Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am going to do some more listening today. You never know, I may
feel different today. Like I said, I may be on an island by myself.:)
I am a big fan of instruments and female vocals.

However I agree that most people will chose the towers, the so-called
{shine} or {vivid} character, can be addictive.
OK, this is round 2 of the Pioneer FS52 and BS22 play-down. > The speakers were
set up in a somewhat larger listening area. The BS22 was set on top of the towers,
up-right and not upside down. > I wanted the tweeter away from the FS52 baffle.
Music was from Gloria Estefan, Grover Washington Jr., Queen Latifah, Ben E King,
Dianna Krall, Chris Botti, Diane Schuur, Tony Bennet and KD Lang. >> No rock
for this session.

I pretty much get the same results, the tower has that vivid or shine character, over
the BS22. However, the BS22 is not a wimp - and when placed on the tower it does
hold up good. On some sources, minus the bass and some depth, it will not be easy
to pick which one is playing. The BS22 has decent bass for the size, and will get loud
enough in a 30 X 20 open room - for someone to say "turn it down!" > However, still
not recommended for head-banging levels.

Over-all, I still feel that the midrange and treble balance on the 22 is better than the 52.
On some recordings I do prefer the towers >> and the dedicated midrange driver, does
help. However, that is a good crossover on the 22, and it holds up good. >> Due to the
vivid, or shine character on the 52 - along with the size and power handling of the tower,
and the $200 price point, most people will prefer the towers.

I still put the modded Cambridge up against them, and once again the Cambridge stood
out. It was placed on top of the towers like the BS22. The overall resolution is better, and
they have a more precise image and central image.

Now for the fun of it, and to high-light what one can obtain at a higher level. I placed them
against the $1200 list price Boston E60, and $1400 list price Boston VS260. >> This is the
so-called shine or vividness that I like, >> because it comes with real good detail, definition
and depth - plus more precise imaging and soundstage presentation. However, the Pioneer
speakers did not sound bad when compared, and at their price point, you do get more than
what the average mass market has to offer - they are good sounding fun speakers, that can
bring you the taste of overall good sound. No one needs to apologize for owning them.

Now I am tired - however, I had fun.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone mounted the 22's on the wall yet? If so, what did you use? I'd rather not spend $60 on a bracket for a $50 speaker. Doesn't make much sense.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone mounted the 22's on the wall yet? If so, what did you use? I'd rather not spend $60 on a bracket for a $50 speaker. Doesn't make much sense.
There is no real way to mount them other than a wall-bracket,
like the PinPoint 40 > or a wall-mount shelf. > With the wall-
mount shelf, they still need room for the port to breathe.

As far as how much to invest, it comes down to how important
the sound is to you.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There is no real way to mount them other than a wall-bracket,
like the PinPoint 40 > or a wall-mount shelf. > With the wall-
mount shelf, they still need room for the port to breathe.

As far as how much to invest, it comes down to how important
the sound is to you.
That's what I was afraid of. Mounting bracket costs the same as the speaker. I'm going to see if I can find an alternative before I grab some of those.

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
Alright guys, I think I'm going to dish out a little extra and go for the Polk Audio RTi A9, instead. Somebody at work nearly has me convinced. I won't decide for sure until I am ready to purchase my television (probably within the next month).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Alright guys, I think I'm going to dish out a little extra and go for the Polk Audio RTi A9, instead. Somebody at work nearly has me convinced. I won't decide for sure until I am ready to purchase my television (probably within the next month).
I'm curious to how they convinced you.

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
I'm curious to how they convinced you.
Outrageous accommodation through Polk Audio's program. I've seen a lot of good discounts in my time. This is the most surprising. To be honest, I'm still completely back and forth. I don't think I have what it takes to power the RTi A9's with my AVR3312, and the size is pretty big considering my apartment. Does anyone know how the RTi A9 (and its HT family) compares to the 52FS?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The RTi A9 is a good speaker. I think I'd take it over the Pioneer at the same price point.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think I have what it takes to power the RTi A9's with my AVR3312
I have a feeling you'll be just fine. The 3312 can output 225wpc RMS into 4 ohms x 2 ch driven @ 1% THD.

If in case you don't like the sound, don't blame it on the amp, blame it on the speakers and room. :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm still completely back and forth. I don't think I have what it takes to power the RTi A9's with my AVR3312, and the size is pretty big considering my apartment. Does anyone know how the RTi A9 (and its HT family) compares to the 52FS?
There seems to be a lot of fear with receivers out there. The Denon
is a good receiver and can drive the Polk. The Polk will sound bigger
and louder and have more bass. >> However, my preference is still
the Pioneer > because of the balance, tonal character and that good
tweeter. Your choice/call, and good luck.

Last edited:
C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
See, I've got the money. I just am OCD about getting a good value from my purchase. I may go with the pioneers and get the rti a9s later...

zieglj01, you really feel that the pioneer is a better speaker?

D

Drumheller

Enthusiast
See, I've got the money. I just am OCD about getting a good value from my purchase. I may go with the pioneers and get the rti a9s later...

I'm in the same situation. Been considering the RTi A9s for weeks and missed NewEgg's last deal on them. I recently bought the Pioneer SC-1222-K receiver and wasn't sure if I would need another amp with those speakers or not.

Also considering the new Pioneers. If you do pick up the A9s, I would very much like to know your opinion after setup and listening!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

What I like and prefer, you may not like and prefer > I do not guarantee
anything. If it comes down to overall loudness and mainly home theater,
for larger type rooms - then Polk is a good deal. However for me, I do not
see going from B&W to Polk. Do your own audition, it comes down to you.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Outrageous accommodation through Polk Audio's program. I've seen a lot of good discounts in my time. This is the most surprising. To be honest, I'm still completely back and forth. I don't think I have what it takes to power the RTi A9's with my AVR3312, and the size is pretty big considering my apartment. Does anyone know how the RTi A9 (and its HT family) compares to the 52FS?
I know the discount. Hard to pass up :D. If you don't like the polk's you can always sell them and make money since the discount is so bit. You should get a similar discount on the pioneer's. I know I did. There is an employee login on the pioneer site. If your boss can't find it, you should be able to contact your pioneer rep and get it from them.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm in the same situation. Been considering the RTi A9s for weeks and missed NewEgg's last deal on them. I recently bought the Pioneer SC-1222-K receiver and wasn't sure if I would need another amp with those speakers or not.

Also considering the new Pioneers. If you do pick up the A9s, I would very much like to know your opinion after setup and listening!
In my opinion you should have no problem driving the Polks with your Pioneer, having a Class D amp stage may present a problem with difficult loads with 4 or lower Ohm loads, the 1222 would pair well with the 52's.;), I have to agree with Zieg, if you want louder bigger (not better) sound then go with the Polks. I think the loud really comes down to the in your face forward (bright)presentation, that's just me but who am I :D

D

Drumheller

Enthusiast
In my opinion you should have no problem driving the Polks with your Pioneer, having a Class D amp stage may present a problem with difficult loads with 4 or lower Ohm loads, the 1222 would pair well with the 52's.;), I have to agree with Zieg, if you want louder bigger (not better) sound then go with the Polks. I think the loud really comes down to the in your face forward (bright)presentation, that's just me but who am I :D
Thanks, I appreciate the input!

The loud might be what I want. Most of the music I listen to is either rock and roll or metal. My current HTiB leads to listening fatigue when I turn them up louder. I like to listen loud and feel the music.

I am planning to add a sub as well.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks, I appreciate the input!

The loud might be what I want. Most of the music I listen to is either rock and roll or metal. My current HTiB leads to listening fatigue when I turn them up louder. I like to listen loud and feel the music.

I am planning to add a sub as well.
I'm an old rocker from the early 70's and also like that genre of music, the 52's definitely rose to the occasion.....;) With decent sub :eek: :)

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
If you are that concerned, try to get both in your home to compare, and return or sell the loser. If you want the polks that bad, it will keep bugging you. I have only listened to the tsi (same as monitor I think) and rti in the store, I wasn't impressed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis