias against first
order crossovers. The S30 has good quality drivers and are placed
well/good on the cabinet, they have a nice off-axis response, and
measure better than some more expensive 2nd, 3rd or higher cross
over speakers. Now a lot of first order speakers can be poor, I have
owned older 1st order PSB and Paradigm speakers, that were real
popular - however, the Cambridge is better than them.:)

Now, as the Audio Word Turns.:)

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I don't always agree with Dennis. Although, if I saw the measurements my tune might change. :D

MurphyBlaster isn't working. :( Did he take it down? :eek:
Hmm it shouldn't be. I'll have to ask Dennis and possibly the web hosting place about that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis