Rifle scope/sight for .223/5.56?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. At first almost sounded south-east Asian, but I think she may actually be middle eastern.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
fingers crossed that i get what i really ordered.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All the stuff I've gotten from them so far was legit and what I ordered. They are in Florida though, so their shipments and/or inventory may be affected by the storms in the northeast.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm just worried about a mistake in item/quantity because i couldn't tally the final amount. it's going to be a long week. (and sad i won't be able to try OD green ... oh well)

i went with UPS over USPS so it can be tracked

edit:
i think i got it tallied after i tried removing some combinations using MSexcel.

i had ordered one AFG in black and one AFG in OD green ... i'm guessing, they included just one AFG in my order when i switched to all black.
i tried to ask yesterday how many AFG's were in my order ... her reply "didn't we go through this already yesterday?"

whatever. i'll order from amazon. it's just too bad i'll have to wait for the mountsplus delivery to confirm BEFORE i order again from amazon. did save a bit of money from the deal though. (worth it if buying multiple items, to cancel out shipping cost)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, other things I went ahead and bought off amazon because the free 2 day shipping offset the cost of shipping even with the discount at MSP. The things I've been buying at MSP have been lower priced than anywhere else including Amazon even with free shipping. I don't mind waiting because the shipping wasn't slow, but my last order took a few days for them to actually ship; so the total time was longer than expected despite the shipping being also just 2 days. I also end up ordering multiple items to get a better discount; ordered an Uncle Mike's holster on this order too because it was 20% cheaper on there before the 10% off.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
what red dot sight do you guys use for your AR15?

this looks really nice, but also very expensive (500+usd)

but am debating spending that much on something just for the "looks"

others that looks like it are bushnell first strike and burris fastfire (300usd max)

-0-

primary arms is cheap but out of stock

but am not sure i want to rock the "Scope" look

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
EO is a good choice, but yes, expensive. I've heard from a few other gun nuts that Bushnell was no good, which surprised me, but I haven't tried one myself. Primary has been out of stock for a long time, so I am not sure what's up with them. "Look" doesn't matter, being able to acquire and hit your target does :)

A little shooting this weekend. Lots with the .22 and some 9mm as well.

Our blue oaks are pretty tough

Had to call MSP about my order because it still said pending (I never received a confirmation that it was placed). They said it never went through, so they put it through and said it would ship today.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ok, ignoring look ... i thought it was easier to see through the short-square glass of these kinds of sights than the small diameter long tubes of the other types.

i don't know what to get ...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Burris is small because most of the pics include no mount (you can buy it with or without). With the mount, it will be around the same height as others AFAIK.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
120usd sightmark vs 500usd eotech 517

if i get a working sightmark, i'd save big bucks. on the other hand, i'm not that lucky with the electronics lottery ...

both are out of stock. but will put in an order for the sightmark. i can't justify the EOtech considering UBL is already dead :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, but is that EO a magnifying? The Burris is just a holographic red dot and nothing more. I've seen the various EOs in person at the shop up the street. For what I need to do, something like the Burris is probably good enough. What you're paying for with the EO is likely something that will survive much more abuse too.

I wouldn't justify the price of the EO either unless I was in actual combat or competition. I was reading an article in G&A yesterday and the guy said he competes with an Aimpoint. Trijicon would be another, but also depending on the features, can get pretty expensive.

Need IMCloud to weigh in here... :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
they're both 1x, but the EO and others have a bigger "viewing screen" than the burris.

the sightmark is only a reflex sight though, and the EOtech is a holo sight.

itschris

itschris

Red Dots / Holo sights work different than traditional scopes. There's no eye relief associated with them. There's no traditional Field of View on these type of optics. On my one 16" AR, I have a 3X-9X 40mm as my primary optic and an AimPoint T1 micro redot on a 45 degree mount forward on at the end of my rail. The T1 is about the same size as that little FastFire you got. You're sort of looking through to optic to the target. The the perimeter of the optic disappears and you just really see the dot floating. You don't need a large diameter houseing for a red dot. Actually smaller is better. If anyone talk Field of View or stuff like that with a Red Dot, simply dismiss what they're saying. They don't know what they're talking about. The T1 is one of the most popular red dots with the military (who have the option to choose), 3 gunners, and other tactical folks.

Don't worry about "viewing screen." Seriously there is no such thing really when you're talking red dots. That being said, the FastFire III is a fine little sight. It's not bullet proof like the Aimpoints or Trijicons, but I'd still honestly take it over an Eotech any day... but I really don't like Eotechs at all and would never put one on any rifle...your mileage my vary however.

itschris

itschris

...you know thinking about it... there's a lot to consider in the Eotech range. You can get an AimPoint H1 which is the non-night vision capable T1. You can find great deals on those. Also, check out the AimPoint Patrol Optic. Essentially an M2/M3 Aimpoing. Even still the Aimpoint ML3 can be had for a very good price. If you're not looking to go traditional scope and you don't want to spend the big bucks on an ACOG, then a red dot is definately the way to go. If you can spend about $500 give or take a some, you can get the best in the business... Aimpoint. I'll post some pics of a couple of my rifles. I just finished my SBR not too long ago and got a Trijicon TA33 with green horseshoe reticle. It's pricey, but a completely awesome optic.

Go on AR15.com and check out the EE (Equipment Exchange) There's a lot of good deals there on new stuff and a lot of good people selling. You can get some great deals on Aimpoints since they're the most popular.

itschris

itschris

NoveskeSBR1a_zps8d6f924b.jpg
This my 10.5 Noveske SBR with Trijicon TA33 on a LaRue QD mount

MampP1a_zpsd3def3f6.jpg
This is one my others with a Burris MTAC 1.5X-6X 40mm on a Bobro mount.

This reminds me... mounts are absolutely critical. LaRue, Bobro, and ADM are the top players. For top of the line AimPoint mount you're looking at about $150 give or take. It's worth it. I've done cheaper optics and have got rid of them all. I've got with Aimpoints or Trijicon on all my "go-to" serious rifles. On my more fun oriented rifles I have Burris.... a very very very solid optic company with great glass and features at a very reasonable prices (considering) just not quite as robust and military capabable ruggedness as Aimpoint and Trijicon.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i guesss i could also try the burris fastfire on the long rifle since the primary arms 3x scope i got has rails on it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis