Pioneer Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS review

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
official Audioholics Review

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/floorstanding/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

Cnet Review:

The Pioneer SP-PK52FS is a remarkable achievement that dramatically lowers the cost of high-quality sound. Yes, the system may be too large for some buyers, but if you can handle the size, it's one of the best values you'll find in home audio.

Full Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/pioneer-sp-pk52fs/4505-7868_7-35477425.html

I don't need this system, but I want one.;) Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I heard these speakers at CEDIA. For the price they are simply amazing and have no equal. The CNET review is dead on!

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
I wonder how the pioneer system compares to the infinity primus p363, pc351, and p163.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
jm78, I had the Infinities 162(same as 163) and felt something was missing and sold them. Many here love them though. Go give them a listen you might like them. Just bring a few CD's with you. If I were in the market for a 5.0 I'd get the Pioneers yesterday or the Jamo 5.0 if I were on a tight budget.

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
jm78, I had the Infinities 162(same as 163) and felt something was missing and sold them. Many here love them though. Go give them a listen you might like them. Just bring a few CD's with you. If I were in the market for a 5.0 I'd get the Pioneers yesterday or the Jamo 5.0 if I were on a tight budget.
Well, I previously had the p362 and pc350, not the 162 though. I thought they were nice. I did have a little bit of trouble with dialogue with the pc350 but I never placed it optimally with cabinet walls surrounding it. I sold them due to moving around back then.

I just purchased a new townhouse and will be moving there permanently, so I will be getting new speakers. Still don't know if I will be getting cheap speakers such as these pioneer's, getting the primus again, or splurging on some more expensive ones.

I will likely go listen to these pioneer's to see if they really live up to the hype.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I wonder how the pioneer system compares to the infinity primus p363, pc351, and p163.
I would say the Pioneers are an upgrade in the tweeter department for sure. They use a real ferrite magnet and their drivers have vented pole pieces. Plus they did a great crossover design in these pups. I just don't understand their retail pricing :confused:

I will be getting a pair to review and will see how loud they play in comparison as well.

J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
Hmm, if this Andrew Jones can design speakers this nice at such a low price point, then I wonder what he could do if he had a budget of $750-$1250 for a pair of tower speakers.

I think a lot of people are looking to buy in this price range as well. It seems he only designs super expensive TAD speakers or these really low budget pioneers. No in-between with this guy, lol.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hmm, if this Andrew Jones can design speakers this nice at such a low price point, then I wonder what he could do if he had a budget of $750-$1250 for a pair of tower speakers.

I think a lot of people are looking to buy in this price range as well. It seems he only designs super expensive TAD speakers or these really low budget pioneers. No in-between with this guy, lol.
LOL good point.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

Rumor is, that he will get the green light, to make some
bookshelf speakers in the $499 range.

Last edited:
J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
Rumor is, that he will get the green light, to make some
bookshelf speakers in the $499 range.
Sounds great, hope he does and hopefully includes a center channel to go with the bookshelves.

I just listened to this interesting interview with Andrew Jones on youtube. You guys should check it out if you haven't seen it.

Home Theater Geeks 112: Good Speakers For Less - YouTube

He's a real fan of concentric drivers. Fascinating talk about waveguides, concentric drivers, and about the budget pioneer speakers he designed.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've had my pioneer floorstanders for about 15 years now and they've been great. Cheap as dirt, but 10" woofers seem to be a thing of the past with new speakers. I'm tempted to grab some of these to see how they sound. I'll wait for Gene's review first though. Nice to see a company put out a truly good budget system.

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
Those look solid. I really want to see the guts though, the inside of the cabinet and the crossover.

To be honest, that looks like the system I could recommend and more than enough for the standard listener.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG is probably now itching for some new karaoke speakers. :p
Why.......you...... :mad: :D

My P362 are actually boxed in the closet.

No, the only Pioneer I might consider would be the TAD S-2EX. And it ain't for karaoke. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I got a kick out of him talking about turning off the lights in an anechoic chamber and dropping acid.
He's still living the 70's - the rest of us had to grow up somewhere along the way. I guess we need OCD, LSD dropping types to obsess over and design great speakers on the cheap!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis