Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I wish I could agree. It could just be because the whole situation is frustrating, but I've got a foul taste in my mouth about B&H's customer service at the moment. They're friendly enough I suppose, but I'd rather have a cynical social reject who gets stuff done than a fake smile who quotes store policies and offers empty apologies for my inconvenience.

It took 3 emails for me to convince them to have UPS schedule a pickup; and even then I'm still skeptical that UPS will handle a 75" TV. This is going to end up requiring three more afternoons I have to take off from work -- one for UPS to come and tell me the TV is too big, the second for the freight company which should've been sent in the first place, and the third for when I order a replacement and it arrives. I'm also going to have to return a bunch of 3D glasses. What a hassle! I couldn't get B&H to agree to honor the current promotion on this TV after my refund is issued. I couldn't get them to agree to price match. I couldn't get them to offer a similar in-stock model as an exchange, or advance RMA / hot swap. I feel that they are making no concessions, and no extra effort to keep my business. Because I took a chance on them and failed, most likely the only TV I'll be able to buy with the features I want will be a month later and ten inches smaller. Somebody owes me some ass kissing for this.
Amazon ain't perfect by any means, but I can honestly say I've never had trouble with their returns department. That includes returning a 92" projection screen and a 135" projection screen.

I would push for more of a discount or a swap to a more expensive TV that is in stock if UPS refuses to accept it. Push hard too.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
At this point I think I'm going to limp along on my old TV until the next major holiday. It's 8 years old and has started spontaneously rebooting within the first few minutes of its being powered on, but after it warms up it's good for hours of uninterrupted binge watching. And maybe this is a blessing in disguise anyway. I think I'd prefer a TV that uses passive 3D glasses. The flicker of active is sort of like watching TV through a fan, or trying to work on an old CRT monitor with a 60Hz refresh rate.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That sucks. Wonder if it got damaged somehow during shipping or if it is a QC problem?
Seems to be a QC problem. example 1 | example 2. My current Samsung TV has been great, but it was made back in the old days before exploding phones and washing machines and such. What's the brand to get for longevity these days? Is it Vizio? Panasonic? Sony? I'm hesitant about Sony as well. Bought my parents a 46" DLP a few years ago, and they only had it long enough for the warranty to run out before the top 3 or 4 inches developed a rosy red bar. I had a Sharp progressive scan CRT TV years ago, and I'm pretty sure that would've outlasted my grandchildren if I still had it. I somehow doubt modern models have the same level of durability though.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly, samsung used to be one of the best in terms of reliability. Panasonic was #1, but you are going to be hard pressed to find a top end model made by them.

Sony seems to have gotten a lot better in terms of price and quality. They use IPS panels for most of the TVs too so that is a big plus for someone like me that LCD ghosting is a big issue. My brother has one of the 900 series and really likes it. I'm looking at the 700 series for my office, but am still leery of how bad LCD PQ used to be.

I don't know the model, but my mother-in-law just got one of the curved 65" samsungs and it is terrible. Needs to be calibrated badly, but she doesn't notice so it prolly won't happen. Motion blu/ghosting on it makes it hard to watch. Plus the curved screen just looks stupid IMHO.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm up to 5 free months of Amazon prime. I wish I had been paying closer attention, I'd probably be up to 8. Oh well. 5 is still pretty good.

EDIT: Amazon is giving me the run around and is now trying to use some fine print to avoid continuing to give me a free month every time a delivery is late.

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
OMG!!! This was on the local news this morning. Now THAT'S cold!!!!!
upload_2016-12-11_8-38-2.png

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Follow-up to this post (and a few subsequent), I shipped the television back last week. Felt like pulling teeth to get B&H to have the freight company come pick it up. They originally issued the RMA with a return shipping label for UPS Ground. A UPS guy came by to deliver an Amazon package, and while he was here I had him eyeball the TV's box. He suspected it was too big. I later measured the box and compared it to UPS's shipping policies, and he was right. When I told B&H about the encounter and the measurements, they reluctantly re-issued a return with ABF.

Edit: I got an email today from B&H for a return received acknowledgement for my RMA. That's a relief. I'll have the money back on my credit card in about a week I guess.

After I get the refund I'm thinking of replacing the TV with an ultra short throw projector and fixed mount screen. It'll be cheaper, and I think my wall will handle a 92" projected image. Currently leaning toward the Optoma GT5500 projector and an Elite Screens ambient light rejecting fixed frame screen. Any thoughts or recommendations? Also, since the screen I picked out is non-depolarizing, I was toying with the idea of getting one of these passive 3D modulators (or modulator option 2).

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Follow-up to this post (and a few subsequent), I shipped the television back last week. Felt like pulling teeth to get B&H to have the freight company come pick it up. They originally issued the RMA with a return shipping label for UPS Ground. A UPS guy came by to deliver an Amazon package, and while he was here I had him eyeball the TV's box. He suspected it was too big. I later measured the box and compared it to UPS's shipping policies, and he was right. When I told B&H about the encounter and the measurements, they reluctantly re-issued a return with ABF.

Edit: I got an email today from B&H for a return received acknowledgement for my RMA. That's a relief. I'll have the money back on my credit card in about a week I guess.

After I get the refund I'm thinking of replacing the TV with an ultra short throw projector and fixed mount screen. It'll be cheaper, and I think my wall will handle a 92" projected image. Currently leaning toward the Optoma GT5500 projector and an Elite Screens ambient light rejecting fixed frame screen. Any thoughts or recommendations? Also, since the screen I picked out is non-depolarizing, I was toying with the idea of getting one of these passive 3D modulators (or modulator option 2).
I don't know about those two specific products, but I've had good luck with Elite screens with 3 screens. I also have purchased my Dad two Optoma projectors and have been very happy with both. Projector is the way to go hands down IMO.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I got my parents an Amazon Echo for Christmas. They love it and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by it. The voice recognition is awesome and the more things you subscribe to (spotify, tunein, ect) the more useful it is. However, with only Amazon Prime it's still pretty sweet. So cool I even ordered an Amazon Tap for my Dad for a late Christmas present. I didn't think he would like it as much as he does so I didn't want to order one if he didn't like it.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of it. Sounds great for whatever 360 degree speaker system they've got going on in this thing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Same. Got my dad one of the dots. Got one for me too. Still getting to know it, but I like it so far.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Our little corn dog connoisseur gets mentioned and not even a Like.

What could it all mean?
Veggie corn dogs...

Without Adam I have stopped searching for meaning in life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Puppy might have a UTI. Little red in the urnine last night. All 25 gallons of it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
If your wife ever says, "Let's paint the house interior and replace all the flooring & carpet", my suggestion is to reply, "Let's not".

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The American way of communicating to each other is funny. Things like "I don't mean to..." or "I'm not accusing you" or "I'm not saying you did" are immediately followed by the opposite of that. Rather than have it out, there is this faux politeness that is more insulting than just saying what you mean.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis