Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
The Pioneer can and will get loud - however, I do not reccomend them for head-banging levels.

Edit: > I do not reccomend the Pioneer subs.[/QUOTE]

Well what do you consider "head banging levels"??? By head banging levels do you mean concert loud?

Hmmm okay well considering you don't recommend pioneer subs, are there any you would recommend? If I got the pioneers but not the sub I would get the 5.0 setup. A sub that blends well with them would be ideal since quality blending and a good soundstage seems very important. Obviously I dont want a sub that stands out from the speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well what do you consider "head banging levels"??? By head banging levels do you mean concert loud?

Hmmm okay well considering you don't recommend pioneer subs, are there any you would recommend? If I got the pioneers but not the sub I would get the 5.0 setup. A sub that blends well with them would be ideal since quality blending and a good soundstage seems very important. Obviously I dont want a sub that stands out from the speakers.
If I had to guess (which I do) I would imagine 100db or so. VERY loud. Although concert levels are around 115+db (IIRC).

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

When I say head-banging, I mean below room shaking levels, also below
club-house, concert and theater levels.

They do and will play loud - For most people they will play louder/above
the levels, that would be average for them. Some speakers can/will play
louder - however they do not sound as good, and can become annoying.
As I stated before > the Pioneers are not a wimp, and have good drivers.

They do have good bass > some speakers have more bass - however,
more bass does not guarantee all around good quality. > The Pioneer
is more natural and less artificial than a lot of towers that cost more.
The Pioneer's do not have a boom, boomy and mushy character. They
can take some power and it is not easy to make them burp.

For a tight budget and to help extend, blend and balance the bass >>
Look at Energy S10.3
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-S-10-3-800-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B001C3GQP2

HSU STF-2
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
When I say head-banging, I mean below room shaking levels, also below
club-house, concert and theater levels.

They do and will play loud - For most people they will play louder/above
the levels, that would be average for them. Some speakers can/will play
louder - however they do not sound as good, and can become annoying.
As I stated before > the Pioneers are not a wimp, and have good drivers.

They do have good bass > some speakers have more bass - however,
more bass does not guarantee all around good quality. > The Pioneer
is more natural and less artificial than a lot of towers that cost more.
The Pioneer's do not have a boom, boomy and mushy character. They
can take some power and it is not easy to make them burp.

For a tight budget and to help extend, blend and balance the bass >>
Look at Energy S10.3

HSU STF-2
wow thanks for the detailed response. Based on what you're saying it seems like they would be loud enough. I LOVE listening to music and movies at high volumes. But I know know my gf and friends are AS big of fans of it as I am and I wouldn't wanna disturb members of the house either when they sleep considering I watch a lot of things at night so it sounds like these would get loud enough for my needs.

And from what I have been reading on forums it sounds like they are similar in quality compared to PSB which i LOVE and seem a bit less cheap fitting better into my college student with a part time job budget.

Thank you for the sub recommendation. Those subs look pretty awesome, they aren't overly powerful are they? I want one that can throw down but one that I can turn down a bit at night so its not waking others up but can still deliver. Out of those two which is your favorite? and do you have any others you recommend?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for the sub recommendation. Those subs look pretty awesome, they aren't overly powerful are they? I want one that can throw down but one that I can turn down a bit at night so its not waking others up but can still deliver. Out of those two which is your favorite? and do you have any others you recommend?
The subs have a volume control, where you can turn them down.

I do not have a favorite between the 2 >> however, I would lean
towards the HSU - due to buying factory direct from the company,
and the good customer service

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
The subs have a volume control, where you can turn them down.

I do not have a favorite between the 2 >> however, I would lean
towards the HSU - due to buying factory direct from the company,
and the good customer service
Sorry, I know the subs have volume controls allowing you to turn them down. I just wasnt sure if turning them down would compromise the quality of the sound. or make the lower freqs be undermined by the speakers. thanks though.

But in you're opinion for the price there is not a better setup? If i buy today I can purchase the 5.0 setup for 450 bucks free shipping.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, I know the subs have volume controls allowing you to turn them down. I just wasnt sure if turning them down would compromise the quality of the sound. or make the lower freqs be undermined by the speakers. thanks though.

But in you're opinion for the price there is not a better setup? If i buy today I can purchase the 5.0 setup for 450 bucks free shipping.
I think the idea is you turn the sub down at night so as not to disturb others. Bass will penetrate walls much better than the other frequencies, so turning down the bass will help more than anything else.
Of course turning them down will compromise your SQ, but there is no practical way to have full bass without it being invasive to the other rooms of the home!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I liked this idea later in that thread! (macrame plant hanger with tilt adjustment).:)
It is interesting and creative - however, it works for that person.
Also, one way to avoid drilling into the speakers.:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

There is some compromise - however, not a waste with the sub.

For $450, the Pioneer is the leader of the pack.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Worth A try

Yes that would be head banging level for sure.
I really like this, I think I'm going to try this out with the BS41's for high back rears, seriously, my wife has tons of those hanging mesh basket things.;)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I found these guys, highly regarded...;)
Fluance-SXHTB 5 Speaker Surround Sound Home Theater System - Black
Less expensive too.....They have all kinds and priced 5.0 packages, I think Gene liked the Fluance sound.
Free shipping, available in five days...preorder
If you want to buy them - then go for it.:)

Cons
Weak midrange
Compressed highs
Muddy bass when used w/o subwoofer
Cardboard ports on center and surrounds

Pros
Super inexpensive
Good looking
Honest specs
Lifetime parts & labor warranty

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you want to buy them - then go for it.:)

Cons
Weak midrange
Compressed highs
Muddy bass when used w/o subwoofer
Cardboard ports on center and surrounds

Pros
Super inexpensive
Good looking
Honest specs
Lifetime parts & labor warranty
I don't want them, just thought I would throw them out for the OP to consider. How do you know so much about them, seriously?

J

jennkel08

Audioholic Intern
I think the idea is you turn the sub down at night so as not to disturb others. Bass will penetrate walls much better than the other frequencies, so turning down the bass will help more than anything else.
Of course turning them down will compromise your SQ, but there is no practical way to have full bass without it being invasive to the other rooms of the home!
touche haha

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It is interesting and creative - however, it works for that person.
Also, one way to avoid drilling into the speakers.:)
That is creative way to do it, but I doubt my wife would ever let me do this. I don't want to drill into them, but with the round design I don't know if the clamping mounts that I've found will work on these speakers.

Would there be any way to insert a nut or something in the back like most wall mountable speakers? I don't want to hurt the speaker by putting holes in it, but I need to find a way to mount these things.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis