Rifle scope/sight for .223/5.56?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The newer Minis are decently accurate but the older ones like mine needed some work to make them accurate. The was that first shot out went where you wanted but barrel harmonics and whip would cause quick followup shots to spread out. The popular (cheap) fix is an Accu-Strut which acts as a brace, but GunDoc (Great Western Gunsmithing) figured out that changing the barrel harmonics by cutting the length and adding weight to the end of the barrel, the reason for the brake, eliminated the issue and allowed him (along with stock bedding and other mods) to produce what he claims are 1 MOA Minis. Ruger started using slightly thicker barrels a couple of years ago which reduced the barrel whip and really improved out of the box accuracy.
I'm considering one of these:
Magnum Research .22LR Ambidextrous Thumbhole Stock Rifle - Style # MLR22AT, MRI Shop / Firearms

Basically super light and sub MOA right out of the box.

Congrats! Check out the M&P compacts.
I am waiting on a Shield 9mm :)

It's always been up to the local sheriff, in about half the counties the sheriffs accept self defense as good enough cause to issue a permit. On the other hand about a half dozen counties restrict permits to the politically connected, business owners that carry cash or other valuables, and very large campaign donors. The rest are somewhere in the middle however there is a case before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals just waiting for a decision trying to force shall issue but it could go either way.
Yes up to the sheriff, but someplace like LA or the bay area, it is more or less impossible regardless of the gun views of that sheriff. The class that is offered up there, basically they guarantee that you will get it after taking the class (I think a class is required anyway?).

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'm considering one of these:
Magnum Research .22LR Ambidextrous Thumbhole Stock Rifle - Style # MLR22AT, MRI Shop / Firearms

Basically super light and sub MOA right out of the box.
Very nice! Have you looked at Tony Kidd's rifles? He makes the very best triggers and some of the best barrels on the market and is now making complete rifles.

I'm a bit of a rimfire nut (my other expensive hobby :D) and here are a few 10/22s that I modified for myself. There isn't much Ruger in most of them and the only Ruger component in #4 is the bolt. I have a few other 22s including an Anschutz but I really love 10/22s. I'm guessing you've probably figured out that I like 10/22s and walnut stocks. :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, we pm'ed about some of those. Yours and a friend of mine's custom 10-22s (he's a gunsmith) got me sort of half-hearted looking and that's when I found the MLR-22AT. One of the local shops apparently carries them too, but the Shield is first. Damn, I like the stock on the last one there :)

Hmmm...even weirder, I think we have the same couch (material at least) LOL.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
3 & 5 were just restocked and #4 I just built from parts I've had on hand a few years. I'm all done, no more 22s, I can break this addiction. :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord

the reflex sight i ordered last was mistakenly overnighted to me by my friend ... oh well ... i'm half happy he did :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yikes, Mike. If I'm ever turned into a zombie, I'll be sure to come at you from behind.

:eek: :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
"The hardest part about the zombie apocalypse ... Is pretending I'm not excited"

^gotta get that shirt :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They are back in stock! Just ordered Primary arms red dot with high mount (co-witness).

Last edited:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Yikes, Mike. If I'm ever turned into a zombie, I'll be sure to come at you from behind.

:eek: :D
You'll have worse luck with me then, I'd start shooting (accurately) at zombie sized targets when they're within 800m, maybe 600m on a very windy day.

Steve

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You'll have worse luck with me then, I'd start shooting (accurately) at zombie sized targets when they're within 800m, maybe 600m on a very windy day.
Good to know. I'll be sure to set up some targets at 800m...and then come at you from behind. :D

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Good to know. I'll be sure to set up some targets at 800m...and then come at you from behind. :D
Ya, that'll work just fine ... make note of that in your "What to do when turned into a zombie notebook" :)

Steve

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
and i'm done with this kind of rifle ... moving on to concentrate on another hobby

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like the short one came out really nice! How do they shoot?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm still shooting 1" high on the short one (but at least they're grouped together), the instructions on the sight was counter to what was happening and it got dark before i finished.

i also don't like the MOE grip. i figure,i won't like the MIAD grip as well. i like the grip on the 20" one, but don't know what it is exactly. am looking at Ergo or Mako grips.

i haven't tried the suppressor on the long one yet ... it was locally DIY'ed ... so there's a chance it will blow up in my face :)
but before i adjusted it, it was super easy to shoot ... if one had a table ... because it is super heavy.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
how is it? do you get "tunnel" effect looking through it?
two eyes open?

do you get a "canted" view when not at a certain distance?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't shot with it yet. Just from trying it out, no tunnel effect, but it is a little different than an actual scope since there is no magnification; that makes it easier to acquire without having a perfect sight picture (meaning eye position relative to it can vary a little more than with magnified). I've moved my head forward and back and it seems to maintain position fine, but without the front post, it would be impossible to tell what you were aiming at because you do get canting. Only took a few minutes to tweak it to align with the current sight setup, but will have to go shoot to dial it in fully. Need to get a fold down rear sight now.

Will either order or pick up a Magpul this weekend, I just flipped up the long distance sight on the rear to make the dot easier to see. I bought weaver offset rails because I didn't know this one came with the cantilever mount which is intended to allow the addition of a magnifier even without a full length rail. You can adjust the intensity of the dot so it essentially gets "finer" for different lighting conditions. The highest setting is too bright in everything but direct sunlight, but making it a little dimmer sort of makes it easier to acquire too, at least with two eyes. With one eye, I can dial it almost all the way down and still see it fine. I like it so far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis